PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance

scooby
09-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Where do ya'll find your health insurance? What do you pay? I know it differs depending on how healthy the provider is and if they smoke etc. Throw me some ideas and numbers please. Scooby:D

JimLewis
09-21-2003, 04:41 PM
All I know is that NASE (Nat'l Assoc. for the Self Employed - which is mostly just a front for an insurance company) seems very spendy and covers very little. Avoid them.

mower_babe
09-21-2003, 04:45 PM
are you sitting down?

Blue cross. blue shield
currently $800/ mo - good prescription plan, well visits...

we are going to ...
$130/mo...nothing covered but surgeries...no rX, no well visits, very high deductable.

No smokers, exceptional health, 4 kids, 2 adults (28 and 43). And I am gonna tell you - it increases every 4-6 months. The monthly amount was killin us. We had to do some number crunching.

Team Gopher
09-21-2003, 07:05 PM
In the Latest Landscape & Irrigation magazine, Editor Jerry Roche wrote a viewpoint article on Health Insurance. Within the article he quoted Ed Wandtke, a green industry consultant as saying "In almost every instance, you automatically get an increase if you stay with the same carrier; if you switch, the rate will go down."

This is something to consider.

scooby
09-21-2003, 11:05 PM
Thanks a bunch. This is like having a big brother that knows all the answers.

Bigfoot
09-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Health insurance is a big problem for a lot of self employed people. Be careful in switching health insurance companies or sometimes even policies because there is usually a 1 year waiting period for pre-existing health conditions to be covered.

mower_babe
09-22-2003, 04:48 PM
we will continue to stay with BC/BS, bc they have always been a good provider and it is not worth it to us to switch all of the time - all of the physicals and medical questionnaires. JMO

scooby
09-22-2003, 11:37 PM
I guess I'm looking at about $800.00/mo then. 2 adults 3 children.

mower_babe
09-23-2003, 06:11 PM
Scooby, I would not base what you will pay on what we pay - talk to several companies. I am sure that age, med history and other things are factored in - yours could be higher or lower. A point here- no pregnancies are covered under ours -- it is an additional $300+ a month for maternity coverage and I believe you have to wait 360 days before one is covered. Just something to keep in mind - also no dental and no vision. Look long and hard, bud.

Fantasy Lawns
09-23-2003, 07:29 PM
http://www.humana.com/HumanaOne/humanaone.asp

gusbuster
09-23-2003, 09:34 PM
I get insurance thru my wifes work which is thru Cigna P.P.O.

For myself, my wife, and daughter it cost my wife $640 a month, but a lot of things that are not covered such as I.V.F. are covered 100%. Anybody that has gone thru I.V.F knows that this can cost over $23,000 each cycle.
John

grassyfras
09-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Hey all whats up? Im going to probbly buy a turftracer hp this month if everything goes right. I think the turftracer hp wil be fine but Im wondering if the tires are that much better on the turftracer I dont know what to do. Also since I'm getting a 52" soon I need a new trailer and would like to be able to carry my 36" some of the time. What size would be sufficient enough for this I'm thinking a 6x10. It would really beat my 5x8.

Gene $immons
10-07-2003, 07:20 PM
Health insurance for the self -employed is simply un-affordable for most small business owners. Thank God my wife has a job which covers me.

KenH
10-07-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by mower_babe
are you sitting down?

No smokers, exceptional health, 4 kids, 2 adults (28 and 43). And I am gonna tell you - it increases every 4-6 months. The monthly amount was killin us. We had to do some number crunching.

Whose name is the policy under, the 28 year old or the 43 year old???

mower_babe
10-07-2003, 09:38 PM
43 yr old, but I would find it hard to believe that would matter. Otherwise, EVERYONE would pick the healthier younger spouse to use as the primary holder. But, I could be wrong.

CHAN
10-07-2003, 10:44 PM
My family plan with BC/BS is only running 610.00 every two months so that is about 305 per month. The 800 sounds really high unless you are in the upper age bracket mine is on 48 yo.

mower_babe
10-07-2003, 11:01 PM
I am sure it all depends on the deductable, rX plans, level of coverage...etc. In 12 days, we will be down to bare bones emergency coverage. Definite difference in the price.

strickdad
10-08-2003, 12:59 PM
to add to this, it sure would be nice if some of these groups such as; alca, plca, pgms, etc. would offer some type of "group" programs ...

mmacsek
10-08-2003, 08:23 PM
We have our health insurance through Golden Rule Insurance. We have a $2500.00 deductible. Two adults and 2 children non smoking, no dental or RX. We do get a deep discount on tests and RX. The rate is 305.00 per month and good service. Most doctors in our area honor it. Matt

wojo23323
12-02-2003, 01:30 PM
I am retired military. 39 years old. The insurance I have from the Navy is Tricare. $150 deductable per year per person. They pay 75% of allowable charges. Prescriptions are $9, $3 for generic. or free if you go to a military pharmacy (PITA, we pay). You have to make sure you go to a Tricare participating provider or else you will be responsible for unallowed charges. I think it is a great deal because I don't have to spend anything for it. For Dental we pay $80 per month. Not to bad either.

John from OH
12-02-2003, 10:03 PM
We're with Anthem. Coverage is decent, service is great. 2 adults, 3 kids, $250 deductable, $15 copay for doctor visits, and prescription plan is right around $600 per month. Single employees in their 20's is less than $100 per month. We have to pick up 40% on the employees which isn't bad at all. Do put the insurance in the younger spouse's name, its much cheaper. Our rates really increased when I hit 40. Since my wife is an employee and under 40, the rate was about $150 per month less in her name.

gene gls
12-02-2003, 10:16 PM
I was quoted $3000.00 per year per employe for basic health ins back in the spring. Don't remenber the details, it was above my reach this year.

Gene

KenH
12-03-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by mower_babe
43 yr old, but I would find it hard to believe that would matter. Otherwise, EVERYONE would pick the healthier younger spouse to use as the primary holder. But, I could be wrong.

Under my plan (PHS) it does matter. My premiums are based on my age, not my wifes. If the 28 and 43 year olds were both employees, you would be foolish not to have the planholder being the younger.

mower_babe
12-03-2003, 11:49 PM
I guess I don't really see where it matters because they ask for the age of each person covered. I must be missing something.

And this is privately insured - not as employees, so I cannot speak on that as employees.

All I can comment on is ours and it is BC/BS private insurance.

sodzilla
12-06-2003, 02:56 PM
I currently have health ins. through my full-time job. Our rates just went up 40%. I could find alot better rate but can't switch untill Feb. because my wife is pregnant. After she has the baby we can switch to a new policy. However I'm quiting my full-time job in the spring to go full-time lawncare. I joined our local Chamber of Commerce to get their health ins. They pool all the small business' together to get a group rate. Their only requirment is that you have to had been in business for one year to be elligable. So I have to wait till June to go through them. Might be something for you to look into.