PDA

View Full Version : Refueling Tank

Qdriver
10-21-2003, 04:59 PM
How many out there have a refueling tank for equipment mounted on your rig? (Not just carrying gas cans)

If so why & where /how was it installed.

If not, Why not?

glenjr10
10-21-2003, 09:08 PM
i am looking trying to locate one also, but have not been able to find one for Gasoline that is D.O.T. approved. they are everywhere for Diesel, but have not been able to find any for gasoline.

If anyone knows of where to get a fuel transfer tank that is D.O.T. approved, please post, or e-mail me at glenjr10@bellsouth.net

glenjr10
i am looking trying to locate one also, but have not been able to find one for Gasoline that is D.O.T. approved. they are everywhere for Diesel, but have not been able to find any for gasoline.

If anyone knows of where to get a fuel transfer tank that is D.O.T. approved, please post, or e-mail me at glenjr10@bellsouth.net

glenjr10

Qdriver
10-21-2003, 10:09 PM
Local:
I looked under "tanks" in the YP and found a few who would build a steel one or sell a production unit made of D-plate for the back of pick-ups. 50gal around $550.

Out-of-state:

Just do a search on yahoo for "fuel+tank"

Problem is they all have inlet and outlet on top of the tank. I do not want one that stays with the truck, I want one that stays with the equipment. Also, I need one that fills fr the frt and outlet on the side (due to the space I will put it in)

Then, I figured the weight of tank ~50-100lbs+ fuel 50 gal ~325lbs & decided to look into poly tanks. (more weight less gas mileage) I am still doing research....

Mowingman
10-21-2003, 10:53 PM
I bought an auxiliary fuel tank that was made for a Chevy pickup. It was approved by DOT for gasoline. I then mounted it on top of my high side landscape trailer. I did not put a pump on it, as it is up high and I can use gravity to fuel my mowers. I have been told by a local bulk fuel dealer that DOT does not have any authority over tanks that hold less than 100 gal. My aux. tank on the trailer only holds 25 gal.
I also have a 50 gal. fuel transfer tank on each of my pickups. I use a hand pump on each of these. I would not be at all concerned about DOT as long as the tank is under 100 gal. However, some state laws may be different.:)

Team Gopher
10-29-2003, 09:08 AM
Hi Qdriver,

Here is an aux. fuel tank. Click image for link.

http://www.mobilitytransport.com/Other_Accessories/trans/a_toolbox.jpg (http://www.mobilitytransport.com/Other_Accessories/trans/toolbox_tank.htm)

Qdriver
10-29-2003, 10:04 AM
Gopher, thanks,.. yea I have seen the ones that are made for the back of P/U's. What advantages do you feel the aux tank provides?

I am looking to have a 25-50g tank mounted on the front of the trailer itself w/ a 12v pump, 10' hose and a nozzle. I will build a large cage around it for security and other tools. I am looking for the least expensive and lightest weight set-up I can develop.

My theory is,. less time at the gas station everyday and not having to carry (as many) gas cans. (I just think that looks unsafe and unprofessional...I am sure I am the only one who feels that way....) This may only shave a small fraction of time off and save a penny or two each day. There are other reasons But, I just think it will be best for the long run.

I started this thread to see if anyone already had one and get advise on the whole idea...

wriken
10-29-2003, 11:19 AM
here's mine mounted in the back of my 2nd truck, works out pretty good, sort of wish I would have got a bigger one. This is about 36 gal.

wriken
10-29-2003, 11:20 AM
side view

Moguy
10-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Northerntool.com sells transfer tank/toolbox combos, 41 to 97 gallon, from $500 to 800.

dobehap
10-29-2003, 01:31 PM
I got a L-shape trasfer tank from northern tool, 55 galon. Its nice because it goes underneath (partly) your toolbox, so there is no wasted space.
I also got a fil-rite 15gpm pump. It fills 5 galon tank up in like 10 seconds.

No more gas cans for me.
I still carry a 2 gallon -2 mix
and one gallon regular gas, just in case mower runs out of gas in the outfield.

tovoninc
10-29-2003, 04:28 PM
Wriken, I see that you have an out building for your wood burning boiler (I assume that's what it is). If so how do you like it and how long have you had it. This is off the topic I know.

wriken
10-29-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by tovoninc
Wriken, I see that you have an out building for your wood burning boiler (I assume that's what it is). If so how do you like it and how long have you had it. This is off the topic I know.

love it, its made just the way u see it. I heat just my house for right now, but you can hook it to heat you hot water, clothes dryer, and a hot tub. last jan/feb my propane was 78/80 $ for the 2 months, I cook, heat hot water and dry clothes with propane. Last yaer was the first year I run it, brother-in-law has one similar for 3 years.

tovoninc
10-29-2003, 08:00 PM
Great use of resources. I run an insert in the basement fireplace but it's no where near as convenient as your set up. Payback is very short based on those savings! Nice job.

Qdriver
10-30-2003, 12:46 PM
Wriken, is that hand pump efficient? Why go w/a hand pump over a 12v? I mean beside the most obvious money issue....

I just ordered a Northern Toll catalog. I ll see what they have. I looked through the transfer flow catalog too. I am talking with some local manf. to see how much it would cost to design just what I need. As opposed to ordering a production model that is not quite what I need. If the cost of local is too high though, I will just order it out-of-state.

So no one has a tank mounted on their trailer? Any reasons why?

Thanks for all the comments...

Gravel Rat
10-30-2003, 02:46 PM
One thing to keep in mind are you going to be burning that much gas to warrent carrying 50 gallons of gas around ?

Gas doesn't last long unless you run a stabilizer but even then you still get condensation in your fuel you also could get dirt in the fuel.

The excavation contractors carry a slip tank to carry diesel but they never carry a tank to carry gasoline just not worth it.

I know gas cans can be a pita but its cheaper in the long run and safer.

If you want to come to Canada these guys build slip tanks but for diesel fuel only www.tidytanks.com/about.html

Qdriver
10-30-2003, 04:15 PM
Well,.. I do not feel the quantity is a factor, whether it is a 5g jerry can or a 50g tank as it will all be used. Gas is THE largest consumable in this business. (other than time)

As far as condensation, if you keep a tank full during periods of greatest temperature difference, (evening/night) it will not form. Even though that will probably not be the the case in this use as that is what I am trying to get away from (going to the station everyday) But, a double wall and or insulation will solve even that.

Gasoline will not break down unless stagnate for many months.

I just think it will save time and money to have a refueling tank on hand. I feel it is safer and more professional looking. Not to mention an aide in expense tracking.

There may be a valid reason not to have one. That is what I am trying to find out. I have not as of yet.

Gravel Rat
10-30-2003, 04:45 PM
If you use large amounts of gas perday I can see some benefits of going with a larger tank.

You will have to look at the DOT rules for carrying gasoline and what is required to carry it safely.

The cheapest option is buy gas in 45 gallon drum and get yourself a drum pump that screws into the bung of the drum. You would have to make a stand up to hold the drum in the back of your truck.

tovoninc
10-30-2003, 04:56 PM
Has anyone every checked into what is required to get an exemption to buy gasoline for field use? In other words field diesel for farmers is a different color (for tracking purposes) and does not include the road tax. Not sure if it would be worth the effort but it could add up to a bunch of $$. I believe there is ~ $0.40 per gallon of tax per gallon here in Ohio. Just don't use it in your truck tank!

Qdriver
10-30-2003, 06:33 PM
Tovonic,...I would not think I would need an exemption to purchase regular gasoline from your local station just because it was pumped into a 50g storage tank instead of into a vehicle.

I could be wrong but, that would mean filling up a 5gal gas can was illegal also. And if my truck was running low,... I would indeed pull the hose around and gas her up... It is all business use. ( I know you were really talking about diesel though.)

Gravel Rat,...based on the research I have done,...as long as the tank is not bigger than 100gal. It is not covered by DOT rules.

CT18fireman
10-30-2003, 07:32 PM
I use one. I have to agree that it is definately a savings in time and ease to fill equipment. We have one for diesel and one for gas. Keep cans only for small equipment and field use.

Gravel Rat
10-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Around here anybody can buy Marked fuel it doesn't matter who you are. You can save a bit of money running marked fuel if you use alot in equipment with our fuel here there is alot of road tax on pump gas from a station.

tovoninc
10-31-2003, 08:12 AM
Sorry, I'm not making myself clear. Farm Co-op & Landmark to name a two of many around here, sell fuel in bulk (has nothing to do with buying gas at a gas station) for use specifically off road. My point is that you may be able to buy bulk fuel for off road use (cutting grass for example) at ~ $0.90 per gallon compared to the cost at the gas station of ~$1.30 per gallon (assuming $0.40 road tax per gallon). LIke I said, farmers around here do it with diesel. I will ask my farmer buddy the next time I see him if it also applies ot the gasoline he uses for farm use.

Qdriver
10-31-2003, 10:40 AM
Tovonic,..O.K. I understand... You are talking about paying less for buying in bulk....

I have checked into that in my local area. The discount does not come into effect until you get to around 2K gal. per month. Sooooo. I have a while B4 that will apply to my operation.

I guess it is more applicable to rural areas than a city area like Jax, FL (Big Fl/GA football game here tomorrow!!) Wo WO wo

CT18,... are your tanks mounted on your trailer or in your truck?

CT18fireman
11-01-2003, 07:27 PM
The gas one is mounted to my landscape. Easily removable though. I can put it in a truck if the trailer is not going out. The diesel is mounted in my truck because sometimes I need diesel where I would not want to take the trailer.

I mounted it on the tongue of the trailer. No one has said anything to me about it.

Qdriver
11-02-2003, 05:12 PM
C18,.. got any pics? I am looking to mount mine at the front of the trailer,.. not quite on the tongue.