PDA

View Full Version : Check your balls!!

walker-talker
10-23-2003, 07:08 PM
I don't take my trailer off but once a month....well anyway....did it today and noticed that the nut was only on by one thread....pretty scary.....damn scary. Just trying to pass on a word of advice.

MATT

KenH
10-23-2003, 07:26 PM
Good advice. Did you notice the trailer riding differently before the fix??? It would seem like there would be a bit of play in the loose ball.

bob
10-23-2003, 07:27 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=4233&highlight=ball

hortboy
10-23-2003, 07:29 PM
generally once the ball is attached to the hitch , I take a hammer to the threads, bugger them up good and you'll never have the problem.

Also make sure your trailer tongue and ball is well lubricated , less friction will also prevent the problem

Tvov
10-23-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by hortboy
generally once the ball is attached to the hitch , I take a hammer to the threads, bugger them up good and you'll never have the problem.

That's fine if you only tow trailers with one size ball. We switch trailers around every so often, so we end up checking the whole hitch setup out of habit. And me telling my guys to!

walker-talker
10-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by KenH
Good advice. Did you notice the trailer riding differently before the fix??? It would seem like there would be a bit of play in the loose ball.

Never noticed any difference.

I have greased the ball a couple times this year.

Tvov, I don't switch balls for different trailers, but you could always get youself another hitch with the different size ball on it....unless you are not using a receiver and have the ball attatched to the bumper.

MATT

Expert Lawns
10-23-2003, 07:58 PM
you said balls

Runner
10-23-2003, 08:00 PM
While we're at it, everyone should check their couplings, too. They have a tendency to get tiny little cracks in them that are hardly even visible before they go bad. Incidentally, has anyone ever re-drilled their equalizer tube, so there is a fresh hole for the pin? Mine is just a little bit elongated.

GreenQuest Lawn
10-23-2003, 08:16 PM
So we are supposed to grease our balls????:( :confused:

proenterprises
10-23-2003, 08:17 PM
good one expert:dizzy:

walker-talker
10-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by GreenQuest Lawn
So we are supposed to grease our balls????:( :confused:

Unless they are extremely sticky....then I would suggest a light coat of baby powder....lol:D

MATT

heybruck34
10-23-2003, 08:38 PM
Expert that was a good one. Not many posts make me laugh out loud but that one did.

hehehehehehehehheheh Beavis..... cool cool...

turfmaster90
10-23-2003, 09:03 PM
I checked mine........They are there........... Now what do I do??????

Shuter
10-23-2003, 09:03 PM
At one time I found my ball loose before it fell off, so now I check my balls to make sure they are tight. I don't want to lose my trailer by something stupid like the ball falling off.

Shuter
10-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Also to keep the rust down and make sure everything is smooth, don't forget to grease your balls from time to time.

troblandscape
10-23-2003, 09:10 PM
My girlfriend takes care of the companies balls.

Shuter
10-23-2003, 09:12 PM
My wife only runs the office, I'll have to work on that job title.

Randy Scott
10-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by troblandscape
My girlfriend takes care of the companies balls.

Umm, how many employees do you have? And, are you hiring?
:)

Just kidding!

r.eckley
10-23-2003, 09:52 PM
I drill a hole at the end of bolt & put a cotter pin thru it. Not hard to drill with a drill press. Just a little more safety. The nut might
loosen up but wont come off.

sniggly
10-23-2003, 10:18 PM
The puns are flying off the 'virtual' walls here........I love it.

Tomt
10-23-2003, 10:30 PM
Red Loctite!

MikeLT1Z28
10-23-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by ffshuter
make sure everything is smooth

isn't that what razors are for??!! :confused: :D

Ryan Lightning
10-24-2003, 02:28 AM
The guys with no trailers, have no balls.

Movinfr8
10-24-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by walker-talker
Unless they are extremely sticky....then I would suggest a light coat of baby powder....lol:D

MATT
try Gold Bond! It's MEDICATED, great for hot weather!!

As mentioned in the other thread, a little powder keeps the tongue from sticking to your ball.
Also, am i the only one who uses a converta ball? that way I can have 2, or even 3 different size balls!!! with only 1 shaft!
here's a link.

http://www.convert-a-ball.com/

Mark
10-24-2003, 02:42 AM
:) Took my words of wisdom, I always drill and put a pin in the hitch, i started doing this along time ago when fishing alot of bass tournments and some of the stories i heard abut guys loosing there boats.....Alot of good humor in this post....Marks Mowing Service

mtdman
10-24-2003, 02:50 AM
Anyone ever regularly paint the frame of the hitch itself? Mine is kinda rusty, been thinking about painting the thing. It's pretty thick metal, but rust is rust. Also, I can't get my hitch off if I wanted. It's pretty much stuck to the frame. Yikes!

Shuter
10-24-2003, 08:28 AM
I also have the converta-ball for different size balls. It is nice to have a choice with what size ball you want to use. I mean depending on the trailer for the day.

gramps
10-24-2003, 12:04 PM
This business takes balls

mower_babe
10-24-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by mtdmaster
I can't get my hitch off if I wanted.

don't they have a little blue pill for that now?:confused: :blob3:

Expert Lawns
10-24-2003, 01:47 PM
dude, i have never laughed so hard at a thread in my life. my girlfriend just yelled from the other room telling me to keep it down. then she came in here and i read them to her, she laughed just as hard.

Balls.

BSDeality
10-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by hortboy
... I take a hammer to the threads, bugger them up good and you'll never have the problem.
instead of making it nearly impossible to swap out the ball, why don't you just buy another nut and butt them together? double nut it, and it'll never come loose on you again.

gramps
10-24-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by BSDeality
instead of making it nearly impossible to swap out the ball, why don't you just buy another nut and butt them together? double nut it, and it'll never come loose on you again.
How would you get your balls off then?:dizzy:

Gtotoy
10-24-2003, 04:29 PM
~~Too Funny~~

walker-talker
10-24-2003, 04:42 PM
My balls can be so stubborn.....the last hitch I had to take a plasma cutter to get them off.....I mean it off.

Expert Lawns
10-24-2003, 09:11 PM
This thread really cheered me up after a long annoying day. Thanks to our pervertedness, I mean anatomic references, we can all laugh.

Black Water
10-25-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Randy Scott
Umm, how many employees do you have? And, are you hiring?

Just kidding!

:laugh::cry: :laugh::cry: :laugh:

mower_babe
10-27-2003, 06:52 PM
by far one of the funniest threads ever

bayoulawn
10-27-2003, 06:55 PM
the bigger your balls are the more grease you need

Black Water
10-27-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Movinfr8
try Gold Bond! It's MEDICATED, great for hot weather!!

As mentioned in the other thread, a little powder keeps the tongue from sticking to your ball.
Also, am i the only one who uses a converta ball? that way I can have 2, or even 3 different size balls!!! with only 1 shaft!
here's a link.

http://www.convert-a-ball.com/

All jokes aside. Do not apply Gold Bond powder down there!!!!

It buuuuuuuuuuuuurns reeeeeaaaaaaal bad!!!!!!!!!!:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Green in Idaho
10-27-2003, 07:33 PM
I have three balls.

One is 2 5/16"
One is 2"
One is 1 7/8"

And I prefer to have a mount for each ball. It's easier to pull out the mount and insert a new one into the hitch receiver when changing trailers or pulling a friends trailer.

Having different mounts also help to compensate for different heights of the tongue. That is really helpful if you pull a friends trailer and her tongue sits lower than yours. Then the towing angle can be maintained properly.

I also like to put rubber things on them to protect them.

Sometimes when not towing I make them look like little animals.

AND I'm still on topic!

craglawnmanor
10-27-2003, 07:49 PM
I have three balls also......but they're all on one hitch. Does that make me different than everyone else?? Or just an overachiever?

howiehowie
10-27-2003, 08:13 PM
I heard that up North the guys gotta put salt on their balls to keep em from freezing.:D

Expert Lawns
10-27-2003, 08:16 PM
BlackWater - goldbond actually tickles, it doesn't burn. the medicated burns.

this reminds me of the song chef sings on south park........chocolate salty ----- you know the rest.

pinnacle
10-27-2003, 11:40 PM
I thought this post was going to be on "Testicular Cancer" or somthing.

I was thinking before I read it that walkertalker had some sota issue with the boys and was warning us to keep an eye out for any lumps and bumps.
:D :D :D :D

Last thing ya want is probs with the jewels!

kppurn
10-27-2003, 11:42 PM
I greased my ball today. Yep, that's right, I only have one ball. :(
Reading this thread reminded me that I haven't greased my ball since earlier this season. I guess sometimes when you get busy your balls get neglected. You have to keep friction down and prevent rust though.

little green guy
10-28-2003, 03:49 AM
Does anybody have a sac that they keep thier balls in when they are not using them?

How would you get your balls off then?

probly either have to break your balls or use a nut cracker.

Expert Lawns
10-28-2003, 09:54 AM
wonder how the females are reacting to this one. C'mon, lend us a HAND here. Our balls have a problem. Do you have a solution?

LawnPerfect
10-28-2003, 10:09 AM
i keep a bulldog clamped around my ball. my ball makes me money so i have to protect it. i take the bulldog off about once a week so i can lube the ball. after putting it back on, the bulldog just slides all over the ball and never makes a sound.

walker-talker
10-28-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by pinnacle
I was thinking before I read it that walkertalker had some sota issue with the boys and was warning us to keep an eye out for any lumps and bumps.

Nope.....just that I would take a serious issue and mix a little humor with it. Everyone responded just as I thought they would.....lol:)

MATT

Albemarle Lawn
10-28-2003, 12:24 PM
They are still there.

Nuts tight too.

I'll be sure to inspect my balls more often.

Couple guys on lawnsite give free, periodic ball exams. Ask around or just post an R.F.B. "Request for Ball inspection.
The ball inspectors will be the first to reply.

:dizzy:

MandT Lawn Care
10-28-2003, 12:44 PM
Get an extra nut the same size, after your sure the first nut is on tight put the second one right on top of it and make sure that is on tight you'll never have that problem again,and if you do need to take the ball off you can.:blob2:

pinnacle
10-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Using a LOT of lock-tight on the thread would solve the problam too.

I use lock-tight on so many things..................Great stuff!!

"Nope.....just that I would take a serious issue and mix a little humor with it."
walker-talker.........Dam good job you've done too!.........Great post mate............This one really makes me laugh.

I am Me
10-28-2003, 05:42 PM
whoa, had to edit this one out! please, keep on topic... :confused:

Albemarle Lawn
10-28-2003, 07:03 PM
Ball inspectors would reply...

:blob3:

I am Me
10-28-2003, 08:34 PM
got carried away with the 'artistic freedom'.

Abermarle, you replied. What does that insinuate?

Is there a back log on your calendar for inspections?

Henry
10-28-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Green in Idaho

Having different mounts also help to compensate for different heights of the tongue. That is really helpful if you pull a friends trailer and her tongue sits lower than yours. Then the towing angle can be maintained properly.

One of my balls has always been lower than the other. Now I know why.

gramps
11-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by howiehowie
I heard that up North the guys gotta put salt on their balls to keep em from freezing.:D
No salt would be corrosive. Warm breath will keep them from freezing:eek:

the scaper
11-02-2003, 04:11 PM
only a nut would do that:rolleyes: