09-20-2003, 01:14 PM
Here is one of more to come.

Vic

Victor
09-20-2003, 01:16 PM
Another one

Victor
09-20-2003, 01:18 PM
It's a 99 Isuzu NPR HD with a 14,500GVW, and a 175hp Diesel engine, backed by an automatic Aison tranny.

Vic

Victor
09-20-2003, 01:20 PM
If you have any questions, let me know.

Vic

mc752000
09-20-2003, 02:19 PM
If you don't mind me asking how much does one like that run? Thank You!!

Victor
09-20-2003, 04:45 PM
You should be able to get into a truck like mine, and hang a set of ramps on the back for under $20k if you look hard enough.

I love my truck setup better than my truck, and trailer setup for a lot of reasons. With this cabover, I can get into parking spots, that I never would have gotten into with my truck, and trailer. This truck is much more comfortable to drive than my truck, and trailer were. I also have a workshop (with workbench, complete fist aid kit, eyewash station, and tools) with me whenever I need it. I have a workbench, and tools. All of this is sheltered so that I can be doing things like respooling trimmer heads, or changing blades when it starts storming in the middle of one of my routes. I also like the fact that I can shut the back door, and use the restroom wherever I might need to. I love the fact that I don't havve to look for a restroom anymore. I have a lot more usable space than my 16 foot trailer had too.

I've gotten customers just because of the truck. They tell me all the time, they love having the truck sitting in front of their house, because it looks so professional. It's also a rolling billboard. It gets a lot of attention.

I've added a storage cabinet, aand other goodies since these pics were taken, and need to take some updated pics.

Needless to say. Although there's absolutely nothing wrong with a truck, and trailer. I'll never go back to using that kind of setup for a cutting rig.

Victor

MacLawnCo
09-20-2003, 04:50 PM
Vic, i love it! What are the demensions of the box? WIll you now post the modifications you made to your ramp? I may have to come over and see this puppy in person this winter.

jason r.
09-20-2003, 04:50 PM
Awesome pics. That's the rig I want! ......what's your home address???? Just kidding:D Can't wait to see some more pics.

grassdaddy
09-20-2003, 04:54 PM
What kind of mpg,how does it run loaded out on freeway?--LOVE IT!!

mc752000
09-20-2003, 06:16 PM
Love the Set up!! I hear what you're saying on those stromy days when you get caught in them. So where did you all look for one of these set ups. I was thinking about buying a new truck with more power but I think I might just buy one of those. B/c my lil Mazda is still in great shape after 4 years it only has 38000 miles looks brand new inside and out except for one scratch on the tailgate. Anyways help me out with some websites or phone numbers if you got them handy.

GO LSU!!!!!!!!!!!

Wesley's Lawn
09-20-2003, 09:18 PM
Hows that ramp when its wet out and trying to drive the z up on it?

Wesley's Lawn
09-20-2003, 11:38 PM
Oh yea one other thing hows that going to work with clean ups? would you use another truck and trailer?

Victor
09-20-2003, 11:43 PM
First of all Mac, you can come over anytime. I'd be more than happy to show you anything about the truck you'd like to see. It would be much easier to show you the mods I made in person. The box is 16 feet long by 85 inches I believe. I'll have to measure the width of it to be sure. I can tell you this. It's wide enough to easily turn my Z around inside the truck.

Grassdaddy I'm getting about 15 to 16 mpg out of it around town, and it drives exactly the same when I have it loaded, as when it is empty. It has plenty of power on the highway too. I'll take you or Mac for a ride to show you what it drives like if you come check it out. When I romp it, it really moves out for a truck that size.

Handy Ramp makes the ramps that are on my truck MC. I did some modifications to the ramps to make them much easier in my opinion to live with in day, to day situations. I'll show you in person how to do these mods if you'd like.

The ramps are painted with a really good non-slip paint that gives excellent traction, even in wet weather Wesley. I've never slipped going up the ramps, nor going down in the rain. These ramps really are well made. There were only a couuple of things that I felt needed attention when I bought them.

I use a different truck for clean ups. One of my next purchases though will be a 14 foot dump trailer to tow behind my other truck. I feel the Isuzu is the perfect setup for cutting, and my other truck, and trailer will be the perfect setup for cleanups, and so on.

Thanks again for the compliments guys.

Vic

MacLawnCo
09-22-2003, 12:11 AM
Mc, heres the link to the ramps. http://www.handyramp.com/page6.html

vic, ill call you after the season ends. i bet you cant wait :)

Victor
09-22-2003, 04:27 PM
I can't wait for a little down time. That's for sure. It's been a long year.

Vic

Victor
09-22-2003, 04:30 PM
If you want to give me a call, I'll be glad to tell you anything you'd like to know about setting up an NPR this way. Email me for my # at CV2218@aol.com.

Vic

rodfather
09-22-2003, 06:19 PM
Nice rig...btw...how did you come up with the name Par 5 Lawn Care Inc.?

Victor
09-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the compliment Rod.

When I started my business. I wanted to use the name "A Cut Above", but there was a company in town using that name already as I found out. The next few days I brainstormed, for a name that would make people think of beautiful grass, and came up with the name "Par 5 Lawn Care". I'm incorporated, so obviously the Inc.

With the name Par 5 Lawn Care, I can offer a "Greens Keeper Package", and use other catchy names that go hand in hand with beautiful lawns. The customers love it too.

By the way. You, Mac, Jim Lewis, John Gamba, and 65 Hoss are some of the many people on here that I love reading posts from. Keep the great posts, and replies coming. Thanks for all the great info you guys give. I really do appreciate it.

Victor

SpudsM15
09-25-2003, 09:28 PM
Vic, cool setup looks good, nice and clean too.
Only problem i could see is I have some low bridges around my house that i'd have to make some detours....
Do you have another truck for clean ups?to haul away the stuff?
I can see haveing a box truck very handy when transporting some sensitive plants... sure beats covering it up everytime!

Victor
09-25-2003, 10:09 PM
Yea. I sure do. I have a truck that I use for purposes, that the box truck isn't good for, but I'm working on buying a 14 foot Liberty dump trailer, so I'll have a rig that works as good on clean-ups, as this rig does on running cutting routes. It sure makes things so much easier.

Vic

Simone Lawn Service
09-25-2003, 10:28 PM
Nice Setup! The inside of the box is clean and very organized. We have a lot of Isuzus' in our rental fleet where I work, and I can tell you that they aren't in the shop very often for repairs-just regular maintenance.

GTLC
10-18-2003, 08:57 PM
Hey Vic how big is the body on that rig?

Victor
10-23-2003, 10:49 PM
I'm sorry it took me so long to reply to your question. It's been awhile since I stopped in the Truck, and Trailer Forum. The box on my truck is 16 feet long. If you have any more questions, just let me know, and I'll help you all I can.

Victor

lawn perfection
10-24-2003, 12:36 PM
Vic thats a real nice setup, like the idea of everything being inside.

Victor
10-24-2003, 01:25 PM
It really does make cuttin so much easier. I like the idea of being able to park my truck, and walk 30 feet to my car, and going home in the evenings. I used to hate, having to hook up the trailer, and loading everything up at the start of every day. Just to have to do the opposite when I was done in the evenings.

Vic

Expert Lawns
10-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Par 5 Lawn Care - makes me think you only do golf courses. Obviously you don't, but just thought I'd give you my opinion. I love the truck. Gate looks STEEEEEEEP What about those windy days on the expressway? Can you feel the sway?

Victor
10-25-2003, 12:44 AM
I can't remeber ever feeling any sway in this truck. It is very comfortable to drive. I'm more comfortable driving it around, than my pickup, and trailer. The ramp is the longest one Handy Ramp makes. It's a 12 footer, but I still have to pull onto it, at an angle to keep from scraping the back of the Lazer on the pavement. Lol I don't even know where to start about your assesment of my company name. I just think it's very funny. The customers sure do like it. :)

Victor

gogetter
10-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Vic, great looking rig there. I have some questions.

It looks like you have springs or something on the sides of the ramp to assist in lifting, can you tell us more about this? Maybe a closer picture of them?

I know you said you use a separate truck and trailer for clean ups and debris. I guess my initial thought would be "gee, that's a lot of extra expense" (insurance, registrations, storage fees, maintenance, repairs).

So how does one justify the extra expense? In other words, how do you know it's worth it?

Now if you run more then one crew (say, a cutting crew and a landscaping crew), then it makes obvious sense. But is it worth it for a single crew (2 man) operation?

I ask these questions because I've thought a lot about a box truck myself, but I too would need a trailer or something for clean ups and debris. And since I would have to rent space in a yard to keep the box truck and a trailer because I can't keep them at my home, I'm trying to figure out how I would justify the costs.

Where can I see savings? I suppose for one, the fuel mileage you mentioned is better then my current truck.

Perhaps save a few trips throughout the season running back to the shop to get a tool that I forgot to throw in my pick up bed.
A big box truck would be like a shop on wheels with ALL tools inside.

Any other ways I can see savings? Thanks.

Victor
10-25-2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the compliment. I've always believed in using the right tool for the right job. I've been a mechanic at America West airlines for over ten years, and have learned that rule to be true, time, and again.`

Because I worked my mechanic's position at the same time I did lawn care, I was able to pay cash for my equipment. Consequently all of my equipment is paid for. Because of my overhead situation, I don't have to worry about how much a machine is costing me per hour of use. I wish I had some figures to give you, on this, but I don't.

As far as saving money. I can make use of my time better witth my NPR, than the truck I used to have. I get much better milage than I got with the pickup I used to pull a trailer with. With the pickup I have now (a 99 F250 with a powerstroke), I might be able to get the same kind of milage.

The NPR saves me so much time. The time saved is where the money comes into play. When I used a truck, and trailer. I'd have to hook my truck to the trailer every morning. I'd then have to load everything onto the trailer. At the end of the day, I'd have to reverse the whole process. I really didn't enjoy that, at all. Now I just park my NPR at a nearby storage facility, and only have to pay $22 per month for the parking spot. The truck is in a secured area, but still outside. If I wanted to store my equipment there without this kind of truck, I'd have to lease an indoor storage unit, and that would be considerably more. When it rains outside. I just go into the back of the truck, and scrape decks, and respool trimmer heads. I can fuel up equipment, or change oil, or grease fittings. These are all things that I do when it's raining, so that can spend Saturdays watching football, or doing something else. I just love the way my operation is now that I work out of this truck. I'd never go back to a pickup, and trailer again.

A box truck isn't for everyone. To get a good one. It can be somewhat expensive. I wouldn't get an NPR any older than a 99 model for the mechanical reasons I've mentioned in prior posts. To buy an NPR that new will run you at least $14k. I hope I've been at least somewhat of a help. You sure have helped me with a lot of your posts.

P.S. I PMed you with details about the springs.

Victor

gogetter
10-25-2003, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the input Victor. Definately some stuff to think about.

Just a thought for others that might be considering a box truck set up. When I delivered furniture, the boxes had a translucent roof. So you would get plenty of light throughout the whole back of the truck. Really makes a BIG difference!
Might be an option to consider if anyone's looking into getting a box truck.

landscapingpoolguy
11-22-2003, 06:31 PM
What do ya do with yur clippings? i c no bagger on yur exmark? dont your customers ask you to take clippings? when i started my business 3 years ago i mulched everything right into november. It was great all money coming in to me and none to the dump. Then people started to complain cause I was mulching and not taking clippings. All the other landscapers take clippings is what i heard from customers, and tehn i start loosing them. then i noticed infact it does prevent the buildup of thach. So my question to you is how do you get away with it? I dont even want to know what it costs me now to dump clippings every week. All I use are exmark lazer hp ztrs too so i know its not my equipment.

eric22
11-22-2003, 09:40 PM
nice setup alot of room to expand

gogetter
11-22-2003, 10:31 PM
landscapingpoolguy, if someone calls me and says they want a price for lawn mowing, but they want it bagged, I simply tell them I don't bag.

I explain that it takes too much time and effort and they wouldn't want to pay me what I would charge them for it.

I also explain that there is no real reason to do it, so why go through all the extra effort?

If they don't back down from it, then I tell them I can't help them.

In my area, judging by what I see on all the other trailers, not too many bag grass.

CamLand
11-24-2003, 09:17 AM
ok i have one question,what do you do if your machine dies and you need to get it into truck.do you have a winching system,gate seems it's on pretty good angle...

Victor
11-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Hello guys. I don't bag clippings. I always side discharge onto the lawns. If I have a breakdown. I have a winch that I could use to pull the mower onto the truck. If I need to do landscape type work, I use my other truck, and trailer for that. Thanks again for the good words guys. If I can help you in any way, just let me know.

Vic

Duncan Lawn Care
02-06-2004, 06:30 PM
This is what I use. Will never go back to truck and trailer for lawn maintenance.

jajwrigh
02-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Wow! That is the best idea I have ever seen! I really like your thinking behind it.

bryand28
04-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Victor, nice rig,,, where did u get the gate and does it work better than a beaver tail?

therainman
04-04-2004, 07:02 PM
duncan did u buy that ion ebay??? Thought that pic looks familiar too me. If so what did u give for it?

Shawn

Victor
04-04-2004, 08:13 PM
I got the gate from NC Ramp Systems and I like it much more than a beavertail, because I think you loose too much space with a beaver tail. If you ad a beaver tail to the back of the box, it's just that much more mass hanging out there that swings when you turn. I can use every inch of floor space to park equipment on, with a beaver tail I couldn't.

Vic

bryand28
04-11-2004, 03:39 PM
Vic ,,, how much do the ramps cost? i cant find a price on them on the website

GTLC
04-11-2004, 10:09 PM
He has a nice van body but all he needs now is a real truck, and I am afraid Japanese trucks don't count.

Victor
04-20-2004, 10:54 PM
Boy he's funny. Ummm...."I can't drive yet, but I'm an expert on trucks." I love it.

Vic

DUSTYCEDAR
04-21-2004, 07:27 PM
i need that ride it is great

ant
09-19-2006, 10:19 PM
nice rig........

Stafford Landscaping
09-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Thats a great set up I was just wondering if you could put a curb side door and steps on it? if that would be feasible?

ashs inc
09-23-2006, 06:56 PM
VIC you still around?? what a great truck!!!

Lawnworks
09-24-2006, 06:43 PM
He has a nice van body but all he needs now is a real truck, and I am afraid Japanese trucks don't count.

lol... coming from a person that doesn't even own a TRUCK!!! Maybe when you are up to 150 lawns a week, you will see the light!

The C Man
09-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Nice going - you responded to a 2 year old post made by a teenager who hasn't even logged into this site in 4 months.

ant
09-24-2006, 07:26 PM
any of you guys have a gate like that? i was thinking about getting a box truck with a ramp like that..
ant

Lawnworks
09-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Nice going - you responded to a 2 year old post made by a teenager who hasn't even logged into this site in 4 months.

I apologize for my post C Man. :rolleyes: Please forgive me.

Lawnworks
09-24-2006, 07:45 PM
any of you guys have a gate like that? i was thinking about getting a box truck with a ramp like that..
ant

I have two w/ the dovetail extension. I would do it again... although my guys have hit a couple of things swinging the truck around. I could see an advantage to Vics rig in that area, but I don't know how closing his everyday would be.

ant
09-24-2006, 08:01 PM
although my guys have hit a couple of things swinging the truck around. .

what do you mean?
turning? backing?

yrdandgardenhandyman
09-24-2006, 08:47 PM
It's a 99 Isuzu NPR HD with a 14,500GVW, and a 175hp Diesel engine, backed by an automatic Aison tranny.

Vic

Pretty heavy duty for hauling around a ztr. But it looks like there's room to do most maintenance right in the truck.

Aw hell!! This is an ancient post.:dizzy:

Lawnworks
09-24-2006, 09:58 PM
what do you mean?
turning? backing?

Yeah turning... you can't see the dovetail from the truck and it will swing around and hit something. My guys knocked the post at the gas station pretty good a couple of months ago.