PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on 2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty

qualitylandscaping
09-28-2003, 10:58 AM
I'm thinking about buying a new Ford F-250 super duty sometime between now and the spring. I recently sold my Toyota and Ford P/U to save for college and upgrades.. I would like opinions from those of you who own one..

Exact model I'm looking at is 2003 F-250 Superduty XLT Reg. Cab 4x4..

options:
-keyless entry & security system
-6.8L EFI V10
-4 speed automatic
-4.30 axle w/ limited slip
- AM/FM stero w/ 6-disc CD changer
-Trailer hitch
-Sliding rear window

Quoted $31,500 by local dealer.. That is without the Ford Rebates and Kodak X-Plan (10% discount)..

phillylawnking1
09-28-2003, 12:04 PM
You can probelly get a leftover powerstroke for a little cheaper.

BSDeality
09-28-2003, 12:21 PM
get the diesel. it may cost more out front and be more expensive to maintain, but it will be cheaper to operate and last longer.

edrenckh
09-28-2003, 12:24 PM
I have one. '03, F350 crew cab, 7.3 PSD. Get the diesel. Get the F350. Not much more in price. Here in MN the plates are much cheaper on a 1-ton. Resale will be better.

Not as many go out with gas engines, ~60% I believe are diesels. Go to the thedieselstop for more info. Stay away from the 6.0, nothing but problems so far.

Don't pay any more than invoice price. Go to edmunds or the ford site to find out the invoice price.

Mine gets 16 MPG empty on the freeway, ~11 pulling the trailer.

The V10 will get 6 MPG.

If you need to save money, skip the CD changer and key-less remote. You can get them after-market much cheaper.

You are in Rochester, NY. You better get a PLOW package!!

NCSULandscaper
09-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Why waste money on all the extra fancy options for a work truck?
Its gonna get scratched, torn up and worked hard so go with a stripped down work truck.

Dont get the V-10, heard a bunch of problems with it. I have the 5.4V-8 in mine and it does just fine. If you have an extra 5k to blow on the diesel and do alot of heavy hauling then go with the diesel however the mileage is about the same for the 6.0 diesel and 5.4 gas. Contrary to what some say the 6.0 diesel is an excellent engine and so is the 7.3 diesel.

I think my 2003 F-250 cost $24,000 after tax, tags, and title.

EagleLandscape
09-28-2003, 04:39 PM
Hey qualitylandscaping, that's kinda the same truck that I'm getting. I look at this way, it is my work truck, and my daily driver. Consider how much you would pay for a truck, and a regular vehicle just to drive around town?

I'm getting the 2003 Ford F-250. Crew Cab, XLT, 6.0L diesel, 5sp auto transmission, short bed.

They list here for 42K, but I got a friend at a ford dealsership to get it down to 31k for me.

Those are incredible trucks, with the new 5sp tranny, they produce up to 560 ft lbs of torque. Although the chevy DuraCrap engines get like 340hp, and the ford only gets 325, but whats 15hp gonna kill ya? Oh and on the highway, the 6L gets 22 miles to the gallon.
Plus with the deisel, you can leave your truck running at job sites. Since I'm only at a yard for about 10 mins or so, I'm just going to leave my truck running. Instead of this year turning off my suburban every yard I came to, then firing it back up.
Hope this helps, let me know if you have anymore questions.
Also the MEtallic paint has a higher resale value.

qualitylandscaping
09-28-2003, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the replies guys..

I want to go with the options because this will also be used as my personal vehicle.. I take girls out all the time and don't want to haul them around in a truck with no cd-player etc.. I'm basically ready to buy my dream truck and I want it to have everything I've always dreamed of, because I won't be spending that much again until I buy a house, lol:D

I can't justify the 6.0 diesel but I will definiently go down to the V-8 if the 10 is really that bad. I want to get the security system because I don't want all of the new stuff to get stolen. Parking it at school everyday isn't very appealing without it..

Just considering the choices right now.. Nothing is final.. Just starting to get into this purchase since I have money from all the stuff I sold.

thfireman
09-28-2003, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NCSULandscaper
[B]Why waste money on all the extra fancy options for a work truck?
Its gonna get scratched, torn up and worked hard so go with a stripped down work truck.

Don't get the V-10, heard a bunch of problems with it. I have the 5.4V-8 in mine and it does just fine.

My thoughts exactly! I bought the gas model F250 and couldn't be happier. Pulls great and gets as good a mileage as a friends diesel model of the same truck. I got the stripped down plain Jane truck....It's a "WORK TRUCK"! Not a family truck. I have another vehicle to look good in when I am not working.

My priority was not looks but being practical and wise. Last time I checked the fancy XLT package didn't make any more money for an LCO than the plain ol work truck. I just saved thousands by getting s stripped model.

sildoc
09-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Just checked my local dealer. f-250 stripped with auto 5.4l v8 19.900. oh ac is 500 more . I like the 500 option so make it 20400.

Personally here there are a flood of f250 f350 diesel 1990's with only 50-100 thousand miles on them. they run between 7000-15000 pending who what when where and why. I would go with a dentless 80000 mile diesel work truck for 10000 and then sink30000 into a nice f150 super crew with all the bells and whistles to cruz around town in. Heck I can't imagine spending 40000 on a work truck just to get a 5000 dollar dent in it the first day.

edrenckh
09-28-2003, 11:02 PM
sink30000 into a nice f150 super crew

Why not just have one truck, and one insurance payment. Buy a Honda Civic to run around in. It's cheap on gas, easy to park, etc.

I have my F350 XLT Crew and a Honda. A good set up.

sildoc
09-29-2003, 12:32 PM
Edrenckh,
you choose a civic, I choose a F150 for a daily driver. I find it hard to pack the kids and wife in a civic and all the garbage you need to go any where in our little car my wife drives. Gas Well yes you save but when we both get the gas bill for the month it is rather insignificant in the differance since I am in my work truck most of the time anyways.
As for insurance. Well It costs me 60 extra a year for the third vehicle.

Woody82986
09-29-2003, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I would go with the 5.4 V-8 if you want a gas. The mileage on that v-10 runs right at 6mpg even less with a gooseneck trailer or a loaded bumper pull. Both the 7.3 and the 6.0 are good diesels but only if you have the extra 5 grand to put into it.

EagleLandscape
09-29-2003, 01:31 PM
Hey, the diesel gets twice the gas mileage that the 5.4 will get. For me, I drive an average of 100-150 miles a day. So do the math on how much gas I use right now. Can't wait to get a diesel. Plus Diesel gasoline is cheaper than regular unleaded, about 6-10 cents here in Texas last time I checked. But consider how long you will be using this truck? More than 100,00 miles? Then get a diesel, you will be glad. Yesterday my Suburban killed off it's 2nd water pump, now on the 3rd. At only 120k miles. It's a 1998 by the way. I bought it used and put about 30k miles or so a year on it. If you're going to be keeping this new truck for a while, make a sound investment in a diesel, you won't regret it. Plus the new 5speed transmissions that come with the 6l diesel produce 560 ft lbs of torque. And that's just with a stock transfer case. NO telling what you could do if you swapped in an older one or whatnot.

Think through what you need, and then what you would like to have? I'm on the same boat as you, get a work truck, but also get something I can drive friends around in. I don't wanna be going out to a nice dinner with my gf in a Ford XL beater truck. Although I wouldn't have a problem working in one at all.

But a beater truck, + a nice "out on the town" truck would cost me more than a 2003 f250, so why not just combine everything? One car payment, one insurance payment, yada yada, less parts to replace.

ANyways, just some things to think about. I've been researching the 250's for about 2 months now, and this month I think I'm finally going to get one. Anyways, have fun with whatever ya do!

EagleLandscape
09-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Oh and don't get the 7.3 diesel, it's crap.:)

lawn perfection
09-29-2003, 02:17 PM
I have a 5.4 and the v10 both they get about 12mpg. As far as the diesel goes if you have the money get it,and for the guy getting 22mpg i guess you are a lucky one.

EagleLandscape
09-29-2003, 05:27 PM
lawn perfection: With a diesel, it's very easy to get 22. That's another main advantage of that type of fuel. It's "almost" double of what a gasoline engine would be getting, but not quite.

Evan528
09-29-2003, 07:39 PM
speaking from experience do not buy a $40,000 work truck. In March I bought an 03 Dodge ram 3500 slt crew cab diesel 4x4 wich I planned to use for work and play. Well after a 6 month battle of trying to keep my 40 grand baby clean grass free I finally just bought a work truck a few weeks ago. Sure has been nice also not having to worry about a little scratch here or there or mud in the truck. Now the New Dodge is soly my personal vehicle and gets to stay nice and shiny;)
If I had it too do over again though I would have just originally bought a used work truck and bought a new sport utility
(pathfinder, explorer etc) for personal use and estimates. It would have cost be about $10,000 less and I would have been able to fit my vehicle in a parking spot!:D

MacLawnCo
09-29-2003, 07:55 PM
it seems that you can always spot a owner/operator from their vehicle alone. owner/opperators will sink way too much into a top of the line truck, while the larger companys will get the basic. Wonder why?

Heron Cove PM
09-29-2003, 08:09 PM
Before I respond any further, please take a moment to answer this question:
What EXACTLY are you going to use the truck for? Please list ALL activities i.e., pulling mowers, plowing snow, personal use? Do you ever see yourself pulling a skid loader? What? Please, anticipate all uses and don't hold back.

Thanks,

Marshall

EagleLandscape
09-29-2003, 11:48 PM
Yeah, it's all about what you need to use it for. For me, I don't have another car/truck to use. And I tow stuff, and transport lots of things all the time other than mowing equipment. So I need something powerful, and comfortable to drive in long distances.

65hoss
09-30-2003, 12:31 AM
Do NOT get the new 6.0 Powerstroke. They are having problems out of them. I just bought a new F250 last week. I wanted the diesel and almost bought it until the owner of the dealership told me not to get them. Ford is buying many back from the dealers and some from consumers.

The 5.4 V8 has proven to be a powerful motor for my needs.

EagleLandscape
09-30-2003, 11:43 AM
No, the only problem they had with the new 6l, was anything in production before April, would shut of for random reasons. They recalled all of those, and fixed them, and all post-april-productions dont have the problem. It's a great engine.

Evan528
09-30-2003, 06:58 PM
Traded my 2000 f-250 5.4 last march. Couldnt get it above 30MPH uphill with a loaded trailer........

cuttingchris
10-01-2003, 10:57 PM
i bought a 2003 f-250 super dulty Fx4 off road with the 5.4 and the 4.30 rear end and its been great for me i got the plow and towing pakages on it. it came stock with ranchero shocks and it rides like a bueaty i love it i got the xl pakage the bread and potatos package and am very proud to drive around in it i averaged 8 mpg while plowing in 4 wheel low with a boss v plow on the front and about 1700 pounds of salt and equip in back and when i tow i cant even tell my 16 foot trailer with 2 riders and 2 walk behinds great truck and im probly gona buy a couple more for this winter

HarryD
10-02-2003, 12:06 AM
your nuts the 7.3 is a kick azz motor I have had 2 of them and both were problem free. surf ebay motors there are a ton of trucks on there a year old for a great price. some are high mileage but i think the diesels don't break in till about 80k

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=texasstarwholesale&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

HarryD
10-02-2003, 12:10 AM
here is a pic of my bus ;) 2002 F350 4X4 XLT 7.3 PSD

hoagie
10-02-2003, 07:56 PM
I also have a 7.3 pwrstroke... and a 5.4 gas. Believe it or not they both get about the same gas milage! BUT, listen why...

All depends on what you're doing w/ the truck... and also what rear end you have. On the 7.3 I have a 4.88 and tow the crap out of it daily(5k trailer, w/ 2-5k in the dump). On the 5.4, a 4.10 and I drive to the store, to the movies, to jobsites, plowing ect.

If you NEED a diesel then buy one... if you dont, then why waste money?

Lawncareguy
10-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Buy a used truck for the work truck. You can get an excellent work truck for about 10-15k with a diesel-5spd. If you are not towing 12k plus every day then don't worry about 4:10 gears and go with the standard ratio (3:27-3:73 or so). The diesels are great and I have one for the towing(trailer,camper, boats) but they do cost more. I bought new for the warranty on the rest of the truck and am now just starting to use it as a work/personal truck @80k miles on it. I would look at and drive the Ford/Dodge diesels and see what your preference is on either used models because YOU are the one that is making the payment and not somebody that recommeded it to you. The Chevy Duramax is hard to find used because it is fairly new and Ford is having problems with the new 6.0L . Cummins and Powerstrokes are both proven with many years of service and proven numbers.

And on the extended idling that was mentioned: Excessive idling(more than about 10min) causes what they call "Cylinder Washing" and is not good for the rings/block on the engine. I cannot speak for the Powerstroke(maybe someone else can on this site) but on the Cummins I have installed a homemade Idle-up mechanism that I turn on and bump the idle up to 1200rmps for extended periods to prevent Cylinder washing. At idle the fuel is not completely burned and the detergents are seperated and forced into the cylinders with the rings and causes premature wear and no lubrication on rings. If you idle up(1100 or higher ) then enough fuel is burned to prevent this. Even BIG Rigs have an idle-up feature for extended idling(Cold weather, sleeping, etc)

Weigh all your options and buy what YOU want. Gasoline engines are fine too but I will Never own another Gas truck just for my own preference.

EagleLandscape
10-03-2003, 03:28 PM
AHHHH YESS!!! I bought my 2003 F-250, crew cab, 6.0 diesel, 5 sp auto tranny, black, xlt, (with telescoping mirrors):), short bed, 4x4. 3.73 limited slip axle, on the fly 4wd with manual locking hubs. I filled out all the paper work yesterday, but I ordered telescoping mirrors vcause it didnt come with them in the first place. so theyre putting em on now, and i leve in 15 minutes to have my dad drive me out there (45 miles) so I can drive it back. I'm stoked. I've worked my butt of this summer and saved every penny, and it's starting to pay off.

Also, I put out 250 fliers the other night, and that was 3 days ago. So far I've done over $350 of work from those. And I'm just a solo operation so far. I love it baby, I love it!!

EagleLandscape
10-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Oh yeah, I got my truck, finally! I love it, it's got so much power.

sildoc
10-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Im just curious Jwingfield2k.
DO YOU LOVE YOUR TRUCK?

Doc Pete
10-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by NCSULandscaper
Why waste money on all the extra fancy options for a work truck?

Dont get the V-10, heard a bunch of problems with it. I have the 5.4V-8 in mine and it does just fine. If you have an extra 5k to blow on the diesel and do alot of heavy hauling then go with the diesel however the mileage is about the same for the 6.0 diesel and 5.4 gas. Contrary to what some say the 6.0 diesel is an excellent engine and so is the 7.3 diesel.

I think my 2003 F-250 cost $24,000 after tax, tags, and title.
Yup, that's just about what mine was out the door, with remote start, bed liner, snow option, 4x4 (naturally) and custom mirrors.
Pete

Jimmy348
10-04-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Lawncareguy
Buy a used truck for the work truck. You can get an excellent work truck for about 10-15k with a diesel-5spd. If you are not towing 12k plus every day then don't worry about 4:10 gears and go with the standard ratio (3:27-3:73 or so). The diesels are great and I have one for the towing(trailer,camper, boats) but they do cost more. I bought new for the warranty on the rest of the truck and am now just starting to use it as a work/personal truck @80k miles on it. I would look at and drive the Ford/Dodge diesels and see what your preference is on either used models because YOU are the one that is making the payment and not somebody that recommeded it to you. The Chevy Duramax is hard to find used because it is fairly new and Ford is having problems with the new 6.0L . Cummins and Powerstrokes are both proven with many years of service and proven numbers.

And on the extended idling that was mentioned: Excessive idling(more than about 10min) causes what they call "Cylinder Washing" and is not good for the rings/block on the engine. I cannot speak for the Powerstroke(maybe someone else can on this site) but on the Cummins I have installed a homemade Idle-up mechanism that I turn on and bump the idle up to 1200rmps for extended periods to prevent Cylinder washing. At idle the fuel is not completely burned and the detergents are seperated and forced into the cylinders with the rings and causes premature wear and no lubrication on rings. If you idle up(1100 or higher ) then enough fuel is burned to prevent this. Even BIG Rigs have an idle-up feature for extended idling(Cold weather, sleeping, etc)

Weigh all your options and buy what YOU want. Gasoline engines are fine too but I will Never own another Gas truck just for my own preference.

Fords have an option from the factory (can be ordered as well) called an AIC. This will allow idle-up electronically and runs about $350.

Roselawn
10-05-2003, 12:06 AM
Don't beleive all the hype.. I have a 6.0 and it isn't all bad . I get 20 mpg and as far as recalls go ..so what it has 6yr. 100k mile warranty!:blob3:

Scag48
10-05-2003, 04:28 AM
We just bought a '99 F-350 7.3 diesel for another work truck. Can't beat it for towing. IMO, do not buy a new truck for work, it's totally stupid if you ask me. $40K for a truck you're going to beat up doesn't sound right. Also, if you're not going to be towing over 10K, there is no need to buy an F-350. We did because we will be towing 20K with a gooseneck 5th wheel trailer, and we needed the extra springs in the rear. The 7.3 diesel is awesome. We get about 18-20 on highway, about 12-14 towing 8K. Not too bad. Great trucks!

HarryD
10-05-2003, 09:28 PM
my work truck is my baby and there is no beating going on with my truck. I try to be vary careful

Green Pastures
10-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by edrenckh
The V10 will get 6 MPG.

Where in the world do you guy's get this kind of rubbish info?

I own a 1999 F-250 with a V-10.

I have over 50K miles on it.

Not one single engine problem, period.

I get 16-18 MPG truck only on highway.

I get 8-10 MPG truck and 8'x22' enclosed trailer in the city. Depending on how the trailer is loaded and how deep my foot gets in the gas pedal.

I could load my trailer with rocks and floor it all day long and get better than 6 MPG. :rolleyes:

I love my V-10 gas powered Ford.

EagleLandscape
10-06-2003, 05:19 PM
Got it:-D

http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/1198475-truck0.jpg

http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/1198480-truck2.jpg

http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/1198483-truck4.jpg

Scotlawncare
10-07-2003, 09:55 AM
Jwing,

Nice truck. I just bought an 03 250 cc lariat 4x4 6.0 short bed last monday and have 500 miles on it so far. I will say don't expect to see 20mpg out of that truck with it being a 4x4. If your like me you can't keep your foot out of it and the mpg will drop. my computer says 13.5 but i will know prob wed after it gets its second tank of fuel.

check out www.dieselstop.com for info on cheep mods like cutting the fent tube some on the fuel tank to make fillups faster for the last few gallons. Mine took 5 mins to put in the last 3 gallons.

I'll get some pics in a few days and post of mine.

good luck with it and if you have any problems with the moter there is a new computer flash update that is out now that fixes the idle surge if you see it and a few other problems.

scot

EagleLandscape
10-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Yeah I just noticed today I had an idle surge when I was sitting in the drive-through at Chick-Fil'A what can I do about it?

Roselawn
10-09-2003, 10:42 PM
That is most likely the "icp" sensor it is a recall item Ford is dealing with, this little sensor has been re-designed more times than Michael Jackson's face!:dizzy:

EagleLandscape
10-29-2003, 08:07 AM
update, got the flash, the surge is gone but i still have white smoke on start up, i think thats cause i dont let my glow plugs heat up though:-D

dlandscaping
11-24-2003, 11:05 PM
Hey
Do a search on my posts. There is now a fix to all above mentioned problems idle surge white smoke at start bad mileage. It came out on October 18th. My truck was made in april and guess what it is still a lemon. I picked it up June 1st and it went back 3 times by June 22nd. It has been back 7 times and they gave up on it. Ford was supposed to be sending me a check about two months ago. Yea I'll believe it when i see it, good luck with your ford because my psd was a pos. Heres a pic, i like the color haha.

MacLawnCo
11-24-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by jwingfield2k
Got it:-D

Congrats :rolleyes: How much did you waste there? Why invest in something that depreciates? Dont make no sense.