PDA

View Full Version : Value of this Truck?

o-so-n-so
10-20-2003, 08:36 PM
I'm in the process of maybe buying a additional truck. I came across this unit and was wondering if I could get your input on the value of it.

1997 Chevy Cheyenne
4X4
Turbo Diesel
Auto OD
3500 with single rear wheels (looks like a 3/4 ton)
Crew Cab (four full doors)
LWB
AC..cold
162K miles
One dent in rear Q panel behind tail light ( Jack Knife dent )
Tires 80%
I can buy it for $7500.00

Whatcha think?

Woody82986
10-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Around here in North Texas, it blue books at $8300 give or take a few hundred. I guess if your market is comparible there in Alabama, then go for it. I would start out lower though just to feel him out. I would start with $6500 or $6800 to see if he will budge. $7500 doesn't seem too bad a price anyway though.

pottstim
10-21-2003, 09:56 PM
That price seems to be inline from the trucks I have seen around here that are similar to the one you are looking at. All things are negotiable of course. I would really consider taking the truck to a certified diesel mechanic if the owner will let you. Have the mechanic go over it with a fine tooth comb. The 6.5 had some issues with the injector pumps and cooling systems. From what I have heard, the 97-2000 6.5's were much better with updated injector pumps and dual thermostats. Good luck and let us know if you buy it or not.

nelbuts
10-22-2003, 06:18 PM
DON'T BUY THAT TRUCK!

I am a Chevy person and have had them all my years but do not buy that truck. Major problems with the injectors and the selnoid switch for the injectors. They stick and the thing will just die. Had a 1996 Chevy 3500 with that motor. Three injector sets later I traded it. Actually it had a 100,000 mile warrantyso at 99,000 I traded it. Only one thing helped and that was told to me by the dealer. Put 1 oz. of trans. fluid in for every gallon of fuel. Lubricates the thing right up. BTW check the book and u will see that the motor will drop the value compared to gas. Hope it helps but i would be afraid if I were you.

o-so-n-so
10-23-2003, 02:26 AM
A couple injectors had be worked on or replaced. I had also thought that those engines were not the best. Going to look at it again today and maybe take a pic or two.......Still undecided...

Thanks for the info.......