PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a Ford F-350...

allstar
10-18-2003, 10:41 AM
I was originally planning to trade my '99 Expedition for a F-150 but, after talking with a few guys who have been in this business awhile,I might try to purchase a larger truck.I don't really need it now but as my business grows(I hope) I'll need a larger trailer,more equipment and a more powerful truck.They're pretty expensive,though,so I'm looking to reduce the cost as much as possible.I'm really not interested in a used vehicle.
What are some features that I really DON"T need?For example,leather seats are nice but really not necessary.How about other things like 4-wheel drive?The fully loaded F-350's that I've looked at are priced in the mid to upper 40's.Any suggestions on how to get as many IMPORTANT features as possible for the lowest price?Thanks. Jim

Logan's Landscaping
10-19-2003, 09:34 AM
Well i just bought a2002 Ford f350 4x4 and i love it.I bought it here in Va from one of the ford dealers with only 13000 miles for $21000. I had 1995 Chevy 2500 2x4 and it worked well when i first started but when i started expanding i need the extra power and carrying capacity.I looked at getting all the extras like leather power seats you know if i was getting it for a personal truck when i thought about it and said to myself this is a work truck and decided to only get only the basic comforts like a/c and a nice after market radio. I also plan on putting a snow plow on it which will hopefully make me more money in the winter. One other thing if you plan on keeping the truck for more than 100,000 mile then i would suggest getting a diesel engine but just remember that engine is going to be about a 5 to 6 thousand dollar option . Hope this info helps

Randy Scott
10-19-2003, 09:46 AM
Are you buying the truck strictly for work, or for work and personal vehicle? That would decide what you can and cannot live without.

allstar
10-20-2003, 06:08 AM
Business AND Personal.It will be my only vehicle,plus I have a son and coach a baseball team so it seems like I'm constantly carrying around a bunch of kids.The extended cab is pretty much a must have.Also,I'm pretty much convinced that I want to get a diesel.
I looked at a bunch of vehicles this weekend.If I eliminate leather seats and 4X4(I really believe I can do without that),that will knock the price down to around 40k.I have a '99 Eddie Bauer Expedition that's pretty much paid for which I can either trade or sell so I'm looking at financing around 27-29k.I believe I could swing that but would like to get it a LITTLE lower if I can.

dlandscaping
10-22-2003, 07:57 PM
40k?? Where are you looking??
I paid $37500 for my 2003 f350 supercab xlt all options besides sport package 4*4 bedliner cab steps the works. I unfortunately got the 6.0l psd and well bad luck there.

FrankenScagMachines
10-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Just for curiosity, why do you want/need a dually? What kind of trailer do you haul and are you planning on growing the biz alot? If you plan to plow get 4x4, you may decide to plow in the future then would have to get rid of this truck. Haven't been price shopping but if you got a F250 or a 350 w/single rear wheel it might let you afford 4x4? You can do alot with a 3/4 ton (F250) and you can get the 350 with single rear wheels too. Just thinking out loud.

allstar
10-23-2003, 08:16 AM
I assume a "dually" is a truck with two rear wheels on each side.All the F-350's that I've looked at had this feature.I definitely don't need this,though.
I definitely have HOPES of needing a large truck in the not too distant future.Even if that's a few years away I don't see any reason not to go ahead and get one now,provided I can sell my Expedition for a good price and get a manageable monthly payment on the new vehicle.

olderthandirt
10-23-2003, 12:34 PM
I got one,2003 F350 diesel 4x4, just buy the xlt model. Traded a supercab 350 4x4 dually for it. Don't buy a dually unless your just gonna pull LARGE trailors all the time, they suck up more fuel harder to park becouse of size. This is my 4th powerstroke since 96 and the best I ever got for fuel milage is 18 on the highway, empty. Most of the time 12 -14 so don't spend the extra $$$ on a diesel thinking you will make it up with fuel economy. Also if your talking 40k someone better be putting you in a crew cab 4x4 diesel at that price [now thats a family van for the soccer moms]

longviewlawncare
10-23-2003, 07:15 PM
That seems kinda steep. I bought my 03 chevy 3500 crew cab 4x4 in feb. for around 40k loaded with everything but the dvd system. The fords were about the same price. i would look around some more if that is the best price you are getting. Good luck

bam
10-23-2003, 07:49 PM
fords dually is going to jump the gvw from 9900 for a single wheel 350 to around 11500 for the dually. a 450 would bump the gvw to 15000.

most likely a single rear wheel should be enough. esp. for business and personal use.

Sherminator
10-23-2003, 08:57 PM
The towing capacity difference between an F-250 and an F-350 with single rear wheels is less than 1000 pounds. So, get an F-250. If you are going to haul kids around, you have to get the crew cab. But beware, the new 6.0L diesel isn't worth a flying
f--k. This leaves you with only one other real option- get a Dodge 2500 with the Cummins HO and you won't be sorry. I wouldn't have one of those sucky Fords if my b--ls were on the line. Just my experience.

Scotlawncare
10-27-2003, 05:22 PM
Ford has worked out the kinks on the 6.0 diesel. I have a 03 250 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 that is less than a month old. I started having problems with surging idle. New flash was out for the computer. problems fixed.

Look at getting an 03 xlt 250 2wd either crew cab or extended cab and don't look back. 03's will have better rebates and dealers want them off the lots.

a single rear wheel 350 is good but 250 will be the same. 250 will cost a few bucks less but still pull the same amount. You should be able to get one for 28-32k depending on rebates for the xlt 250 supercab 2wd 6.0 diesel auto.

have any questions on the 6.0 motor check out www.dieselstop.com

Scot