PDA

View Full Version : 16 HP Vanguard engine problems

rob1325
10-23-2003, 09:03 PM
I have a 16 HP Vanguard on my blower and it is running bad. It only stays on when I put choke on then once get it going and turn choke off it shuts off. It does this when cold or warm. So I changed fuel filter, changed air cleaner, & plugs. I then cleaned out upper part of Carb., soaked up fuel in carb & cleaned, and sprayed out jets. But it still runs the same, only with choke on and shuts off once choke is off. The machine has spark and in spring was working great and was working great for first hour today. Also I did put fresh gas in today before starting. Should I take apart lower part of carb with intakes and clean those out? If anyone can help as to what the problem may be I would really appreciated it.

Thanks
Rob

Sherminator
10-23-2003, 09:47 PM
You need to adjust the fuel/air screw. Since it's stalling without the choke, but running ok with the choke on, it simply needs more fuel in the mixture. You owner's manual should tell you how to make the adjustment. Hope this helps.

rob1325
10-23-2003, 10:02 PM
There is only one mixture screw and I did adjust it but no luck. Im still thumped.

hustlers
10-23-2003, 10:46 PM
just got my 16 p billy goat motor back
after losing 2 weeks of fall leaf work.

Both push rods were out
fuel pump junk
valves and guides junk

still under warranty but
they say i have to pay 600$$$$

Im pissed cause its been running bad
for a while and has that choke problem
sometimes

rob1325
10-23-2003, 10:51 PM
I hear ya Hustlers, hate the down time. I do have three others and they run good. This is my first problem with them, which I'm starting to give up on.

ducky1
10-23-2003, 11:05 PM
fuel pump meybe?

Envy Lawn Service
10-24-2003, 12:19 AM
Hey, How new is the engine? If there is only one screw, I bet that's only the low idle speed adjustment.

Now, does it kill at any RPM? (low-mid-high)

If it does, look at fuel supply. Start where the fuel line connects to the carb and go back, checking everything including the tank. Or start at the tank and go the other way.

Look for water, cloggs, trash, fuel lines that look old ect. Sometimes a rubber crumb will come of the lines into the gas and clog things up.

If you don't find anyhting there or find the fuel pump to be bad, you will likely have to go deeper in the carb. It sounds as if the engine is either starving for fuel or getting way too much air. Take a stong look at all the gaskets, any between carb parts and the intake gasket as well. The engine could be sucking air from elsewhere and when you open the choke it's just too much air.

Snap some pictures if possible.

Best of luck and don't give up, these are good engines.

Mark
10-24-2003, 12:21 AM
:) Ive got a 10yr old 16 Vanguard and have never had any problems yet and it still runs great, You might want to check your coil, I repaced one on a Kohler it had the same problem your does, first i replaced the fuel filter, plugs, cleaned carb, and it was that darn coil.......Marks Mowing Service

tiedeman
10-24-2003, 12:47 AM
check your air filter

rob1325
10-24-2003, 06:11 PM
Well Envy Lawn Service was right about not enough fuel. I took apart lower part of Carb, which took forever to get to, and took out the electric solonoid gas cutoff switch and then the jet it goes into. Well that was semi cloged and I cleaned it out and works fine now. Would like to thank everyone for helping.

Thanks Again,
Rob

ksland
10-24-2003, 06:18 PM
Clogged main jet would be my guess, let us know what it was.

General Grounds
10-24-2003, 06:58 PM
:blob3: is the fuel cap venting correctly? start the machine with the cap off and see what happens

Envy Lawn Service
10-24-2003, 09:46 PM
Rob,

Glad I could help. Downtime and shop fees suck.

rob1325
10-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Rob,

Glad I could help. Downtime and shop fees suck.

You are right about that & also seem they mess it up more. I never bring equipment in unless it is under warranty. I usually never have problems fixing things.

Thanks again