PDA

View Full Version : Driveway Sealing

DreamBig:LiveBigger
09-29-2003, 10:17 PM
Is anyone in the driveway sealing business as well? If not, does anyone know of any good sites to find equipment needed to do such a job?

G-father
09-29-2003, 11:05 PM
Equiptment?

Blowers to clean the pavement.

Detergent to clean up oil spills etc.

Lots and lots of 5 gallon sealer cans.

A couple of large squeegees.

Workers with good backs.

On a larger scale you need a large tar truck and sprayers.

DreamBig:LiveBigger
09-29-2003, 11:06 PM
Thanks....any idea how much those tanks cost?

geogunn
09-29-2003, 11:08 PM
I did this once.

never again.

period.:eek:

if it is for you...hey super! if you get down my way, let me know. I can get you some BIZ including my own driveway.

that stuff is nasty!

GEO

NNJLandman
09-29-2003, 11:16 PM
There's acctually a tar truck for sale near my town but there are a lot of things to consider you will need to buy as G-father had stated. You would also need hot tar for cracks. If you are going to buy a truck with a tar barrel on it buy new. Used ones S*** for the tar has gotten all clogged up in the hoses and its jus really a piece of junk after its done with unless it has been really maintained. If you stick with small driveways its a good deal but parking lots and bigger are the worest. Like any other occupation or service it has its ups and downs.

G-father
09-29-2003, 11:50 PM
The tar cost anywhere from 6-20 dollars per container (depending on lifespan). Having said that I agree with the guys above. Don't start with a large parking lot, been there done that. It sucks!!

crazygator
09-30-2003, 12:26 AM
I have a good friend that I have worked with that owns a sealing business. If you want to make any money at it get a tanker truck and spray the sealant from the truck. If you want to go broke then buy the 5 gallon pales.

I would strongly suggest looking at other things to add to your business, not sealing!

Team Gopher
09-30-2003, 12:58 AM
Here is an interesting site to read up on.

http://www.asphaltkingdom.com/images/Business%20in%20a%20box.jpg

Asphalt Driveway Repair Business In a Box... (http://www.asphaltkingdom.com/business-in-a-box.html)

pinnacle
09-30-2003, 01:42 AM
Aditional service is somthing that can make ya or break ya

Don't know much about "Driveway sealing"

If you are looking for some good additional service have a search for "Anti cob web Aplications as additional service" there is an Excellant product called Adesectin and all ya need is the Adesectin and a 15litter back pack sprayer.

I have been providing this service for a while now (good money and its easy) and you'll find once the word gets out that the stuff actually works and it lasts for 4 - 6 months (I garentee it) you will be flat out.
I've had 9 clients that got me down to the Marina to treat their boats and this is a real nice change to cutting lawn.
I have many clients that have Bi annual applications inside/ outside

Give it a go..............Not much outlay so ya got nothing to lose if it aint for you or ya customers.

Hamed Jamshidi
09-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Is anyone in the driveway sealing business as well? If not, does anyone know of any good sites to find equipment needed to do such a job?

I also would like to start this business, however I do not know how to find a driveway tar sealercoat truck all equiped to go before end of the season. If you know where I should buy such truck let me know too, please. I live and work in Ontario, Mississauga.:canadaflag:

dura to the max
09-21-2008, 11:48 PM
my dad is in this business, so when i was younger i did a lot w/ him. 1st off, dont use a squeegee and bucket, 9/10 the work looks like crap, the sealer needs to be sprayed. we always blow the lot off first, use a compound that covers the oil and allows the sealer to adhere. a hot tar machine for cracks is only needed for cracks over about 3/8". then we spray. it is hard work, i dont care for it too much, but there is less competition than lawn care and a good bit of money in it if you have the right equipment, do good work...etc.

the sprayer is needed to apply a better sealer to the lot. the tank agitator is used to mix the sealer and its components, as well as another chemical (name slips my mind) and sand to make a stronger, longer lasting coating.

if you do get into this, where a body suit, respirator, nomex FF hood, and rubber boots. the stuff is horrible to breath, and it burns like a bad sunburn when the fumes contact your skin.

check out this portion of LS http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=116 should have all your answers, or feel free to pm me if needed...i have some general knowledge about this.