PDA

View Full Version : Is the Market Flooded?

atlj007
10-19-2003, 10:55 AM
If you were attempting to start a lawncare business, do you believe the clientele is greater now then when you first started? Second question: Is there more people trying this line of work now or when you started? State years working in lawncare, whether you work alone or have a crew, and possibly if this is not too nosey how much you pull in a month?

Let it Grow
10-19-2003, 02:12 PM
The market is saturated with guys who don't have licenses, don't pay taxes, don't pay insurance or workers comp. It seems like everyone and thier dog thinks they can start a lawn care business. I wish I knew how to make the state more strict about this because it makes things harder for guys who run thier business legally.

tiedeman
10-19-2003, 02:58 PM
I feel that when you start in a lawn care business today you have to work by yourself for a while to generate your client base. Just this past summer, I was finally able to sit in the office while the crews were outside. Sure I still go out about 3 to 4 hours everyday, but I could never do that before. The clients today though want quality service. I have noticed that people really don't care about the price, its the service and the "name" of the company.

There are plenty of customers out there that must be marketed to their own special needs. I truly believe that you can not market to more than one customer the same way, it just doesn't work.

deason
10-20-2003, 11:19 PM
In my area, yes the market is flooded. AS the others have said, there are too many who dont pay taxes, ins, ect. and make a killing by lowballing every other lawn they get. Anybody can throw a $99 murry in the back of a toyota and call themselves a "lawn business'. This is what I have looked at for the past 2 years in my area and this fall have decided to do something about it.

There is more to this business than cutting grass. IMO, cutting is the least profitable in this business. You have a LOT of expense cutting, with marginal profit. Dont get me wrong, cutting is the "bread and butter", and it is needed to keep revenue steady. Alot of you side work (hedges, mulch, seeding, sod, ect) stem from the accounts that you regualarly service.

What I plan to do is let them have all the cutting they want. If they want to cut a $50 account for $25, them let them do it. No skin off my back. That homeowner was looking for that in the first place. The accounts that you need to worry about are the ones that want quality work and something the average "scrub" can't offer - diversity. IMO, if you want to succeed, you have to be diverse. You have to do what he cant. Can he Aerate? NO. Can he seed (succesfully)? NO. Can he lay sod? NO. Is he licensed to spray? NO. The list goes on and on. You have to find and do what he does not have time, or the money to do. All of the things i mentioned above require additional knowledge other than "how high do I cut it this week"? They require additional capital to fund the expenses. But, while studying these other types of good revenue producing objectives, you will have an edge over him. You will be able to offer more services in a marketplace that is saturated with those who choose the easiest thing to do- cutting.

And BTW, yes that is nosey and also a pointless question. Its not how much you make in a month, Its how much PROFIT you make in a month. There is a big difference. :D

GarPA
10-21-2003, 06:04 AM
Yes its "flooded" with the kind of yahoos noted in the above post....but....with babyboomers getting older by the millions, and them working longer and longer hours just to keep their jobs, there is considerable growth potential in our industry.

If you do only mowing, you are right in the pea soup with the guys with a Sears mower and a Ryobo blower.....but...if you do high quality work(mowing) and are VERY dependable, don;t look like you live in a box at night, AND can do professional landscape work, there is more work out there than there are guys to do it.

Somewhere I read or heard recently that this industry will experience strong growth over the next 10 years. And I can see the tendancy even in a soft economy in that more and more people want to hire us for mowing and/or landscape tasks that they used to do themselves. In only a couple of years, we have all the business we can handle.

Yep its "flooded"..flooded with guys who only make us look good when we take over one of their former customers

Rustic Goat
10-22-2003, 03:17 AM
Yes, the market is flooded.
Always has been.
Always will be.
Get over it, get out there and do your best, don't worry about quantity of competition, control what you can, your work, your quality.