PDA

View Full Version : building sideboards on F150?

nattx
09-29-2003, 03:47 PM
Going to be building sideboards on a 99 F150 short bed using notched 2x4's for the uprights and 1x4 or 1x6's for the side slats. What would be a good way to fasten uprights to stake pockets? I will be using lag bolts and L brackets for frameing. Any helpful suggestions?

Ground Master
09-29-2003, 04:34 PM
heres a pic for you, side boards are 1x8's. 2x4's were notched and fit very tight so there was no need to fasten to stake pockets. This method cost me around $40.00

Ground Master
09-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Here's what a made for another truck. Uprights are 1.5" tube. This cost me around $130.00 to make myself.

Ground Master
09-29-2003, 04:43 PM
Both racks are about 16 inches high which works out fairly well for empying grass catchers and tarps over the sides. If you go any higher it becomes a difficult reach-and I am 6'1".

The metal rack has square tubing in the corners. Eventually, I want to build an extension for leaf cleanups that can be installed and removed easily.

GLS
09-29-2003, 09:50 PM
Keep in mind the lumber will shrink, especially green treated stuff. My sides used to be hard to get on, the stakes barely fit in the pockets. Now they are loose.

I don't know what your stakepockets are like, but you might be able to put a pin through it. I put pins on four corners of my ezdumper stakepockets.

Another suggestion...I put a hinge on the front corners connecting the front to the side boards and replaced the original pin in the hinge with a pin that has a ring on top and a snap button on the bottom. It makes it easy to remove, and its very sturdy.

Here's a pic that shows how I did mine. Just some1x8 green treated attatched to some ripped down 2x4s.

http://0ryan0.home.mchsi.com/sides2.jpg

The hinge with removal pin

http://0ryan0.home.mchsi.com/pins.jpg

One more

http://0ryan0.home.mchsi.com/sides1.jpg

Hopefully that gives you some ideas
Ryan

mike9497
09-29-2003, 10:08 PM
0ryan0

thats a great setup.i was thinking about doing the same thing to my truck.where did you get those pins for the hinge??

also is that a 1500 or a 2500? looks awsome nice rig

nattx
09-29-2003, 10:57 PM
Great suggestions, pictures say a thousand words. Had not thought about the height of the walls making it easier to dump over the rails. I will definetly have to use hinges in front. I was thinking of adding some hooks to hang ladders and other stuff from and would like to chain them up to the sideboards as a "theft deterent". I suppose will all the weight, I may not need to fasten the uprights to the stake pockets.

GLS
09-30-2003, 03:55 PM
I think i bought the pins at lowes. Look in one of the hardware drawers. I had the grind the old pin out of the hinge.

The truck is a 2500. Thanks

Ryan

ksland
09-30-2003, 09:14 PM
Thanks for your pic, Just made mine today. $21 to be exact, I went with 2x3's and 1x8 pine painted.

ksland
09-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Side view

nattx
09-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Well so far i've got 2x4 uprights and 1x6's 3 courses high. I notched out 2 boards(just a bit) across bed window to allow better rear viewing and extended the front uprights about 6 inches past sideboards for additional tie downs. The front uprights are rounded over on top in a U shape and I drilled some holes through them for rope, bungies, or whatever. The rear uprights I mitered at a 45 degree angle for appearance. All thats left to do, for now, is paint it. However, the wheels are still turning, probably have to do a little tweaking, add something here or there as it get used a bit. Thank you all for your help, and the pictures are great !! Don't have a camera or I would post pictures.

Green in Idaho
10-03-2003, 07:31 PM
I like the expanded metal for better viewing rear mirror and side view for land changes.

I also like side boards that either drop down (hinged) or come off to allow for easier throwing in of tarps, bags, limbs, etc. Like take off passenger side board while dumping up on drivers side...

Hand holds at the tailgate end too for helping to get fat butts into the back.

lawncare3
10-17-2004, 11:21 PM
Graound Master That expanded metal sides look great. I am having some of those welded in a couple of weeks.

Wonder Women
11-26-2006, 05:27 PM
I am thinking of putting rails like this on my 2001 Tacoma Pickup and also putting my Business name and number on the rails also, instead of a magnetic sign or lettering on the side of the truck i wouldn't have to be conserned with damaging the paint on the Truck this way and i could also reuse the rails if i bought a new truck.
I saw a 2 Trucks in my area like this and it looks pretty good. Any thoughts from others on this idea.

tthomass
11-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Old thread! Put bed rail caps on your truck and the paint will be safe. They're about $80. As for using on a new truck, don't count on it. My Dad had metal sides on his early 90's Chevy........they changed the hole placement on his 2000 and they did not fit.

Green Boys LawnCare
12-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Do you guys know? Can you buy sideboards like these anywhere?

Ramairfreak98ss
12-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks for your pic, Just made mine today. $21 to be exact, I went with 2x3's and 1x8 pine painted.

looks neat, ive been thinking of this temporary for my f350. My 91 f150, 2yrds of wet/dyed mulch would fill the bed and be plenty heavy for it. I couldnt put 3-4 yards in it, would just be too much weight.

My new F350 doesnt even budge when the beds filled with new wet mulch. Im thinking of a solution like this maybe with a removable back gate with pins to hold it on or something so i can get 4 yards in the back.