PDA

View Full Version : Changing company name after establishing??

Shuter
10-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Has anyone changed their company name after the company gets established?? My company has " Services " in it. When staring out I kind of did everything for property management before finding a good niche with lawn maintenance and landscape construction. For the last year I have not done any other services, only lawns and landscape. I have been in business for 3 years and the company is doing well. I want to change it to something that includes " ...Lawns & Landscape". Any comments or ideas?? Thanks

troblandscape
10-23-2003, 08:44 PM
good "?" I am in your same boat, I want to get my name out of the company name.

Randy Scott
10-23-2003, 08:44 PM
We went from "Extreme Green Lawncare" to "Extreme Green Lawn & Landscape, LLC" this season (our third year). No big deal with customer recognition, more of a paperwork hassle than anything.

Shuter
10-23-2003, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming.

TreffertLawnWrx
10-23-2003, 10:55 PM
I went from "Treffert Lawn Care" to Treffert Lawn Works" this year. No big trouble, cause everybodys says "Treffert's" anyway. But I didnt want a apostrophy in my graphics. Plus all the outfits around me are "...... lawn care", so I wanted to be different :D

mtdman
10-23-2003, 11:14 PM
I thought of changing my name after my partner left, but after 7 years I didn't want to have to rebuild my name recognition. There is a LCO in a neighboring county that has a very similar name and I'd like to put some space betwix us, but I am leary of changing the name. A word or two probably won't have much effect, as long as your phone # stays the same.

ZX12R
10-23-2003, 11:17 PM
I want to change mine also. How do you do this and what are the costs involved?

Envy Lawn Service
10-23-2003, 11:28 PM
I have been considering doing this as well. I've grown sick of correcting people....

No....not N. V. ...... Envy.... E N V Y

I'm still not sure if I'll do it or not. I hate to give up my name. So I will have to decide prior to Jan 1st 2004.

mtdman
10-23-2003, 11:31 PM
I think the best way is to run 2 businesses with the old name and new name, with the same number. Gradually phase out the old name, bring on the new name. That way old and new customers will know who you are. If I change mine, I would do it that way.

sildoc
10-24-2003, 12:30 AM
I changed my name this year. Completly different. I used both signs for the first half of the year. After everyone figured out we were all in the same they stuck with the most recent one. I do still get checks with my previous name on it but that is no biggie since it is still registered to me and the bank knows both names.
good luck some what of a expensive change though. Legal stuff, new cards, tshirts, truck signs, trailer signs, and so on.

mtdman
10-24-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by sildoc
I changed my name this year. Completly different. I used both signs for the first half of the year. After everyone figured out we were all in the same they stuck with the most recent one. I do still get checks with my previous name on it but that is no biggie since it is still registered to me and the bank knows both names.
good luck some what of a expensive change though. Legal stuff, new cards, tshirts, truck signs, trailer signs, and so on.

What were the old and new names?

Boycea
10-24-2003, 01:00 AM
I am doing what sildoc described. People will eventually catch on and it wont be a big deal. It does cost quite a bit of money to do so though. Good Luck.

Let it Grow
10-24-2003, 01:19 AM
What is your name now, and what is your new name.

I will be changing mine from "Clean Cut Lawn Care" to "Clean Cut Lawn & Landscape". I think it will actually help my business. It shows I am expanding. And it will still have "Clean Cut" in it so people still know that it's me.

tiedeman
10-24-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by sildoc

see here once you close down your business checking "under that name," you can no longer cash those checks made out to the business even if the bank knows you. That happened to me a long, long time ago. Pain in the a@@

Runner
10-24-2003, 10:46 PM
We phased into our name from another name. I had the name of Joseph Landscaping & Grounds Maintenance for 18 years, when I started Ground Control. What Ground Control was, was a subsidiary of Joseph Landscaping & Grounds Maintenenace, and it handled the Lawn Care aspect of the business. Now, when I say the Lawn Care aspect, I mean that in the text term, which technically means Fertilizer and Chemical end of the industry. Many people get these mixed up, and call their businesses lawn CARE, when in fact, that really isn't what they are doing in the technical term. If you are doing mowing, shrubs, etc., you are farther off ahead to use terms like grounds maintenance, or landscape maintenance or management. Anyway, as I used both names for some time, I opted just to consolidate them both into one, chosing the "Ground Control" as the dominant. I have wanted this name for several years now, (I mean SEVERAL years) and was always hesitant on making the switch, as it can always have a tendency to make people react like. "Uh Oh!", however that wasn't really the case, here, and the transition went rather smoothly. Now, I have a name that is getting out there and having alot of exposure. It is much simpler to remember, and Lord knows, easier to write on checks. They don't have to write or remember the entire name of the biz (shown below), just Ground Control. Sure, we get alot of comments, and everyone thinks they have to do their rendition of the David Bowie song, as if they are informing me for my first time that that song exists.:rolleyes: (I'm sure Matt and Jodi can relate to this, as I bet THEY have heard someone do it once or twice,:D

GardenTech
10-24-2003, 11:36 PM
The only problem I had a few years ago changing from my personal name to a business name was that no matter how many times you expain it to a customer, highlite it on invoices, rant and rave, someone will ALWAYS write the check out to the wrong name; I still maintain 2 biz bank accounts...

Some you win, the rest you lose...

sildoc
10-25-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
see here once you close down your business checking "under that name," you can no longer cash those checks made out to the business even if the bank knows you. That happened to me a long, long time ago. Pain in the a@@

"What were the old and new names?"

Name was Silani's Lawn Care
New Name is Crater Landscape Management.

I do no landscaping only management of preexisting landscaping (other than replacing dead plants/trees/bushes and planting flowers).

As for checking or business banking I have accounts for both businesses. I will keep the other business current until I am able to get every one on the same page and get my new name in the phone book. Need that name to number recognition sometimes.
I do admit it is a pain sometimes to keep things straight but the name change is well worth it. I hated getting phone calls on my home phone because they looked it up in the white pages. (especially when my kids answered a business call on our home phone.)

Let it Grow
10-25-2003, 09:24 PM
Have you already changed your name?
I think "Crater Lake Landscaping" sounds a little better.
Just my opinion though!

I could be wrong but I think you can have more than one name on your bank account. I have three trade names registered, and this winter I'm going to look into getting them all on my account.

Turfdude
10-26-2003, 07:57 AM
I guess it all depends on how long you were established. I think you would have been best off going w/ Silani's Landscape Management. People would have still recognized your name, but also realized that you are a much more full service organization. We did the exact same thing this calendar year .... wnet from Lawn Maintenance to Landscape Management.

sildoc
10-26-2003, 12:45 PM
I agree I wanted to just change from lawn care to landscape management but, I hated getting phone calls on my home phone and not my business phone. You can't land many jobs when your 3 year old is answering and carrying on a conversation with a possible client.
I guess that I could keep the phone from him but that is the phone gma and gpa call on alot, and it is his way of learning to grow up and use conversational skills.

" Let it Grow said"
I think "Crater Lake Landscaping" sounds a little better.

YES. But everything in this neck of the woods is Crater Lake this and Crater Lake That. I wanted to have a very catchy and recognized name but did not want to be confused by all of the other businesses that were Crater Lake.

All in all it is working very well.

Let it Grow
10-26-2003, 01:20 PM
I see what you mean, but if you are using "Crater Landscaping" won't that kind of have the same effect? It seems like people will still relate it to Crater Lake...that is what I immediately thought of when I saw it. I agree with you that you don't want to be confused with every other business with that name.

I guess if you have already changed it then it doesn't really matter. I also think that Silani's Landscape Management would work really well also.

NYRookie
10-26-2003, 02:46 PM
I too am thinking about changing my bus. name. Right now I have, "Enterprises" in it and wanted to change it so it had landscape or something similar. Everyone uses enterprises and it is kind of bla. My wife thinks I am nuts because I have been in bus. 3 years and I do alot of different services. Not to mention the cost of changing. I still have not decided.

Let it Grow
10-26-2003, 02:52 PM
If your name is working for you why change? Unless you think you'll be able to grow your business by changing, I'd just leave it.

Just my opinion.

sildoc
10-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Let it grow,
Just like you said, leave your options open to everything so you can grow in an outward and upward fashion. A tree has many branches to survive and with the name that I had I was growing straight up and missing the money I could have made with the branches associated with my business. That is the reason that I went with the landscape management instead of landscape maintenance or lawn services. Narrows you to much and makes you specific in what you do. When you are specified and have a slow period there is not much you can fill your spare time with. (ie. people are not searching you, you are searching them) I find if I have to search it takes 10x the effort than if you have people searching you. Any ways before you do change your name make darn good and sure that you research the pros and cons. Keep your other name current in the name change and don't throw out any thing that has the old name since you might decide to change back.
I did advertise early with both names just to see what response I would get. It was about 40/60 new vs old. I give that 20% due to the fact of name recognition from before. I plan to do the same again this next spring and see what the ratio is just to make sure that I want to keep the new name.

All in all , one of the main reasons to change name is to get people to stop calling at my residence phone number. Unlisted number was not an option.

Good luck.

Let it Grow
10-26-2003, 04:34 PM
Would it work to just get a cell? That is what I have and I advertise that number on all my ads.

I see what you are saying and I think the biggest problem that you will have is that it will almost be like starting your business over. Name recognition is huge, and when you get your name built up so people know who you are just by the name, it is many times detrimental to change your name, then have to build your name back up again.

I'm not trying to say you are right or wrong, I'm just trying to give you ideas, and help out any way I can. If you think your business will grow with this new name, then by all means go with it.

In my opinion you should do your reasearch and find which name you like the best and go all in with it. If you are going to change it, then do it all the way. I don't see how it would ever help to change your name, then decide you don't like it, and change it back. I would still keep my old name registered, but I would only use one, and I would stick with it.

Just my opinion!

sildoc
10-26-2003, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Let it Grow
[B]Would it work to just get a cell? That is what I have and I advertise that number on all my ads. "

Yes I use my cell as my primary phone but have a line at home that I can transfer back and forth with the cell. I tell you it is a little cheaper that way when you add Internet and voice mail.
Yes name recognition was my main concern but so far it has gone well. I have picked up several clients that have asked if I was or used to be Silani's Lawn Care. of which I reply with a simple yes. They usually ask why the name change and with a simple "because it limited areas of the job that I was more than able to perform"
Most agree that "Crater Landscape Management " is a catchier name. I did like my name as a business name but it did have draw backs. Did the quality going to change?
No.
In fact so far the clients that I did have have had me do allot more for them instead of finding someone else.
Gran-it that I have learned allot and wished that I had found this site earlier, since it would have changed my thinking to begin with (two heads are better than one unless there joined), but I cant say I am doing bad.
I do it part time to enjoy the extras and have taken it slow. I am in the process of grinding gears and stepping it up a notch and come feb/mar I will most likely be the as bobby gedd puts it " the lawn boy"!
Any ways I will share my input like all. If I can learn one thing a day about what it is I do. Heck in 10 years I will be #1 grass kicker.
I do appreciate the input. Keep it coming. Trust me I put 115% thought and work into my self and business and everything I have read helps me.
Thanks. Good luck to all.

cclllc
10-26-2003, 10:48 PM
I went from Lawns Unlimited to Custom Cut Lawns,LLc

Let it Grow
10-27-2003, 02:07 AM
Hey whatever works for you! We all do our own thing our own way. If it works for you, then do it. I'm sure it will work well for you.

turfman59
10-27-2003, 06:03 AM
If you have had success with the current name, why change it ?
The only time I would change it, is if The company was actually changing its focus, then i would only change one word, not more than that.