PDA

View Full Version : made blowout baffle for 36" exmark.


locutus
10-23-2003, 07:47 PM
I dont have a digital camera yet, so I'll try to be descriptive as possible. I had read quite a few posts concerning this and it ranged from installing carpet to garden edging on the front of the deck for a solution. I didnt want to drill any holes on the leading edge of my deck so I began to think if was anything else I could do. I viewed a post by TLC I think and it showed the anti-blowout baffle that exmark offers for their larger mowers. It occured to me that what was causing the blowout is the fact that the factory welded in baffles in the tri-vantage deck are about an inch and a half higher at the front of the deck as opposed to the sides and back. The air pressure created by the blades is seeking the path of least resistance, which happens to be at the front of the deck where the baffles are highest. The solution is to make the baffles almost the same depth all the way around. I accomplished this ironically with garden edging of a different sort. It is the flexable green metal edging available at Lowes home improvement centers. It is perfect as far as width and only needs to be cut to length. I was able to fabricate this baffle in one piece. First I cut it to length with a sawsall. I should also mention that I bought a curved piece of this edging as it approximated the existing baffle curves. I then had to put a bend in it to accomodate the baffle on the discharge side. It was easily done by hand while holding it down at the area to be bent with a straight edge. I slid it into position in the space between the outside of the existing baffle and the leading edge of the deck, making sure that it was slightly higher that the leading edge of the deck. I think that installing the baffle in this manner will help keep it from comming in contact with protruding obsticles in the lawn. I then drilled three holes in the existing baffles and installed it. If I were seeing it for the first time I would think it was a factory accessory. It turned out looking pretty good. I havent put it to the test yet, but there is plenty of wiggle room to move it either up or down. I hope I havent left anything out and appologize again for not being able to post pics. I will try to respond to all replies to this post. Hope this helps some of you.