PDA

View Full Version : legal issues for tx??

jwc1031
09-27-2003, 01:02 PM
If I am wanting to just get into business and start up in TX what all do I need to do??

Do I charge sells tax for mowing?

What type of income tax do I pay ? (self employment?)

and how often??

What all can I write off and do I keep milege on my truck or keep up w/ fuel cost on the truck and machines?

And if there is anything else I would need to know please fill me in!!

Woody82986
09-28-2003, 03:49 PM
Go to the county clerk and get a DBA under a business name. This you can take to the bank to either set up a business account or to at least cash checks or deposits checks made out to your business name into your personal account. Otherwise, your DBA is basically just to prove that you do have a business set up. Go and talk to your insurance provider about getting some sort of business insurance that covers you for all of the work you will be doing.
Only commercial customers have to be charged sales tax. If you decide to get into commercial accounts, go to your area comptrollers office or contact them to get a tax ID number, so you can start charging and turning in the tax money you receive. If you don't want to fool with taxes, just don't do commercial accounts. You should really talk to an accountant for this, but you need to be reporting all of your income to the IRS. I pay my business taxes quarterly. Have your accountant print out the vouchers to send in with your checks to the IRS. Your accountant can also go over with you what you can and cannot write off on your taxes. But generally anything you use for your business can be a writeoff, as long as you can prove you actually spent the money for it. Your accountant can tell you about how to deduct for your vehicle. You can so everything individually or lump it all together, I lump mine and deduct .36/mile.

Green in Idaho
09-29-2003, 01:48 AM
JWC the full answers to your questions result in books....

See www.irs.gov and see their link for small businesses. Seek Publication 334. It has much tax info for the federal level.

Your state issues of sales tax etc are different from state to state so seek the Texas Dept of Rev. and county as Woody rec.ed.

Internet browser search function will give you days of reading....

GarPA
09-29-2003, 06:32 AM
You may want to get a book or 2 on starting a landscape business. These wont tell you everything you need to know...but...they will talk about things you may have not even thought of. And yes theres some basic info about taxes which will give you at least a framework from which you can do more reserach for your particular state and local issues.

You can buy these( I think...been a while since I read these) at Amazon.com They were worth every penny I paid for them.

LAWNCARE AND GARDENING..A DOWNTOEARTH GUIDE TO THE BUSINESS...Mickey Willis

HOW TO START A HOME-BASED LANDdSCAPING BUSINESS..Owen Dell.

Some of the stuff in these is rather basic commen sense. But there was alot of other stuff I had not thought of...and the Willis book is particulary good at giving you details on different kinds of grasses, procedures for lawn renovation..along with business stuff. They both are easy to read and full of good advice. You'll be glad you read them...good luck