PDA

View Full Version : starting out in east tennessee

rtjim
10-12-2003, 06:23 PM
I was just wondering what people are charging for mowing residences in the east tennessee area I hope to start up operations in the spring.

o-so-n-so
10-12-2003, 08:04 PM
rtjim,
Welcome to Lawnsite....I'm in N. Central Alabama so I can't give you a price for your area. Here, just mowing service ranges from around $25.00 - $60.00 per man hour.
I was working a proposal for a commercial account a couple of weeks ago and I ask a friend that is in the biz what his thoughts were. He said he would go in at $25 pmh (I was at $50 pmh). I can't make it at $25.00 pmh because I'm solo most of the time with lots of overhead.
I say.... know your operating costs, gas,oil, maint, time, repairs, and so on, then go from there. This is an enjoyable job but can be stressful if your not getting paid. Do detailed work and sell yourself and the rest will happen.

pottstim
10-12-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by rtjim
I was just wondering what people are charging for mowing residences in the east tennessee area I hope to start up operations in the spring.

Hello,
I am located in East Tennessee, about 1/2 hour NE of Knoxville. Did you just move to this area? I see below your name it says Northeast. What part of East Tennessee are you located in? The rates in my area are pretty close to what o-so-n-so posted for his area in Alabama. My location is pretty rural. I live between a town of 7,500 and 20,000. I basically just started this deal back in June, and I like to average at least $30/hour. For instance, one yard I do is a little bit shy of an acre. It takes me 60-70 minutes to mow, trim, and blow. I charge $35, so I am pretty much within my hourly average. My operation is strictly solo/ Part-time, and all of my equipment is paid for except my mower. Therefore I have a lower overhead. Do like o-so-n-so suggested and figure up your operating costs, then go from there. Best of luck to you.