PDA

View Full Version : Slow Computer

bob
10-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Forgive me if this is posted on the wrong thread. I have a cable modem and while I'm on AOL pages the speed is good. However, when I'm on eBay, for example, and type in a "word" to do a search, it takes a few seconds for the letters to appear. Trying to surf eBay ,and some other sites, is extreamly slow. This problem started about a week ago. Any ideas?

NNJLandman
10-05-2003, 05:30 PM
try deleting ur history and cookies which can really pile up and slow down your computer. Go to start, control panel, internet options, then click delete cookies delete files and clear history. See if that helps.

Team Gopher
10-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Did you run a virus scan with updated software?

Tvov
10-08-2003, 11:49 AM
If this just started about a week ago, did you download something without knowing it? Some downloads, like Kazaa, will kill your computer speed. Try to figure out what is running on your computer, and what you don't need.

On my older computer (PII, 400) the "new" "update" for the Mcaffee virus scan awhile ago absolutely slows it down.

ElephantNest
10-08-2003, 12:53 PM
All of the above, then do a Disc Cleanup, then a defrag.

Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools...Do clean-up, then defrag, then reboot. What OS (Operating system) are you running? Sounds like WinME to me. IF so, you need MaxMem also. Let me know, I'll let you know where to get it.

ElephantNest
10-08-2003, 01:03 PM
Also, in Start, go to Windows Update regularly. Follow the prompts to update anyhting it says it needs. ( Critical only usually-They will say "Critical Update) And update your virus scan at least once a week, if not more.

bob
10-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
All of the above, then do a Disc Cleanup, then a defrag.

I did "all the above" and disc clean-up. Disc scan keeps coming back and says that "something else is running and needs to be shut down", but I don't know what it is. Also, when I try to defrag, it doesn't make any progress. I ran it for 2 hours and had 0% done. I'm using windows 98. Thanks!

ElephantNest
10-08-2003, 11:28 PM
Depending on how long since it's been done, it may take a few hours. If done regularly, a few minutes. Try turning OFF your screensaver, so the PC won't go into hibernation after so long of no use. If it is set that way. That should let the defrag finish.

Try www.download.com and get AdAware( under utilities I think), install it and run it. Delete everything it finds. Fairly simple to use. Another one called SpyBot, some people use them both. I run AdAware. Also, go to Add/Remove programs in control panel, and delete old programs and things you don't use anymore, if anything.

Hope this helps, let me know.

~Nest

Tvov
10-09-2003, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by bob
Disc scan keeps coming back and says that "something else is running and needs to be shut down", but I don't know what it is. I'm using windows 98. Thanks!

One of my computers runs Win98...

If you hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, the "Close Program" screen should come up. This will tell you what is running on your computer. The only things that my computer needs are "Explorer" and "Systray", everything else I shut down. Everytime you restart the computer, all the programs will start back up. To stop the extra programs from automatically starting, you have to go into the Start Menu (or Startup Menu).

Honestly, I get lost alot when I start going into the guts of my computer programs. You can try hitting the "Start" button at the lower left, go to "Settings", then "Task bar and Start Menu", and see if you can shut things down from there.

The best thing to do may be to dig up someone who knows Win98 to come and sit in front of your computer to decipher what is running, and how to shut it down (and DELETE it to get it off your computer!).

I also use AdAware, and it seems to work great (and it's free!).

Hope this helps.

DannyHatt
10-09-2003, 12:24 PM
First of all, go to your control panel and go to task bar setting.
Clear out your history, and Clear out your recent documents.
(You may have a file in your recent history that is pointing to a bad file name, or your floppy drive causing the computer to look for something that is not there, slowing it down tremendously)

Second, It may also be advertising on your computer as mentioned before. Download this file http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2144-10214379.html
This is Adware 6.0... It works like a virus scanner for advertising. Make sure the definitions are up to date. Run it twice to make sure everything is clean.

Third, (CAUTION) Go to Start, Run, and type in msconfig. Did i say to be careful, just want to make sure. Go to the start up tab in the window. Uncheck anything that may look like its bad. Your on your own here my friend. Be careful. By eliminating junk you don't need will speed you up. Try the first two above first.

Fourth, Your low on Ram. When you have too many programs loaded in Ram, the Ram gets stuffed. When your Ram is stuffed, windows opens up a file on your computer to use to swap the Ram being used to the file. When this is going on your computer data will only move as fast as your hard drive will go, which is slow. To fix this, you can do one of two things, go purchase some more Ram and upgrade, or clean your Ram out. To see what program in Ram is doing this to you, wait until your computer starts slowing down again. When this happens, hit the ALT CTRL DEL buttons to get a look at your task manager. Click on the Tab button memory usage, you may have to do it twice to sort the list of files by the highest number. If you have stuff in there like realplay.exe, qttask.exe, you can get rid of these by configuring these programs not to load into Ram. You will just have to figure out each one individually.

Fifth, if you have a CD Rom in your computer, take the CD out. If its bad it may be trying to read it... yikes

Sixth, AOL is a real memory hog. I don't personally use it, but have tried it once. When AOL has a major update, it leave behind the old version on your computer, AOL 6.0 , 5.0 etc may still be on your hard drive. I'm not sure if you can uninstall these versions or not, but they certainly arent doing any good. Contact AOL for help getting rid on these.

Seventh, You hard disk is getting full. It happens, if this is the case, think about getting an additional hard disk as a slave to add future programs on.

Eightth, If all else fails, send Sean a note and ask him for my email for tech support. Sean and I never talked about this so I am not sure of the polocies here. But I will send you a program to run on your end, and after a 3 minute installation, i will tell you what to do and will look at your computer from my office. You could then watch me and i will describe in detail what i am doing as you watch, and I will help you out and give you a fix, or a diagnoise in less than 30 mins.

Danny Hatt

DannyHatt
10-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by bob
I did "all the above" and disc clean-up. Disc scan keeps coming back and says that "something else is running and needs to be shut down", but I don't know what it is. Also, when I try to defrag, it doesn't make any progress. I ran it for 2 hours and had 0% done. I'm using windows 98. Thanks!

Sorry for posting twice, didnt see this one from you. Ok, this sounds like you have a file that is loaded in Ram, and doesnt want to go away.

When a file is on your hard drive, and also loaded in Ram, the file becomes locked.

Each file on your computer has assigned flags to it. These flags or Attributes are as follows:

-hidden
-system
-read only
-write

To figure out which file it is, is not easy. Adware may do this for you, or your virus scanner. To explain to you how to fix this would mean i would have to write a book for you.

Like i said, run Adware and Norton, if this doesnt help, send an email to Sean..

Danny Hatt

DannyHatt
10-12-2003, 11:48 AM
Another thing on this thread is fonts.

If you have a ton, everything you load will have to load the fonts first.

Copy your fonts to a new directory, don't move them, copy them, and then remove the ones that you think you dont need. If you find that you deleted the wrong ones, you can always go into the directory you copied and get them back.

mdvaden
10-13-2003, 07:50 PM
Lately, I installed XP, but had Win 98 last summer.

Last spring, I had a nasty time trying to run defrag.

But I found out that if I hooked up to the web using Juno, which uses Int. Exp., then closed it out, I could run defrag all the way as long as I did not shut down the computer.

Without that, defrag only went 1 to 4 percent and continually restarted its process - all night one time.

bob
10-24-2003, 07:11 PM
I wound up taking my computer to an expert to get fixed. They deleted the whole hard drive - everything! Then re-installed Win.98 and a few other things. I'm still in the proccess of putting all the programs back on. Naturally, I backed all the important things up. The computer surfs real fast and its like getting a new machine for a fraction of the cost.

DannyHatt
10-24-2003, 08:46 PM
You should go to win me..

This will give you the system restore feature. If your computer ever goes bad, you can restore it..

Tvov
10-25-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by bob
. The computer surfs real fast and its like getting a new machine for a fraction of the cost.

This is what happened to my PII 400. Once I figured out how to stop all the crap that was running, it is again a fast computer.

ProMo
10-25-2003, 09:57 AM
my pc is doing the same thing also in outlook when i check my mail it wont remember the password

DannyHatt
10-25-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Promo Lawn Services
my pc is doing the same thing also in outlook when i check my mail it wont remember the password
Next time it prompts you for a password, check the box, remember password.