PDA

View Full Version : help with ideas

lockemn
10-22-2003, 04:42 PM
i am thinkin of starting my own mowing buisness and then later on (in a couple of years) doing landscaping too.

When i decide to start doing this it will probably be in may 04.
How should i go about buying equiptment? New? or used?
What brand of mower? for everything else i was thinkin stihl.
how big of a trailor?
should i invite one of my friends as a employee?
Should i take out a loan on my equiptment?
what to charge for 1/4 and 1/5 acre lots fairly flat
And i know theres so many other questions i have but cant think of them rite now

twins_lawn_care
10-22-2003, 05:08 PM
it is good that you are thinking ahead. Keep reading up on here to learn a lot of things you will need to help you out. Try to slow down though! All of your questions are valid ones, but try to research them individually, as each has way too many facets of information to attack at once. If you are planning to start next year, one thing I may consider is starting at the begining of the season, rather than in May. it will be a lot easier to try and get new customers then. If you are not starting until may because of school, by all means finish school, and concentrate on that. Start out small, and learn as you go, as well as grow as you go. Don't get into much debt if at all possible, and try to get equipment for what will help you the most for the kinds of properties that you will be servicing. I'd say if you are starting the business alone, go it alone until you have too much work that you can handle alone. At that time, hire someone on to help you out, and just pay them hourly.
I tried to give you some things to work on here, there's much much more to it though.
The best thing to do is read for hours and hours on this forum about all the questions you have. It is free, and you will save thousands literally down the road by doing so.
Good Luck with the business!

lockemn
10-22-2003, 05:14 PM
Thank you Twins!

What are some books/reference guides to look for?

Let it Grow
10-22-2003, 05:53 PM
Like twins said, spend time on this site. Spend the whole winter reading every post you can. You will learn more from this site than almost anywhere else.

I just started last May because of college. If that is your case just start as soon as possible. If at all possible start in late Feb.

I hired a friend of mine on for the summer and it worked pretty good BUT that is because I knew him very well, and knew what to expect. I wouldn't recommend hiring good friends. Run the business as long as possbile by yourself, then look into finding someone.

I bought new equipment. I would recommend you do the same if at all possible. If you are good with mechanical stuff then you may be able to get away with buying used. I have a degree in Auto Tech so I will be buying some used equip. because I know how to fix it when it breaks. You need equipment that you can rely on. I bought two HRC 216 Honda Hydro wb's and I love them. I also bought a Honda 4-stroke trimmer, and love it too. I would highly recommend Honda.

I have a 5x12 trailer, and it is a great size right now. In about two years I will need to buy a bigger one, but it is perfect for my size right now.

What to charge?...Figure out how much money you need to make per hour, then when you do an estimate try to figure out how much time it will take, then multiply that by your hourly rate. It may be hard at first, but you'll get real good at it!

Good Luck!!!

Rustic Goat
10-23-2003, 03:16 AM
If you haven't already, start by reading this thread on this site, then read every other thread for a fundamental Green Industry education.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13339