PDA

View Full Version : Reseeding fescue question

Jimmy Bell
09-30-2003, 08:27 PM
I reseeded last year with Kentucky 31. Due to heavy rains I seeded about 3 times, fertilized and hit it with Halts in Feb, summer fetilizer in June, Now, I have 70% crabgrass - I know, shoulda kept the Pre-M going and the crabgrass wouldn't be a problem now. Last Saturday I hit it real hard with Confederate tall fescue. I had cut the grass down to 2.5" (I use a Toro Z-Master Z255) and a friend aerated right before I seeded. We were supposed to get rain that night, we got a few drops. Now there's no rain in the 7 day forecast and I can't water the 3 acres I seeded! So, should I cut the grass anytime soon? What height? Lastly - did I screw up? Please help, oh yeah, located near Raleigh NC if that helps ya'll. Thanks

Jimmy Bell
10-09-2003, 09:00 PM
69 looks and no replies - Thanks boys. It's been almost 2 weeks since I did my overseeding, the grass is starting to come up. We finally got a little rain . Now, since the young grass is about 1" high and the crabgrass is going brown - I have long shooters of fescue - 8" high! Is it OK to cut now? Should I bag it or just cut high and side discharge. BTW, I've still got 3 50lb bags of seed and I'm thinking about hitting the bare spots with a rake and seed again. Guess I bought a liitle too much this year.

longslawn
10-09-2003, 11:05 PM
I would mow the grass if needed. Don't bag. Mow it high about 3". you may lose a little seed. I would wait a couple of weeks to see. You also may want to mow at a lower RPM. Seed should be low on ground.

dvmcmrhp52
10-10-2003, 12:49 AM
You sure it was crabgrass you were looking at or the kentucky 31?

Jimmy Bell
10-12-2003, 08:29 PM
Crabgrass is looking bad, 2 weeks to the day and the new grass (Confederate blend fescue) is coming in nicely. I hit the bare spots again and plan on giving it a good dose of starter fertilizer next week. I plan on mowing next weekend - 4". This time I'm going to keep up my fertilizer and chemical apps. I didn't realize you could hit the crabgrass preventer more than once a year. Anybody want to share their program - I am all ears!