PDA

View Full Version : Startup business in 2004 - how to price jobs

mdemarco
10-23-2003, 10:28 AM
I would like to start a lawn care business in 2004 and am not sure about pricing jobs. Is it better to quote one price for a job ($40 to cut a lawn) or to go with an hourly rate? What do customers prefer?

twins_lawn_care
10-23-2003, 11:37 AM
you should figure out on your own your hourly operating costs, and quote the customer a solid price. Remember to include everything you will have as an expense, not just how long it takes to mow the lawn. Insurance, vehicles, equipment, licenses, gas, etc.....

Rustic Goat
10-24-2003, 05:11 AM
Like twins said, figure out what your true total overhead/operating costs are going to be. Get a solid figure for what you HAVE to charge to make PROFIT. Not make money, but profit.
Shop your competition, or get family or friend to do so, not just one price, but several, for a variety of property types similar to what you assume you'll have for customer lawns.
Now compare the two, you may be shocked/surprised if you do your overhead figuring correctly.

Randy J
10-24-2003, 09:52 AM
Mdemarco, sometime ago I made an Excell worksheet for tracking my expenses. I figured in loan for the business I was going to buy (may or may not be applicable), depreciation for the equipment, office expenses, maintenance expenses, labor, etc., and divided by the hours I expected to work - all projected of course. This gave me an hourly expense that I needed to meet in order to break even. I could then figure out how long a particular job would take, and use my minimum hourly charge based on my cost worksheet to figure out how much to charge. Obviously you'll miss a few jobs - a little too high or a little too low. A little too high doesn't hurt - unless it keeps you from getting the job. A little too low is a learning experience.
If you have Excell I'd be happy to send you the worksheet, which you could customize to fit your needs.
Good luck with the business.
Randy

mdemarco
10-24-2003, 10:03 AM
Randy J-

I would be interested in seeing that Excel spreadsheet. Thanks. My e-mail address is:
matthew.l.demarco@mail.sprint.com

bucmaster
10-25-2003, 04:07 AM
Could you mail it to me please. I would like to see what you done. Addy is bucmaster2@cox.net Thanks

Warthog Lawn Care
10-26-2003, 10:19 PM
if you could email me a copy of the spreadsheet itd be great dljka@earthlink.net

jrwinter74
10-27-2003, 06:35 PM
I have been in business starting this year too,...I have found that approx. $1.00/minute is a good guage for estimating jobs,....don't tell them though. They will freak out if you tell them you charge $60.00 per hour. Just a thought,...after a while of I have come to realize that with travel time in rural Mississippi this pretty much covers all my expenses. JW

Kransco
10-28-2003, 09:41 PM
I would sure appreciate a copy of that spreadsheet.
Thanks
Kransco@aol.com

lawnGUYnMD
10-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Randy J,

I would like to see that worksheet as well if you dont mind. My email is Brian@brianmudd.com

EIB
10-29-2003, 08:53 PM
I would like to see the worksheet also. My email is ebellis@rochester.rr.com

Thank You

yasarseher
10-30-2003, 01:05 AM
I would like to see the worksheet also. My email yasarseher@hotmail.com

thank you

Johnny
10-30-2003, 01:33 AM
Randy J,

If your still sharing the spreadsheet I would love a copy.

Thank you so much!!

jrapp@insightbb.com

Bama_66
10-30-2003, 08:36 AM
Randy,

I would love to take a look at that spread sheet as well If you still have it.

bama_66@hotmail.com

DPM
10-30-2003, 11:17 AM
Randy,

I would also like to take a look at the spread sheet as well.
twmessier@earthlink.net

Thanks!

Grass King
10-30-2003, 07:29 PM
Randy,

New to the business, I would love to see that work sheet to.

Thanks,
Grass King
rkirklan@caldwellmfgco.com

craigs lawncare
11-02-2003, 08:19 AM
Hi Randy,

I would love a copy as well!
www.ccjschray@core.com
Thanks!
Craig:)

TDiDi
11-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Randy,
If your willing to share, can you just post it here so we can all access it? it would save you a lot of time.

Glynn
11-04-2003, 04:46 PM
Might as well ask too! If you don't mind I would love a copy of that spread sheet.

bglynnwilson@hotmail.com

Thanks

Branchland
11-06-2003, 12:45 PM
Randy J
I would like a copy of that spread sheet too pleae. Thanks
JMBranch01@aol.com

jnm4
11-06-2003, 05:47 PM
Randy-

Can you forward me a copy of your spread sheet?

mcginnis_joseph@hotmail.com

Thanks
Joey

TeRos
11-09-2003, 09:30 PM
Randy I would like a copy of the worksheet. My e-mail is hccdreda@hotmail.com Thanks TeRos

hustler1
11-11-2003, 11:17 PM
Hey guys...don't use the @ symbol when you post your email address for other members....the spammers have a program that picks it up and you're gonna start getting tons of junk email. use the word "at" between your name and email provider....we can figure it out but the spammers software cannot. Just a word up on it from experience...

dirt biker 54
11-12-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by mdemarco
I would like to start a lawn care business in 2004 and am not sure about pricing jobs. Is it better to quote one price for a job ($40 to cut a lawn) or to go with an hourly rate? What do customers prefer? Dont go with a hourly rate because time is money$$$ if u get a 36'' u could do a lawn in 10 mi. you will make no money if u go with a hourly rate time is money$$$ when you give them a price think on how long it will take you and how big the yard is and if they want it baged or not. Then you can give the price but time is money $$$ But do a good job because thats what will make you beter business then others.

Tim

KyleLatham
11-21-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Randy J
Mdemarco, sometime ago I made an Excell worksheet for tracking my expenses. I figured in loan for the business I was going to buy (may or may not be applicable), depreciation for the equipment, office expenses, maintenance expenses, labor, etc., and divided by the hours I expected to work - all projected of course. This gave me an hourly expense that I needed to meet in order to break even. I could then figure out how long a particular job would take, and use my minimum hourly charge based on my cost worksheet to figure out how much to charge. Obviously you'll miss a few jobs - a little too high or a little too low. A little too high doesn't hurt - unless it keeps you from getting the job. A little too low is a learning experience.
If you have Excell I'd be happy to send you the worksheet, which you could customize to fit your needs.
Good luck with the business.
Randy

I would be interested in seeing that Excel spreadsheet. Thanks. My e-mail address is: KyleLatham@ev1.net

J Hisch
11-23-2003, 11:42 PM
Everyone requesting spreadsheet. Look at the site forums, templates for your business.

scott59
09-02-2009, 12:51 AM
may i take a look at your excel spread sheet,,,im also new to this and just getting started.my email is scottparmer59@yahoo.com..........thank you very much

ohiogreenworks
09-02-2009, 04:58 PM
wow talk about bringing back a dead thread!!! Sorry kind of had to....good luck getting the spreadsheet!! :)

Gregg1987
09-02-2009, 05:37 PM
just making an observation but.

1) the thread looks years old <,< so lol yeah random dig up XD

2) the person who mentioned they made a spread sheet has not logged on since 2007 (last activity)

so just an FYI this may not work...

however that does not mean someone else does not have it.

GL !

AkRowdyA78
09-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Randy I would also Like a spread sheet... whitestripes2654 at yahoo.com Thanks Andy

deitleman
09-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Hi- I'd appreciate getting that spread sheet too, if someone could forward it. Thanks

doneitleman@hotmail.com

THC
09-09-2009, 07:24 PM
wow talk about bringing back a dead thread!!! Sorry kind of had to....good luck getting the spreadsheet!! :)

Maybe they got office 2000:laugh: