PDA

View Full Version : new business

jmd76
10-03-2003, 11:21 PM
Would someone give me a little advice. Im looking at starting a new lawn care business next spring. What legality issues do i have to deal with. Me and a partner are going to start this business together. I understand that i have to get a license in the city but as far as making my business a legal business what steps do i have to take. Plain and simple what is the easiest way to get started. How do i register my lawn care name, how do i make everything legit with the IRS. Anyone willing to give me some good info would be much appreciated...jeff

mike9497
10-03-2003, 11:24 PM
in my state the gov has a website for starting your own biz.

WeatherMan
10-03-2003, 11:29 PM
Mine too and Im sure tenn. has one too just do a search

tiedeman
10-04-2003, 12:00 AM
talk to an accountant, a lawyer, and someone else that is involved in a partnership in your area

Let it Grow
10-05-2003, 12:08 AM
This site was one of the most helpful for me when I started

www.sba.gov

Randy J
10-05-2003, 09:45 PM
As mentioned above, if you search, you'll find all kinds of information on this topic. I will say however, be sure you are insured, and pay your license and taxes. Another thing, if you can work around it, avoid a partner. That usually leads to problems.
Good luck with the start up.

Randy

twins_lawn_care
10-07-2003, 09:51 AM
On the Partner Topic,
I have heard nothing but bad things about starting a business with a partner. Usually you both do not have the same ideals deep down, and they eventually come out, whether it be work ethic, or quality, or pure morals on taxes etc., or even the business long term goal. It's hard to know exactly what you both want until you do it for a few years, and see how it goes.

That was the negative side of it, as lots of people will relate to you.

On the other hand, we are thriving because of the partnership TWINS Lawn Care has, because we each bring different qualities to the business, and both of us have great attitudes towards our work. It does get rocky sometimes, over some small items, but the whole is what you need to look at, and it is working great for us.

So remember that there is always 2 sides to the story. I tend to agree it is harder to make a partnership work, but when it does it is very beneficial. I'd say only about 15% or so work out well, but they tend to have an advantage when they do.

Hope this helps, good luck with the business!

Oh, and to answer your question, sorry...
We went to our village hall, and they had a planning department, which will walk you through all the right paths, at no charge. Also, some community colleges also offer this same type of service.

Good luck!

Rustic Goat
10-08-2003, 02:31 AM
Do searches on this site.
just starting
new business
etc

Read Eric Elms thread on advice for newbies.

Read every thread on this site and gain a free education.

capescaper
10-10-2003, 07:52 PM
watch out for partners your freindship could be worth more

fraz001
10-19-2003, 09:23 PM
no partners, b you'r own boss. be on the jobs to see everthing is done to your standards.

#1 return all calls!!!!!!!!

#2 be there when u said u will or call

#3 your work will talk 4 it self

Metro Lawn
11-10-2003, 07:42 PM
Here's how our partnership works. We each own our own equipment and service our own account base. We run under the same name, but as seperate locations. Basically we are on our own, but we are there to back eachother up when needed. It also gives up the look of a much bigger company.

zimm4
11-16-2003, 11:57 AM
Just be careful. I was in a partnership with someone. The partner ship lasted 6 months. Ruined a good friendship.

DECLEGG
11-16-2003, 06:47 PM
HOW DO YOU GO ABOUT GETING A CLIENT BASE WHEN YOU ARE
NEW AND JUST STARTING OUT?

BSDeality
11-16-2003, 07:07 PM
ever heard of Advertising?

(also, please turn off the caps.)

Rustic Goat
11-17-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by DECLEGG
HOW DO YOU GO ABOUT GETING A CLIENT BASE WHEN YOU ARE
NEW AND JUST STARTING OUT?
The answer to your question is;
Use the search function here for;
-new business
-just starting
-advertising
-door hangers
-flyers
-etc.
-In the Just getting Started forum here, read the "Tips" thread by Eric Elm.
-use your imagination

As a matter of e-mail and forum etiquette, don't post in all caps, use proper typing techniques. Caps are meant as emphasis or shouting.;)

Tomari Landscaping
11-25-2003, 11:33 AM
Being from Tennessee I can offer you this advice. You need to register your name and get a business license from your county court clerk which in your case will be Shelby county. You will need to contact the department of revenue in Nashville to obtain a sales tax identification number which can be done online.Next you need to apply to the IRS for a federal tax number.

I hope this helps a bit.
:cool2:

Tom Bradshaw
ouate12@comcast.net