PDA

View Full Version : Irrigation Education

The Rocket
10-15-2000, 02:16 AM
I have been in the lawn maintenance industry for many years and I am interested in getting into irrigation. How did all of you learn how to properly install irrigation systems? Are there any instructional videos, classes, books, etc. that would show me the entire process? I would appreciate all of the knowledge you can share with me.
Thanks
The Rocket

Dennis
10-16-2000, 09:49 PM
Rocket
I have just started to get into this area, looks as if this is not an easy do it yourself teaching thing,lots of things to consider to be good.
I am breaking in just as repair and maint. of existing
Systems, This in it's self is a good income producer.
But if you are determined to jump in, the library has many good books, and rain bird has a leaflet that will walk you through the set up,also the best place to look is on the web. whatever you decide , goodluck.
Dennis

LoneStarLawn
10-16-2000, 10:04 PM
I also believe there is another license that you need to install irrigation systems..do to backflow

The Rocket
10-17-2000, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. How do I go about getting a license? Is there some type of course? Who would I call to get this information?
Thanks
The Rocket

LoneStarLawn
10-18-2000, 01:06 AM
If so then check here http://www.bizlinks.state.mn.us/license.html

I hope you find it here...

gusbuster
10-20-2000, 10:40 AM
Home Depot, if available has seminars, at least in my area of Califonia on the do's and don't's of irrigation. You might want to check there. I've been doing installs for over 20 years, I was inpressed by the class. I went to the seminar to see anything new in installing.

On the contractor liscense and learning, go work for somebody else a couple projects. See if a local contractor will sponser you. Experience is the best teacher.
John

treeman
10-24-2000, 12:08 AM
here in Tenn. you do not have to have a seperate license to install irrigation but you must get certified to install a backflow preventor on you irrigation systems. we just sub out a certified plumber to install the backflow. not hard to do residential systems once you see how they are put together. we use rainbird equipment have hd very good success. they have an excellent website at http://www.rainbird.com if i can help feel free to contact me at caneyvalleynursery@chartertn.net

jeffyr
11-13-2000, 03:56 PM
I purchased a book on designing irrigation systems and then installed one at my home. In NJ , however, I think you need to take courses, apprentice, and get a license (all of this takes a few years from what I understand)

jeffyr.

KindGardener
11-17-2000, 02:05 AM
Wouldn't you think that a mfr would want us to get trained to use & specify THEIR products?

I find myself in probably a very similar place as The Rocke (orig post) - new, and not knowing a precipitation rate from a transpiration rate from gph to ymmv (you get the idea)

I've installed 3 systems - a complete 4 circuit automatic, a retrofit, and a low-flow/drip system. DAMN they took a LONG time! Something to be said for learning about the "tricks".... like "allow adequate spacing on the manifold" so the valves can screw on... (If you've never screwed up that one, I suppose you will!)

Today I just ordered to manuals from Rainbird - their LO FLOW Irrigation (drip) Manual, and their Complete Irrigation Manual.

They are apparently each about 100 pages, & cost around 11 buck for both, incl shipping. I didn't gripe about the cost, it's probably about what it costs them to print it.

Now, I wanted to get their Instructional Viedo & workbook, but they are in 5 modules at 30 bucks EACH. I'll try my local irrigation distributor & see if they have one to loan out (now THAT is a good Idea, no?)

Good luck.

smithsonmi
12-06-2000, 02:29 PM
Go to http://www.jessstryker.com

KindGardener
12-07-2000, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the link!
Will

Gabe's
12-17-2000, 08:45 PM
What a great site that was Kindgardner