PDA

View Full Version : Toro or Scag ?

eakern
10-09-2003, 05:31 PM
Hey Folks,

I'm in the process of starting up and have been trying to decide on equipment. I was thinking that starting out with a 36" walk behind would be the most practical piece to purchase first and save the Z-rider for later. I ma stuck between a gear driven Scag and a gear driven Toro. The scag is going for around $1,500 and the Toro around $2,700. Is there any difference other than money ? I'm confused why the Toro is so much higher in price. I wish that I could afford a hyro but am hestitant to spend the money. Any suggestions ?

CSRA Landscaping
10-09-2003, 05:53 PM
I would think that Scag would be the best choice there. We're running three of them right now with no complaints.

What part of GA are you in?

65hoss
10-09-2003, 06:06 PM
Try them both out. Cut some grass with them and see which you like better. Your the one that must be happy with whatever you purchase.

grass_cuttin_fool
10-09-2003, 07:30 PM
I have both and i like the Toro alot better than the scag, my toro has the ''T-bar'' controls, if you are gonna mow all day with it then i suggest the toro, i dont like the smaller tires on the scag, seems to not handle good out in the country on ruffer yards, after all day on the machines my arms and hands are not as tired and cramped as when i use the scag, my toro has the 15hp kaw and the scag has the 15 hp kohler, seems the kaw has twice the hp and torque, any way they are my opinions, if you can try both out and see for your self

eakern
10-09-2003, 08:02 PM
I'm in Oxford Georgia. A small town about 30 miles from Atlanta.

pottstim
10-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by eakern
Hey Folks,

I'm in the process of starting up and have been trying to decide on equipment. I was thinking that starting out with a 36" walk behind would be the most practical piece to purchase first and save the Z-rider for later. I ma stuck between a gear driven Scag and a gear driven Toro. The scag is going for around $1,500 and the Toro around $2,700. Is there any difference other than money ? I'm confused why the Toro is so much higher in price. I wish that I could afford a hyro but am hestitant to spend the money. Any suggestions ?

That price for the Toro 36 sounds way too steep. I paid $2,795 for my Toro Proline 48 gear back in June. Before I bought it, I priced and identically equipped Scag 48 with the advantage deck. That dealer wanted $2,999 and would not budge at all on the price. I did ask the Scag dealer what a 36 would run and he told me $2,499, so I figured the extra 12" of cut was well worth the money. The Toro dealer I bought from wanted to deal and wanted my business, so he got the sale. The Scag dealer in so many words said, this is the list price, take it or leave it. Good luck to you in your purchase, and let us know what you decide to do.

capescaper
10-10-2003, 07:49 PM
i think toro gives a much better cut besides for the price of any one of them go with belt driven hydro is not worth it its only good for reverse

Rustic Goat
10-11-2003, 04:25 AM
Scag is my choice, but either you've mentioned are excellent.

Something isn't right about the prices you stated.
Toro is too high.
Scag is really low, sounds like a very good price, as in you ought to double check.

Either way, get a mulching kit & blades, and a two wheel sulky, you won't regret either of these.

BOSS MAN
10-15-2003, 02:54 PM
i'd get the 36" toro hydro personally. we're running three of them and they are all worth the money. toro in my opinion is the best mower on the market.

lawnmowermannh
10-22-2003, 05:56 PM
I agree with 65hoss try them both out and get what you think you'll be confortable with. Also determine what kind of properties you'll be doing. I like hydro driven for hills

firedog2710
10-29-2003, 04:21 PM
i just bought a 48" toro gear drive WB with a fixed deck and the 15 hp kawasaki. i haven't even picked it up yet because i haven't because i don't have a trailer yet (getting that around 11/1/03). anyway, i paid 2800 for mine. it was about 200 less with the 15 hp kohler. but everybody here convinced me to go with the kawasaki for power and less noise. lol.:cool:

eakern
11-04-2003, 08:51 AM
I think I've decided on the 36'' WB SCAG(Belt). But, in looking at the what SCAG had to offer, I noticed the SCAG 48'' Z Tiger Cub as well. I was wondering how difficult it would be to get this through fences. Any one out there have a problems ? I'm thinking that starting with the 36" WB would be more prudent but I can't help but think the Z would be nice.

Rustic Goat
11-04-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by eakern
I was wondering how difficult it would be to get this through fences.
Depends on how much speed you get built up, and chain link is much more difficult to go through.:D

When going through gates, all depends on gate sizes, if gates are wide enough, no problem. If gates are 36" you better have the w/b or 21" ready.

ElephantNest
11-04-2003, 12:49 PM
Scag. Tough as tanks.

A1 Grass
11-05-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
Scag. Tough as tanks.

So true, so true. My SW32 is a little monster. I call him "HECUBUS"!