PDA

View Full Version : Starting a lawn care business in Chicago

marko
10-16-2003, 03:34 PM
I am going to start a lawncare business in the Chicage suburbs in the Spring of 04. I owned a business in Iowa that was mainly fertilizing and weed control with about 10 or so mowing accounts. I used a 48' Walker and Echo trimmers, edgers and blowers. I was hoping that I could get so advice from some of the pro's to help me get going. I am moving to an area where I know a few people, but will be starting from scratch. I have a chance to by a business, approx. 30 accounts $750 a week. He has not come up with a price on the business yet, but I will heed the advice (6 weeks gross etc.) given on this board. The equipment he has to offer is as follows:
32" Bobcat 1998 $1400
36" " 1990 $900
48" " 1990 $700
All of these are the larger walk behinds.

The equipment seems to be a bit high, but I am not too sure.
I would like to use a side discharge mower and not have to worry about finding a place to get rid of it, etc. I loved my Walker, but never used the side discharge deck. Is this a good mower? What would you recommend for approx. 30 - 50 lawns, most seeming to have gates in the back? I have limited funds and would like to have a smaller walk behind and a rider (apprx 48"). I plan to start out by myself and hire help as it grows.

Another bit of advice on the most effective way of getting customers from scratch( ie. newspaper, flyers etc.) Flyers would seem to be the most effective.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

twins_lawn_care
10-16-2003, 03:52 PM
Where abouts are you going to be startig business up Mark.
I'd be more than willing to help with some advice, so long as you're not too close to me! :D

Are you planning on doing this full time, or will you be working full time and running the LCO part time? That may have a lot to do with how much you expand instantly. You don't want to take on more than you can handle from the start, and on teh other hand, if you are going at it full time, you'll want to make sure you have enough income to support your needs.

As far as the advertising goes, we've gotten the LEAST response from flyers. Advertising on your vehicle, word of mouth, and door hangers have worked the best for us.

Good luck up here in Chi-Town, maybe we'll run into you sometime!