PDA

View Full Version : Exmark lazer Z or Scag Turf Tiger?

tomcamps
10-16-2000, 09:28 PM
Hello folks. I'm looking to buy my 1st rider. Unsure between these two. Anyone own or have used both to compare. I belive in spending on the right equipment the first time and not regret it vs. saving a couple bucks. I have demo'd both but my familiarity with a fast rider leaves me amazed with both. Any points on quality of equipment as well as cut needed. I've heard to stay away from any Kholer engine at all cost. True? Thanks

Barkleymut
10-16-2000, 09:34 PM
I've heard nothing but great praise for the Lazer Z. The Scag has received mixed reviews. Some guys love them and some wish they were better. I have noticed locally more and more Scag riders. I personally use a Chopper and have been very happy with it. I would chose based on dealer support (talk to others in your area) and Good Luck.

Administrator
10-16-2000, 09:41 PM
Hands down the Lazer Z cuts better than the Scag. Go with a LQ Kawasaki

Lawnworks
10-16-2000, 09:55 PM
I have not tried the scag, but it seems they are overpriced. You cannot go wrong with exmark or DC. The ONLY reason I MIGHT consider buying a scag is because of their advantage deck. It is supposed to cut bahia grass really well. You did not like one better than the other when demoing? Also, which one has the better dealer?

toddman35
10-16-2000, 10:03 PM
i have not tried either one of these, but i would go with the lazer, just from what people have said.

little green guy
10-16-2000, 10:16 PM
I was at my dealer's today because I just picked up a new push blower and I was also talking to him about the riders. He had both exmark and scags sitting there. I have run both extensivly but I still thought I talk to him about it. He said that he likes the 52" scag better than the 52" exmark but the 60" exmark better than the 60" scag. I like the exmark better. He told be he would give me the eps lazer for 8,300.00 or the liquid cooled for around that too. The eps is real nice.

MIDSOUTH
10-16-2000, 11:13 PM
i live in an area where there is alot of bahia and other tough stuff to cut-the lazer does not cut good in this,i see it all the time with all the lazer owners around here-the scag cuts excellent-if you know how to operate the scag-it will cut just as good or better than the lazer-this is my opinion and all the people hollering "go for the lazer" that is their opinion-demo them then chose-i would go for the scag over a lazer anyday-i'll put my 61" scag up against a laser 60" anyday.

Evan528
10-16-2000, 11:32 PM
get the z master. I own it and love it but have never cut warm season grass with it. I have heard from others on here though that it does a great job on warm season grass because of the super flow decl.

Runner
10-17-2000, 12:20 AM
Little Green Guy, I f you can get an EPS for 8300.00, that sounds like a pretty good deal! I paid 9300.00 for mine (incl. tax) and I thought I had a pretty good deal. GREAT machine, and you you would have NO regrets, except that you didn't do it sooner.

JPexclusive
10-17-2000, 12:52 AM
I would also agree with Evan528. I sugest looking at the toro ZMaster. I've owned both the DC 60" w/23hp kohler and Zmaster with a 62" deck and the 23hp kohler. As far as quality of cut Zmaster all the way. cuts bahai great, with the sfs deck. the Zmaster is pretty much the same as the exmark. I paid $6999 for my toro.. good machine.

JB1
10-17-2000, 04:42 PM
just curious, but what are they pricing the scag at . i bought one about 5 weeks ago , and was curious as what they are in different locations.

Skookum
10-17-2000, 06:14 PM
I have a earlier Toro Zmaster that was built by Toro. The new ones are built using Exmark frames and Toro decks. Toro owns Exmark,! Buying a Toro, you are just buying the deck.

mdb landscaping
10-17-2000, 08:35 PM
hey JB lawn,
i just priced out a 52 inch turf tiger with the 25 hp kohler for $7600 w/o tax up here in CT. i plan on purchasing it in the spring

Charles
10-17-2000, 08:39 PM
I wouldnt buy anything or bang anything called a scag

MIDSOUTH
10-17-2000, 09:10 PM
hey charles- SCAG RULES!!

mdb landscaping
10-17-2000, 09:37 PM
your on your own charles. because i agree and scag does rule.

Eric ELM
10-17-2000, 09:51 PM
In this part of the country Scag doesn't rule either. They sure aren't popular here. The only one I have seen in this area this season was sitting next to a ditch with a for sale sign on it.

RYAN
10-17-2000, 10:03 PM
I agree with Charles and Eric. The only thing that Scag rules is the repair shop.

Charles
10-17-2000, 10:06 PM
Yea some these guys must have not owned a Chopper or a lazer to compare it to:)

Tomslawncare1
10-17-2000, 10:44 PM
JBLawn the price was around 8150 for a 60" deck 22hp Kow motor with the advantage deck. My other name is Tomcamps

Cutter1
10-18-2000, 12:37 AM
I have a laser and have tried everything!!!! Scag, DIXIE CHOPPER, great dane, bunton, toro. I have always used Exmark. THey will cut anything and do it good in the process.

Duncan IN
11-13-2000, 01:47 AM
You get what you pay for! I bought my 2000 Scag Turf tiger with 61" advantage and 22 LQ Kaw. LOVE IT! I paid 8000 even after taxes. I think I got a steal on it. Some one on here said that the scags are priced to high. From what I have saw Exmarks are alot more. The person that said that has an exmark\

Levi Duncan
Lone Tree Lawn Care

osc
11-13-2000, 08:08 PM
Demo a Great Dane Chariot before you buy. These mowers may be the most under-rated of the market. The 61 comes with a 25 horse Kohler which a lot of people don't like but it is a very fast machine and it cuts great. I've demo'd nearly every ztr and this machine has never disappointed me on speed, quality and money making ability.
One thing about Kawasaki motors is that none of them seem to pull the torque that the horse power would suggest, atleast of the ones I've owned. Kohler does get down to business when under a load. The exception is the Kaw 14.5 F420V which may be one of the best engines ever. The 17 horse air cooled stinks. The 18 horse Kohler Magnum was also a good motor.
The Chariot has a lot of baffling under the deck and creates a high quality cut with virtually no clippings but is not so good for those bush hog jobs we all encounter from time to time. The grass circulates under the deck for too long to cut really high grass with any speed. A Scag mower does a great job of evacuating the grass out the discharge chute quickly and therefore is a great mower in high grass because it gets the clippings out of the way so you can cut more grass. Unless ofcourse you have the Advantage deck which I have not tried yet.

Happy Shopping!

crew
11-13-2000, 08:41 PM
I have two lazer 60's and cannot imagine a better mower exists.I also have a new toro 52" wb with the sfs deck and i hope this deck works better on the ztr than the wb's. Compared to other 10 year old 52" toro wb's i own, the sfs deck works like s**t.
I demod a cub cadet ztr (dont laugh) last week and must say I was impressed. Almost 2000 cheaper than a lazer and, depending on who is going to drive it, might be worth looking into.

lawrence stone
11-13-2000, 08:51 PM
Crew wrote:

>I also have a new toro 52" wb with the sfs deck and i hope this deck works better on the ztr than the wb's. Compared to other 10 year old 52" toro wb's i own, the sfs deck works like s**t.

What exactly is the difference between the "old" 52" deck and the "new" 52" deck?

Evan528
11-13-2000, 09:04 PM
i heard bad things about the toro 52 several times! well.... at least my 62 cuts great!

bdemir
11-13-2000, 11:20 PM
Cub cadet? Who makes those?

Eric ELM
11-13-2000, 11:43 PM
M T D makes International

MIDSOUTH
11-13-2000, 11:50 PM
i was ginding up leaves today and this though run through my mind----- SCAG is the best,far above from the rest.

Sammy
11-13-2000, 11:57 PM
MTD makes the Cub Cadet.
MTD makes Lesco and Cadet Pro line.
MTD has a new line out called TANK. [I think thats what they are called]
MTD also sells a International rider and push mower for on line purchase only.

MTD SUCKS !

Ocutter
11-14-2000, 09:26 AM
I bought my used 98 Scag turf tiger 2 mo ago (paid 5300.00 inc. tx) and was impressed with the cutting ability (along with the deck height), speed, and performance. After all the posts on Kohlers here I too had to get the gaskets changed caused by oil burning. Avoid Kohlers if possible. Mine is a 22hp. The problem has been fixed but will not know for sure until next season due to the season ending.