PDA

View Full Version : Best sharpening..How close to the plastic

DoubleCutter
10-06-2003, 07:39 PM
Just wondering,
While sharpening my blades on my new MM. I noticed I wasnt getting what I consider a sharp edge. I tryed lowering the grinding wheel, And it didnt really seem to help much. The only way I can really get the blades "ginsu" sharp is to lightly touch up the bottom of the blade, which I dont think is nec. with the MM.
I know when I used my brother in laws MM. It seemed like the second time I sharped the same set it was alot better. Could this be from my old inaccurate bench grinder sharpening, Or should I lower the wheel till its super close to touching the plastic on bottom. Its down like that now, But im not impressed with my edges. Just recieved balancer + sharpner on thurs
TIA
William P
PLC-LLC

kels
10-06-2003, 08:16 PM
The wheel should be almost touching the plastic table (on the 8000) and yes it has alot to do with your old blades not having the correct angle from using your bench grinder.

Magna-Matic
10-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Hello,

If you want a razor edge on your blades (eventhough that is not recommended since blades with such an edge will not last as long) you can achieve this razor edge by simply sharpening more off of the blade - or in other words sharpening it for a longer period of time.

When getting your old blades in shape that will have odd angles on them it takes a bit of metal removal to get them where they should be - and a little longer to get that razor if that is what you desire.

Please note a fine razor edge will not last as long in the field as the mildly dull edge like new blades have. You want to re-create the mildly dull edge a new blade has for best performance.

Thank you, let me know if this answers your question.