PDA

View Full Version : Reminder!!!!

Edgewater
10-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Don't take your eyes off your equipment for 1/2 a second.

I came home yesterday and put the trailer in the driveway. Put my trimmers and blower in the garage, left mowers on the trailer while I went in to eat.

When I came back out about 30 minutes later, I had one less commercial toro 21 to change the blade on:angry:

Got lucky, was at dealer to see what I could get to replace it with since there are no more 2 strokes. I guy had called about 20 min earlier and said that he needed some parts for a mower he bought the night before. Turns out the guy woh stole my mower had taken the serial number off and sold it within 3 hours.

Long story short, the guy that had bought it (dealer said that he knows him well and he would not have stolen it) brought it in, and I gave him his $125 and got my mower back. Small price to pay VS the 1700 CAN the new 4 stroke will cost.

Ryan Lightning
10-23-2003, 08:59 PM
I wouldnt have gave the guy his $125 back, if the serial #s were taken off.

lawnman_scott
10-23-2003, 09:26 PM
then maybe that guy wouldnt give you the mower back.

Runner
10-23-2003, 09:36 PM
That's when the police are called. HE is the one holding the stolen property, that's HIS problem he's out the 125. He should just be glad he isn't prosecuted for recieving and concealing stolen prop. under $1000.00. It happens, and it happens all the time. Ignorance is no excuse. It would up to him to find the jerk that sold it to him.

Edgewater
10-23-2003, 11:08 PM
I think that the guy who returned it to me was a stand up guy.

All that crap abput stolen property wouldn't get me anywhere. How do I prove it is mine with no serial no's.

The thief sold it to him saying that he needed cash because his business was in trouble. The guy who brought me the mower back could have just made like he new nothing about it.

I can't belive that you guys would go after the guy who did not steal it in the first place.

mtdman
10-23-2003, 11:20 PM
In the interest of not jinxing myself, I will only say I am always amazed at the number of people who have equipment stolen. That sucks.

tiedeman
10-23-2003, 11:48 PM
I wouldn't have paid him any money at all. It was stolen!!!

mike9497
10-24-2003, 12:21 AM
no serial # well im shocked that your dealer sold the guy parts.gess maybe i should go steal some mowers and scrape the serial # off them.then sell it to someone that will go to the guys dealer looking to get parts.i would of called the police.that guy should know better than to buy equipment with know serial # on it. i hope it happens to you again,but this time you won't get your equipment back.then you will be up SH**S Creek and have to dish out mad money for a new mower.i don't mean to sound like im bashing you.i think you did the wrong thing,but hey thats life and we are all different.

chuckwk
10-24-2003, 12:46 AM
You should have took your equip back and told him to call the cops... I don't think any dealer in any industry should buy equipment with serial numbers removed. Maybe a dealer or two that visits LawnSite.com will chime in on this one.

Rustic Goat
10-24-2003, 03:09 AM
Ever heard of a 'Theft Ring'? Maybe equipment dealer or employee there is part of the midnight equipment supplier association, do you ever really know?:confused: While possible, the timing of all the events in your tale of woe is just way too convenient for all those outside forces to come in to play as you walked into dealer.
People will go to some extreme lengths (and sometimes work harder) to avoid working for an honest dollar.

On the other hand, if someone calls in for parts, they don't talk serial #'s, it's just needing a part for such and such mower. So dealer would never know of missing #.

JMO- Very bad move to have bought back your own equipment.

homerescue
10-24-2003, 08:24 AM
takes a few seconds everytime i need something, but i keep all equipment locked if its on the trailer. got locks that look like big huge u-bolts with a yellow cylinder locking mechinism that uses a round key, also i know they probably could be cut but they are like 1" diameter round plastic coated shaft. got them at lowes about 16.00 dollars a piece. would take alittle while to cut i beleive.