PDA

View Full Version : whats the best powerseeder???

baddboygeorge
10-01-2003, 05:59 PM
i have an older salsco seeder now i do like it an it works well just getting a little age on it an next year i am buying a new one . whats the best seeder for qualityjob, easy to manuver, an price . please let me know what you guys think thanks george

mower_babe
10-01-2003, 06:42 PM
I will probably get beat up badly for this one, but we rent bluebird and have always been happy. You heard me..r-e-n-t. But they seem to be a good machine, I figure if it can handle being a rental (high abuse) then it must be tough. jmo

baddboygeorge
10-01-2003, 06:53 PM
mower_babe
sorry to tell ya but bluebird seeders are junk . they throw the seed in front an then it slices it in . not a true seeder in my book . you would be better off dethacthing an then seeding over with a regular push type seeder get about the same results . i want a seeding that slices an dethatches then cuts in an drops seed from the rear . this salsco i have is an awesome seeder i mite just have to buy a new salsco for 5900 thanks for the input

Runner
10-01-2003, 07:38 PM
I like the one that Lesco uses, although, it works on the same principle that George describes. Seems to give US great results, though.

walker-talker
10-01-2003, 09:18 PM
Here's my baby...Jacobsen Aero King 1321. On the front has verticutting knives, behind them are discs that ride in the slits, then down comes the seed from a hopper up above and drops the seed directly into the slit.....seed to soil contact is what it's all about. It's good for larger areas 5K sq ft and above with not a lot of obstacles. You might check into the Ryan Mataway, another textron product and has a good reputation.

walker-talker
10-01-2003, 09:20 PM
And the rear

mowdini
10-01-2003, 10:37 PM
The Ryan Mataway Overseeder is the best in my humble opinion. The discs slice the soil and the seeder tube is towards the rear of each disc and the seed drops into the slice. Big, heavy machine but you get 80% germination plus. Great unit.

mower_babe
10-01-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by baddboygeorge
they throw the seed in front an then it slices it in . not a true seeder in my book . you would be better off dethacthing an then seeding over with a regular push type seeder get about the same results .

hey-thanks for telling me baddboy-maybe the reason why we have success is because anytime we use them, we aerate first. Simply because that is how it works out...never used the seeder on its own...hmmmm...now you got me wondering!

baddboygeorge
10-01-2003, 11:14 PM
thanks for all the feedback my salsco is much more of a seeder than that jacobsen that is for sure . i am looking for something tough as well i do alot of powerseeding so i need something really durable . i havent seen a seeder yet built like this salsco model . if i cant find another one that i guess a new salco is what i am gonna get

The Lawn Crew
10-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Hi! Was reading an older thread on slitseeders and saw the pic of your jacobsen AeroSedder? It looks like an improved Ryan Mataway, with thwe handles it seems like it would be pretty maneuverable.

What has been your experience with the machine? We do lawns in the 3000-8000 sq ft area. Is thsi machine heavy and bulky? Self-propelled? How is it on slopes and uneven soil?

How much did it cost and how has the mainetenance and reliability been?

Thanks so much!

Lawn Crew

walker-talker
10-21-2005, 03:03 AM
Hi! Was reading an older thread on slitseeders and saw the pic of your jacobsen AeroSedder? It looks like an improved Ryan Mataway, with thwe handles it seems like it would be pretty maneuverable.

What has been your experience with the machine? We do lawns in the 3000-8000 sq ft area. Is thsi machine heavy and bulky? Self-propelled? How is it on slopes and uneven soil?

How much did it cost and how has the mainetenance and reliability been?

Thanks so much!

Lawn CrewGood luck finding one because I am pretty sure Textron discontinued this model, but you still might be able to find one. This machine is ideal for those sized lawns. It is heavy and bulky (well built), but it's self propelled with a 13hp Honda. Does ok on slopes, but if you have uneven soil the cutting blades will not cut into holes and such, but this will be true with about any model. I don't have many hours on it...40 or 50 and no problems, other than dead battery. Cost....are you sitting down...about $5400. I gave about $4700 from an out of town dealer. The Mataway doesn't have as many bells and whistles as this one, but I am guessing they are just as effective. At one time I was going to sell this unit for $4K, but it got me a thinking....what was I going to replace it with??? This unit really shines on lawn renovations.

JB1
10-21-2005, 07:24 AM
gave any thought to getting another salsco.

nocutting
10-22-2005, 12:01 AM
The bluebird is good on little lawns [ under 4000sqft], the ryan is a beast to work all day or on lawns over a half ac [ so is the olathe] and their price tag will cut you to the quick:cry: .....My money is on the Lesco, fairly priced, easy to maintain, local service centers, self propelled [ and my seeds always seem to grow in the slits?]................:)