PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Cleanup Pics

JLC
10-23-2003, 12:17 AM
Dont have all the parts painted yet, I've been waiting on the Billy Goat green to paint the tranfer tube and discharge extention. It works really well. Sorry for the attachment style. I don't know how to get the pics to the website.

JLC
10-23-2003, 12:19 AM
Another

JLC
10-23-2003, 12:23 AM
Full Load

JLC
10-23-2003, 12:24 AM
Here's is our Hustler with Bac Vac

tiedeman
10-23-2003, 12:32 AM
thats a nice leaf setup

VnDrWLawnCare
10-23-2003, 12:45 AM
Hey really like the setup. You sure packed them leaves in there. How do you allow your box to breath. I see some holes on top. Could you explain some. Thanks
Eric

JLC
10-23-2003, 12:47 AM
Vac mount fabricated to attach to a Blizzard 810 Plow mount.

JLC
10-23-2003, 12:49 AM
Transfer tube to feed to the box. Supported on both ends and locks ahead out of the box for dumping.

JLC
10-23-2003, 12:51 AM
Box inside. We left it unpainted to see how it would wear, take abuse...and we don't enjoy painting. :) The venting seems to be adequate. You cant see the back vent. Used 1/4 inch square mesh screening. No plugging issues.

TLS
10-23-2003, 01:34 AM
NICE SETUP!!!

Nice truck too! Don't see too many dumping flat beds.

How does it do sucking up the dense already bagged debris? Does it try to suck big clumps at a time? Or does it feed and swallow nice and smooth?

Any blower tube clogs?

One of these days I'll get a loader and a dumper. Until then, I HATE leaf season with a passion.

crazygator
10-23-2003, 01:49 AM
Now that is one very slick set up!

Very nice job, and thanks for sharing it with us. I am jealous! :)

o-so-n-so
10-23-2003, 04:12 AM
Very nice..........Bet you stay busy.

Could you possibly make a mulch blower using your setup. Haul mulch in dump, vacuum it right out and blow it into place. I have seen some Mulch blowers that look similar.

Mickhippy
10-23-2003, 07:04 AM
Man, thats a cool set-up! Makes me so happy we dont have those leaf problems here in my part of the world though. Such a piece of equipment just for leaves and stuff. WOW!

Doc Pete
10-23-2003, 08:26 AM
I'd have thought the cops would get on you for having that piping in front and blocking your view while driving. They'd get us for sure in NJ. Looks great though........
Pete

walker-talker
10-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Mickhippy
Man, thats a cool set-up! Makes me so happy we dont have those leaf problems here in my part of the world though. Such a piece of equipment just for leaves and stuff. WOW!

You have to understand that leaves are not a problem....this is a high revenue service.....$60-$70 an hour for most.

JLC, how do you disconnect the tupe when you go to dump and also, how is it connected to the bed....with fasteners or clips?

What did you use for the discharge tube....stove pipe?

Really looks like a professional set-up...including the sign!!!

I am going with this method, rather than mounting the leaf loader on the deck and would really like to see some pics.

Thanks
MATT

TLS
10-23-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
I'd have thought the cops would get on you for having that piping in front and blocking your view while driving. They'd get us for sure in NJ. Looks great though........
Pete

Pete,

This was discussed before. Its NON permanent work equipment. There are literally tons of vehicles out there with MORE visibility blocking aparatus.

BUT.........IF the Donut munchers DO give you a problem, just give them a demo of how it works. See if that 278lb'er will fit through an 18" hose!

Remsen1
10-23-2003, 12:29 PM
where are you dumping the leaf mulch and what do you do with it after it is dumped? Just curious, cause by the location of where it is being dumped it leads me to believe that you have future plans for the stuff.

Doc Pete
10-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by TLS
Pete,

This was discussed before. Its NON permanent work equipment. There are literally tons of vehicles out there with MORE visibility blocking aparatus.

BUT.........IF the Donut munchers DO give you a problem, just give them a demo of how it works. See if that 278lb'er will fit through an 18" hose!

I figured something like that;)

gogetter
10-23-2003, 04:56 PM
Hey, where's the back door?!

Great set up, clean, professional. I like the signs too.

walker-talker
10-23-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by gogetter
Hey, where's the back door? Yeah....I was thinking the same thing...lol

Krois Landscaping
10-23-2003, 07:09 PM
JLC-

How many horse is your leaf vac? Your setup looks nice. I just did my final mowings today. Lots of leaves, but don't have a use for a leaf vac as the town picks up leaves at all my customers houses. In my town, if your property is under a certain size, the town picks up the leaves.

JLC
10-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Let me try and answer some questions.

The vac is a 23 horse Billy Goat. It has no trouble with anything that has been through the Hustler. It will suck wet grass, although it is slower than just leaves. The wet grass doesn't feed real nice, but still cleans up quicker than you could shovel it in the back. For dry leaves it just hogs them about as quick as you can move the nozzle. It has never cloged yet, and it's sucked about the nastiest stuff we'll run through it.

We used water main pipe with a flange for the tranfer tube. It is flanged with a gasket on one end. It is 8" id. It never comes off the truck to dump. On the vaccum end in is secured over the pipe with a thumb screw and on the box end it is supported by a craddle the rises up from the frame of the truck between the headache rack and the cab. The mount is bolted to the truck for the support and the support and craddle remove by loosening two jamb bolts when leaf season is over. The tube itself is barely in the box and sealed with a rubber gasket. When we dump we loosen the thumbscrew on the vac end and slide the tube farther onto the Billy Goat Discharge and retighten the thumbscrew. This pulls the tube out of the box enough to allow the box to clear the tube when raised. It works slick. We can be dumped in less than 5 minutes without taking anything off the truck.

We dump the truck at a local green waste facility for a nominal charge. I have no use or facility to handle the waste.

Here's a pick of the back door.

JLC
10-23-2003, 09:07 PM
Another picture of the door.

pap4464
10-23-2003, 09:10 PM
JLC,
That is one impressive set-up! Just curious what are the dimensions of the box. It looks to be 8' long by 8' high. Nice signage as well!

JLC
10-23-2003, 09:21 PM
I believe the box is about 9 ft long x 92" wide x 6 ft high. Measured in the amount of Super Z dumps it will hold we can get just a touch over 40 dumps. Hustler rates their BacVac at 9 bushel capacity, so in theory it would hold over 360 bushel. Realistically it gets pulverized further going through the Billy Goat so I cant say with certainty it truly holds 360 bushel, but it does hold plenty.

Here is a pick of the thumbscrew. It's a little grainy, but it's all I've got.

JLC
10-23-2003, 09:23 PM
Here's a picture of the cradle and mount that fits between the headache rack and the cab. It will be painted black eventually. the rod with the craddle end removes when we are not in leaf cleanup mode.

Envy Lawn Service
10-24-2003, 01:41 AM
....And where might I find that Black Beauty parked on a dark night???
:D J/K
All I can say is awsome....very impressive setup. Looks sharp and it's super funtional as well.

I would also be interested in a closer look at that trailer you are towing.

Team Gopher
10-24-2003, 03:56 AM
Great pics JLC! Thanks for posting them :)

BSDeality
10-24-2003, 02:23 PM
someone hand me a paper towel, i need to wipe the drool off my desk and keyboard.

that's a great setup JLC. hope everything works out well with it.

b & t lawn care
10-24-2003, 08:24 PM
JLC
How does your suction tube secure in the front of the truck when you are driving down the road? I see a cradle and a thing on the drivers side too. I take it that somehow is involved in holding the tube. What a dream set-up. You are one very lucky dude!!

JLC
10-24-2003, 08:54 PM
The suction hose it attached to the factory Billy Goat plate. We mounted it at an angle to keep the hose about straight. There is also a support/craddle in the center of the hose to keep it from drooping down too far. It rotates 90 degrees out of the way when in use so we don't walk into it and wreck our shins.

Thanks for the compliments guys. This is our solution to 2 years of misery with a box on the front of our trailer that we'd load into with scoop shovels. We've had almost three years to think and plan how to make the system work better. It does work good.

Expert Lawns
10-24-2003, 09:23 PM
That is nothing compared to my 3 bushel bagger. holds 10 CUBIC FEET!!

JLC
11-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Stumbled upon these old pics... Had to laugh at how clean and new everything looked back then. All is still in service, just not as pretty. Bump for all the leaf box talk going on lately...

STIHL GUY
11-18-2009, 10:32 PM
wow looks like that gets the job done

G.M.Landscaping
11-18-2009, 10:57 PM
I was wondering why a bunch of people that haven't posted in a long time were posting again until I looked at the date.

Good bump for a great setup.

Donald A
11-19-2009, 10:19 AM
OP, after using for years,If you were to start all over again would you change the design in any way.

JLC
11-19-2009, 10:55 AM
OP, after using for years,If you were to start all over again would you change the design in any way.

Functionally it works as well as it did when we originally set it up. A couple of things that I'd change...

-We wish the box was lighter to assemble on the truck. It works fine, but it breaks down into panels and they are still a little heavy. Nothing we can't handle, but heavy. Having a roll off body would be nice, but this works.

-We shortened the tube going into the box from the vac so we don't have to slide it out every time we dump. We thought it might make a mess having the 1" gap between the tube and box, but it hasn't been a problem. The side benefit is that you can visually see when the box is full before we plug the tube.

-We added a little more vent area on the top of the box, not sure it was needed, but we did it anyway.

-Sometime we wish that the box had more capacity. We dump the truck at least twice a day. The other side of that is that the leaf season only lasts for so long, we can deal with it.

-Super Z is no longer used for daily production. It is a cleanup machine only now and has been a workhorse for them. I wish the spindle driven blower was a little more robust. It keeps getting welded up and rewelded as parts and pieces break and wear out. I'll be welding up a stress crack later this morning on it. The clamshell bagger doesn't seal up like it used to, but it still functions and gets the job done. Probably time to overhaul it this winter. Also will probably weld the peg the blower sits on to the deck. The two bolt that Hustler mounts it with just haven't cut it.

All I can think of for now, but the whole system really hasn't changed in all the years. That's saying something, as I'm always in pursuit of a better way to do our work.

walker-talker
11-19-2009, 10:58 AM
I had a setup just like his...with the leaf loader mounted to the front of the truck and loved it. Later bought a different truck and had to mount the LL to the back of the truck. Man, I really miss have the loader in the front....four big advantages to having the loader mounted to the front:
1) Easier to navigate the truck to the piles...not guessing when the loader is near the pile.
2)No need to take off loader when dumping.
3)No need to take off the intake hose in between jobs. My intake hose just wrapped around to the front of the truck grill and held in place with bungee cord.
4)Because the leaves loaded up in the back of the truck, it was easier to dump partial loads.

ADVANCEDOHIO
11-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Very nice!!!

ALC-GregH
11-19-2009, 11:08 AM
That's a nice setup. How large of a property can you do with say 30 trees on a 1 acre lot flower beds rapped around the home with a in ground swimming pool fenced in around back? Can you get them all in one stop? How long does it take to get them cleaned up? Just curious. I did a 2 acre property that the house sits on a hill. The only flat area is on the left side and back. The whole front area and other side is on a hill. I counted 40+ large 25"+ diameter trees and a about 30 smaller 6-12" diameter trees. It took 2 trips using a 6.5ft bed and 6x12ft trailer with 4ft sides on both and one more to finish with the truck bed full. 12hrs total by myself.

deereequipment
11-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Does the blower on the front obstruct your view.
What would DOT say about that?

Mine is mounted on the tongue of one of our trailers, and blows into the back of our stake body.
This way, I can still use the trailer to haul equipment, and I can unhook and dump out the stake body contents.

lotsagrass
11-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Another

Man I'd love to have that in my compost pile! Bring it over - dump it :)

Wesley's Lawn
11-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Well if the DOT or police give you a hard time about the visibility, they better go get all the vacuum trucks and bucket trucks off the road like these too. :rolleyes:

brucec32
12-06-2009, 02:02 AM
This is a high quality, high volume production setup for carrying leaves away from a property. The fact is, it involves a major commitment in cost and time (both setting this rig up and visiting your local dump frequently) and if you go this route you had better be serious about leaf REMOVAL and be willing to go out and find customers to keep it busy. You have got to be a big enough operation to justify the cost and be in a market where it is customary to suck up and haul off leaves for the relatively high cost involved. Here maybe 10% of accounts would ever need this type of service. There just aren't that many homes with heavy tree canopies, and of those that have them many are on heavily wooded lots where you can just blow them into the natural areas where there are already tons of leaves. (maybe run over them first so they dont' blow back in).

This is a leaf CLEANUP machine, not a tool for routine visits every 2 weeks while leaf falls are light.