PDA

View Full Version : Scag blade nightmare

A1 Lawn@Landscapes
10-23-2003, 08:30 AM
I bought a used scag 48" walk behind and I cannot change the blades to save my life. I have even used a breaker bar with a pipe over it and everything turns except for the blade. Is it a reverse thread ? Any hints or help ? My blades are duller than cspan right now. Thanks

ProMo
10-23-2003, 08:34 AM
I had one like that years ago before i bought my compressor took it to a tire store down the road and they used an impact

TRex
10-23-2003, 09:39 AM
Check right behind the blade for a place to put 1" wrench to hold the spindle while you turn the blade bolt. I am not sure about scag but that is how exmarks are. Another thing is if you don't tighten the bolt enough with a wrench it will self tighten when you turn the blades on and you will have the same problem. Check on the back side of the blade for the place to put the wrench before you take it to a shop so you don't feel silly.

crawdad
10-23-2003, 09:56 AM
What do you mean, "everything turns except for the blade"? Do you have wrenches on the top and the bottom of the spindle bolts? Or are you blocking the blade, and trying to turn the bottom, like a small mower would be changed? That's what it sounds like you are doing.
I put a wrench on the bottom, a ratchet on the top, remove the nut on top, and the bolt drops down.
Crawdad

TLS
10-23-2003, 11:45 AM
Soak with penetrating oil (bottom and top) for a few days.

Get TWO 15/16" box wrenches, the long type.

Back mower 1/2 way down the trailer gate, and raise the deckup.

One on top, one on bottom.

LOTS of STEADY arm horsepower!

Or, try an impact.

Most likely the last person cranked them so tight that the bolt and nut seized. The metal they're using today (actually the irridated coating) can be quite soft, and with those BIG coarse threads, have lots of area to seize.

Good Luck

Jimbo
10-23-2003, 11:59 AM
Doesnt make sense that everything turned but the blade. Thats what should happen???

How much bolt is sticking through the nut on top?? It should be only a few threads. If its more someone might have not used the blade spacers and has the nut jammed too far onto the blade bolt. An impact and penetrating oil would be your best bet.

Jimbo

mower_babe
10-23-2003, 03:25 PM
RIGHTY tighty, LEFTY loosey. ;)

I am sorry, that wasnt very nice. hint: we use an impact to put on and off. hope it helps. good luck.

Rustic Goat
10-24-2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by A1 Lawn@Landscapes
everything turns except for the blade. Is it a reverse thread ?
Something is not right with this picture/description.:confused:
Nut/bolt are NOT reverse/left hand threaded.

Sorry, gotta, ask. Are you positive you're loosening in the correct direction, didn't get mixed up working from the bottom did you?

CSRA Landscaping
10-24-2003, 10:55 AM
Hehe ... I doubt a used scag wb would be reverse threaded BUT ... the new cougars are. ;)

PetalsandPines
10-24-2003, 11:46 PM
I guarantee that your spindle bolt is bent......Whenever i hit something with my scag blades and a bolt is bent, it is nearly impossible to get the nut off....the other day, I had to dremel / cut off disc / the nut off my turf tiger

Outback Designz
12-27-2003, 08:11 AM
I agree with mower babe. Use an impact, much safer and easier. That way you do not have to use a wrench on top bolt. Just put impact on bottom and it should break free. Good luck.

dishboy
12-27-2003, 08:21 AM
Use the impact gun on the nut , not the bolt.

crawdad
12-27-2003, 08:47 AM
A-1, have you got those blades off yet? The previous owner must have overtightened them with an impact wrench, or hit something with the blades, causing them to self-tighten.
Crawdad

Outback Designz
12-27-2003, 08:59 AM
:p , yes what dish boy said. My fault.:D

BOTURF
12-27-2003, 09:15 AM
iam with petals and pines , when i do make the mistake of hitting something it tightens blade up so much i must use a breaker bar with a pipe at least 3 feet long and another person helping pull on it plus another person holding mower steady .It almost always means the spindle bolt is bent a little or blade is bent . You could also take it to dealer and have themn loosen it. Mine doesnt think a thing about this and if yours is any count he wont either

Sauls1686
12-27-2003, 10:48 AM
i couldnt get mine off by hand either. I got my dad an impact wrench for Christmas so i guess i won't have any trouble this season :D

WLM
12-27-2003, 11:16 AM
Mine have done the same thing several times, heat the nut not the bolt trying not heat up the spindle, then once it is heated enough, get a impact wrench and let her have it.

A1 Lawn@Landscapes
12-27-2003, 11:17 AM
I had forgotten about this thread.......... I had 2 problems........

1) My only other mowers were 2 21" ers and a JD gs30 which has a 36" deck. The spindles on the Jd has no nut on top, so I began just turning the whole thing with no results.

2) From a number of posts above, I learnt that I needed to hold the nut on top as well. I tried first with 2 breaker bars with no luck. I trien an impact wrench to no avail. I eben took it to an auto garage that I am friends with the owner and had him try his impacts again with no results. I got so pi**ed off that I took out the enforcer ( torch ) and treid to heat it up to then take it off. Again no luck. I then torched off the nut, Used a punch to get the bolt out, and bought a new bolt,nut washer setup. I also bought a jar of never seize to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks all for your help. :)

Jimbo
12-29-2003, 12:57 PM
Wow thats tight!