PDA

View Full Version : Professional Help needed ASAP!!!

gscone
09-22-2003, 12:15 PM
Attached are pictures of my lawn. I'm guessing this problem is grubs but not sure. I've put out Grubex over this past weekend (9/21/03) and wondering what I can do not to have a decent looking lawn in Spring? Should I de-thatch and pull out the dead grass, then re-seed and winterize the lawn? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

GC

proenterprises
09-22-2003, 12:56 PM
gscone

do an online search for the SCOTTS program, they offer a 4 step ( i think) program for your lawn throughout the whole year.

i use it on my personal lawn and it works excellent

good luck

tiedeman
09-22-2003, 01:05 PM
I know that it's too late in the season, but it looks like field mice damage. That happens up here a lot when the snow covers the ground and the mice make tunnels under the snow and damage the lawn.

gscone
09-22-2003, 01:43 PM
As mentioned in my post, I just put out the Grubex but was wondering whether it will have any effect on my lawn now, Mid September. Is it recommended I lay out something with Dylox. I was looking at the 24 grub control from Bayer...Any suggestions? Should I re-seed now or wait till the Spring time? Thanks for the help!

RichmondR
09-24-2003, 01:54 PM
gscone -- easiest way to tell if you have grubs is to dig up a pieces of turf around the edge of the dead areas to see if there are any grubs -- they are white and about 1/2 to 1 inch in size, usually half-curled up. If you see a bunch of them, that's probably your problem. Grubex will help to kill the grubs once you water it in, but it wont help to bring the lawn back.
If its not grubs, and assuming nothing was spilled on your lawn that killed your grass, its probably a fungus on some sort -- fungicides are available, but ultimately you are going to have to dig out the old dead grass and replace it. Fungus is usually a symptom of some other underlying problem, like too much thatch or over watering. Ortho's lawn care book is a good reference.
I have a similar problem with fungus -- I tore out the dead areas with a very small honda tiller and a steel rake and then put down fresh topsoil with some Scotts Patch Master. Before I added the Patch Master, I also spread a bit of grass seed on the soil and raked it in. If you still have a month of decent weather (temps at least in the 70s and 60s), this is the best time to repair the lawn. Remember to keep it wet for at least a couple weeks to allow the new seed to germinate.

Hope this helps.