PDA

View Full Version : enclosed trailers?

cntryboymc
10-08-2003, 10:23 PM
i would like to purchase an 18ft enclosed trailer to house my mowing equipment.i believe this would aide me in not having to load/unload everyday.this also creates security from thieves and elements.any pros/cons?anyone have any good trailer pics?

troblandscape
10-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Enclosed trilers are they provide a cleaner look to any business, provide storage, but be prepared to pull the mowers out at the gas station. :D

myoder
10-10-2003, 06:12 PM
I agree with troblandscape, storage is nice, all your equipment is with you at all times, you look more professional. Here is a pic of my new trailer

myoder
10-10-2003, 06:15 PM
another

myoder
10-10-2003, 06:17 PM
Last one

cntryboymc
10-14-2003, 09:49 PM
how big is that trailer?have any inside pics of it?

myoder
10-15-2003, 12:37 AM
Next chance I get, I will take some pics of the inside.

myoder
10-15-2003, 12:40 AM
The trailer is 8.5' wide and 20' long inside

GTLC
10-18-2003, 08:36 PM
That is a nice looking trailer. Looks very professional. I find that the enclosed is better but as far as the gas issue goes, just get a large gas tank for the back of the truck.

Imow4u2
10-19-2003, 05:08 PM
I've been shopping the enclosed market and I'm leaning towards Pace. I went over some of the options with the dealer and I'm going to get the translucent roof and they also have a fuel door option. For 46$ I can get a 12 inch by 12 inch door, I'm going to get 2 on each side on a 8x20 trailer.

cntryboymc
10-22-2003, 08:57 PM
has anyone heard of an avenger trailer?

wriken
10-22-2003, 10:25 PM
Here's my 8.5x25' V-nose multi purpose trailer, hauls mowers,quads and snowmobiles. It has fuel doors, and 5200 lb axles. pulls pretty good also, I believe the v-nose helps there.

MacLawnCo
10-22-2003, 10:25 PM
If you want the best, get an H&H trailer. www.hhtrailer.com Look at the smooth sides on those enclosed....no rusted rivits to junk up your lettering on the side. They may be more expensive, but you definately get what you pay for.

Doster's L & L
10-29-2003, 03:55 AM
How many less miles/gal would i expect to get using an 18' enclosed trailor vs an 18' open trailor? Will my milage plummet or maybe just loose a mile or two/gal? Thankyou for your help.

ksland
11-03-2003, 10:01 PM
Here is mine, its a Horton Hauler 7x14' and I am extremely happy with it.

ksland
11-03-2003, 10:03 PM
Oops, helps to attach the pic :rolleyes:

ksland
11-03-2003, 10:05 PM
inside

ksland
11-03-2003, 10:07 PM
I have enough room in front of the walker for a walkbehind, or I could flip up the deck on the walker and squeeze 2 wb's but a 36" wb and the walker is all I need for my accounts.

ksland
11-03-2003, 10:10 PM
All I have for shelving so far, will fill in a lot of blanks as time goes on.

ksland
11-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Here is a daytime pic

scott's turf
11-05-2003, 08:04 AM
ksland,
Nice trailer. I have the same truck as well. I have a 16' open and I am looking for either a 14' or 16'. If you don't mind me asking, how much was your trailer?

cntryboymc
11-07-2003, 11:58 PM
great looking rig!anyone have more trailer pics?

Lakeshore
11-09-2003, 01:00 AM
I just ordered a 16-foot Haulmark Lowhauler that should be here in a few weeks. This is my second low hauler. My first low hauler was a 12 footer, and now that they offer longer lengths, I opted to get a trailer that I could get both of my Toro Z's into.

The nice thing about this trailer is that it will fit through a standard 7 foot garage door. I would get in trouble with the neighbors if I had a trailer parked out in the driveway all the time.

I'll post some pictures when it arrives...

GarPA
11-09-2003, 06:48 AM
SOmething to consider when choosing your trailer:
My wheel wells are totally outside the body of the trailer.
wished I would have gotten the model with half the wheel wells, INSIDE the trailer. You will find that one of the small annoyances with an enclosed, is always banging your shins and ankles...so get as wide as you can tolerate driving. You can also get one with the wheel wells totally inside the trailer...but...you will need bigger mirrors on the truck if you opt for this style and I did not want to tow something that wide...but many guys do buy this model...especially in the 18ft and longer models..
The walls of an enclosed offer alot of storage space .
I also would suggest not getting anything smaller than 16 ft...even if you are solo. I made that mistake with a 14ft and got rid of it for a 16
My brand is Southwest....good quality overall.
I chose not to letter the trailer as it is parked in a storage yard at nite and lettering may invite a break-in so only the trucks are lettered.
I had no choice but to buy enclosed because of my parking situation. Man they are sooooo nice , for many reasons. A friend of mine bought his Z the same time as me. He hass an open trlr. After 2 years you can see the difference between a mower that lives in an enclosed, and one that is always out in the weather.

Because I dirve a FORD, my gas mileage sucks no matter what I'm pulling ....even empty it sucks. I used to have an open and when I got the enclosed the mpg dropped by about 1 mpg. WE are rarely on the interstate as all our accounts are within the township limits. IMHO, the reduced mpg is more from the extra weight, more than the wind resistance. After you get over the chest pains when you write the check for the enlcdosed, you will be soooooo happy you bought it. Theres isn;t a day that goes by that I dont appreciate the enclosed set-up

ksland
11-09-2003, 11:08 AM
I don't understand your not lettering statement.

An enclosed trailer lettered or not lettered usually has valuables in it, atvs, dirt bike, carpentry tool, landscaping equipment. If anything I could see you inviting a whole crowd of theives with it being unlettered. Kids could be looking for dirt bikes, break in and say well hell I am taking a saw and a trimmer while I am here.

Metro Lawn
11-09-2003, 11:20 AM
Here's my 2 cents on enclosed trailers. We have 3 of them. 2 18' and 1 12'. There are several basic advantages. Looks cleaner, secure, equipment is out of the weather, and the not having to unload factor. My biggest thing is that it's a rolling billboard. Use it to your avantage. I have found not to buy "too much" trailer for your needs. I see guys pulling 20-24 foot trailers around with one walk behind in them. It makes it tough to get around and takes up lots of space. I put the 12 foot trailer on ourresidential route and the guys love it. It will hold 2 machines and all the extra gear but is small enough to get around with little effort.

Metro Lawn
11-09-2003, 11:23 AM
oops, posted wrong pic. That is the last of our open trailers. Now it's just a back up.

GarPA
11-09-2003, 06:06 PM
KSLAND....well you make a good point. I may have to reconsider.
Some days I bring it home and park in MY driveway. We have some stupid township rules about parking that kind of stuff even in a driveway.Whether or not its enforced I dont know. We're not rural enough to get away with it too often I dont think. So thats another reason I've hesitated about signage on it. I may have to rethink it as you make a good point about it maybe being more inviting with no signage on it. THanks for another point of view..

ksland
11-10-2003, 09:04 PM
I also agree with Metro on don't buy more than you need. If you are looking for a do all trailer to make a shop, storage, tools, machines and supplies I could see going large. Most trailers have a specific purpose for a certain route or job. Buy only what is needed IMO.

Turf n Dirt
11-16-2003, 08:42 PM
Make sure that the floor is thick enough. I have a 7x14 pace, and hade to beef up the floor where the rear wheels of my 60" Hustler Super Z sit. I think my brakes are worn out already too.
Overall I am very happy with the pace.

GarPA
11-17-2003, 06:35 AM
how many of you guys with enc trailers have pressure treated wood floors? My Southwest does not and I'm going to have to put primer on it and then some no skid paint. THese fllors take a beating from spills, etc.

Lowcountry Lawn Care
11-17-2003, 03:41 PM
here are some pics of my new enclosed trailer. It is a 7x16 Horton Hauler. I have a 60 in exmark inside. Plenty of room.

ksland
11-17-2003, 06:30 PM
Mine has 3/4" Pressure treated plywood floor

cntryboymc
11-19-2003, 08:21 PM
great looking rig!how many accounts do you do?what kind of dump insert do you have?

rtyus
11-21-2003, 07:43 PM
We have a 7X20 Horton Hauler that we bought this spring. It has a pressure treated plywood floor. We haven't lettered it yet but plan to do that before next season. With the drop gate, plywood on the walls and a five-foot tongue, which were all optional add-ons, it was $4200.

The disadvantage of having to unload to fuel is far offset by keeping the equipment out of the weather IMO.

dgram8
11-21-2003, 10:07 PM
ksland did you make the string trimmer rack? if so what did you use and does it work alright just ordered a new custom built trailer with a tool cage the cage is 6 ft. tall 8 ft. wide and 8 ft. long( from the fenders forward) has a gate on the side also a gate in the trailer like a stock trailer

ksland
11-22-2003, 11:19 PM
cnytryboymc- After some refinements I am down to about 35 mowing accounts. Mowing makes up 30% of my gross sales. Its a Truck Craft dump insert which I am very happy with. I compared it to the EZ Dumper and found it a little better in a few small areas and less expensive.

dgram8- I got the ideas for the trimmer racks here online, I forgot who invented them but doing a search here on the site will give you details. I wish I could take credit for the wonderful design.

cntryboymc
11-27-2003, 11:45 PM
i am considering a 7'x16' enclosed trailer.will it be big enough for jd 737 z track,jd 345(both with baggers),two trimmer mowers,blowers,string trimmers,hand tools,etc?also what kind of rack and tie down systems are you guys using?thanks for the info!

GarPA
11-28-2003, 06:28 AM
while we're on enclosed trlrs, now that I have 2 backpacks, I need to get them mounted in the walls. I;d rather not spend a couple hundred dollars for each pre-built rack. WOuld any of you be able to post pics of some that you built yourself..if in fact thats an option? If not, which pre built racks do you recommend and do you know the approximate costs? thanks

Rich's Lawn Care
11-28-2003, 08:40 AM
KS, did you sell your red dump truck?

Lakeshore
12-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Lakeshore
I'll post some pictures when it arrives...

Here it is, my new 16 foot low hauler. I can fit both of my Z's even with the trac-vac on one of them.

BARELY fits into the garage...

MacLawnCo
12-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Lakeshore
Here it is, my new 16 foot low hauler.

How much did you pay for it as it sits? That is soooo sharp, looks awesome

Lakeshore
12-17-2003, 12:38 AM
About $5800 out the door. I had some additional thinks done to it like 12 inch on center framing as opposed to 16 inch. I also added a winch plate and some more d-rings as I use the trailer for more than just my business.

zero_turn_mowers
12-17-2003, 01:39 AM
2002 Hallmark.....16X7

Tim

zero_turn_mowers
12-17-2003, 01:44 AM
Inside 2 Walkers, 4 space trimmer rack, tool box, shovel (etc), shelves in the front, overhead storage, everything we need on a daily basics is in the trailer.

GarPA
12-17-2003, 05:42 AM
nice setup you have....what is the red "thing" next to your Peltors? and the yellow things on the shelf up front??

pardon my being nosy...but I'm always looking to make improvements inside my Southwest trlr

Bai Bai
12-17-2003, 08:46 PM
I have an interstate 7 x 16 wedge nose with an inside height of 7'6" and its one of the best investments i've made. The inside height is very important you want to have plenty of head room and it gives you much more square footage for storage. Just watch for low branches.

Barkleymut
12-17-2003, 10:33 PM
GarPa- I believe the red thing is 2 rolls of trimmer string. The yellow thing is the bottom of a ladder. My wife made me print off a picture of the inside of that trailer. Now I have to go out and organize it just like that!

BTW Raptor-where did you get the trimmer racks?

zero_turn_mowers
12-18-2003, 10:26 PM
Yes that is a ladder and 2 rolls of trimmer line, Barkleymut I had a guy in Alabama custom build them, I had him build it with 3 supports to bolt on the wall and believe me they will not move I pulled on them when I put them up as hard as I could and they never moved. Paid $115.00 shipped to my door, I thought that was a good deal for a 4 space trimmer rack.

Tim