PDA

View Full Version : Green Manure/Cover Crop

sparking
10-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Hi There!

I have an area that I am in the EARLY stages of landscaping (no plan yet). :)Since winter is almost on us and I ran out of time, I need to throw some seed on it for erosion control.
Thought I can also control weeds some, add nutrients and make it alittle more attractive w/ a green manure such as winter wheat, buckwheat or similiar. Any suggestions?

This is at a rental so I would like it to look somewhat attractive. I heard winter wheat can be mowed and look as attractive as grass, but that is the reason I have been using round-up and tilling this area-I have too much to mow.

Thanks,
Sparking

sparking
10-03-2003, 07:35 PM
Sorry, didn't give enough details in my original post. Also, I refreshed my memory and see buckwheat is a summer crop.

The area is 12,000 sq ft on loam/sandy soil w/ a slight slope. Looks like winter wheat or winter rye may be the two most commom choices.

Thanks Again,
Sparking

Dchall_San_Antonio
10-05-2003, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure this is the right forum to get all the attention you might want on this question. What is your ultimate goal for a lawn? What are you going to use it for? How much traffic will it get? What are you prepared to do to care for it?