PDA

View Full Version : toro vs honda

t j lawn care
10-23-2003, 09:38 PM
I am interested in what people think about which is better a Toro Proline bbc with a 6 hp Kaw engine vs a honda Commercial with a 5.5 honda engine with bbc. I bag and also mulch ?

Rick Jones
10-23-2003, 10:03 PM
I'd go with the Toro. Look for a 2-stroke model. They are the best 21"s out there.

Let it Grow
10-23-2003, 10:08 PM
I don't know about that. I admit that I haven't used the Toro, but it would take an incredible mower to beat out my Honda's. I would recommed them to anyone.

I wouldn't buy the two stroke. 4 stroke will typically last longer, and it's way better for the environment.

10-23-2003, 10:22 PM
I looked an compaired both machines at my local dealer. Both machines are very well made and commercial quality. They did not have any demo units on hand so I had to buy without even starting one.
I felt that the Honda was a better unit for me so thats what I bought and I don't regret it one bit.

I also bought a Honda trimmer and stick edger the same day.
I really like only having the pre-mix for the blower.

It's your money, you worked hard for it so pick the machine that fits your needs.

Ray&Christine
10-23-2003, 10:45 PM
This season I bought a 6 hp Kawasaki Proline to replace a 6.5 hp Briggs powered Proline. I can't comment on the Honda but the Kawasaki is a great improvement over the Briggs. The mower mulches great but I find the bag hard to empty.

Ray

sildoc
10-24-2003, 12:36 AM
Honda! Best machine I have ever owned. Like I say it is heavy and built like a brick shirt house but it is quiet, runs smooth has good traction, excelent bagger, good mulcher (I do both) and the 5.5 is Hondas rating compared to a briggs it is an 9hp.
I have not been able to stall it even on 7" cutting at 3 mulching. (had to go slower but it never stalled).
good luck try em both.

Mark
10-24-2003, 12:51 AM
:) Ive ran Honda's, Snappers, and The Toro proline, the Toro with the 2 cycle suzki is the best 21" mulcher ive ever used.....Marks Mowing Service

summergrove
10-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Honda! The people that make these units are short their eyes are closer to their work and they make less mistakes.

bob
10-25-2003, 04:33 PM
I've looked into both of these mowers. I don't think you'd go wrong with either one! Six of one , 1/2 dozen of the other.

TRex
10-25-2003, 05:58 PM
If you can still find one I would get the Toro 2-cycle just for the simle fact that it needs little to no maintenance during the season. I have a 1984 and it only needs the muffler cleaned and a new sparkplug every no and then.

gardenprowhistler
10-25-2003, 07:49 PM
I have 3 models of honda incl one Hydro commercial. All are great mowers. I hear toro is too but I like my hondas. One day I'll be brave and try toro.

gusbuster
10-25-2003, 08:32 PM
At one time, Dad's crew had a Suzuki pro line and I had the Honda 216.

Tall wet grass. As a mulcher, couldn't beat the pro line. For bagging, can't beat the Honda.

Both machines were bought in 95 96, the toro is history as of 2000. I still have the Honda, but that's because I didn't use it as much as my dad's crew.

Problems we had, the pinions wore out real fast on the pro line and if the blade of the proline was easily dulled.

I still like the Honda, but during wet weather(winter time for me) can't use it on lawns because it weighs as much as my truck. Just tears up a wet lawn.

John

husqvarna600c
10-25-2003, 09:29 PM
i think the honda is a better machine but a lot of guys like the two cycle.some crews who do a lot try to only run two-cycle because changing the oil on the honda every 50 hours or once a week is a lot! a local lco has 11 honda 21"walkbehinds and that is his only complaint .one other lco uses the toro two-cycle at work but has chosen the honda 216 for his own personal use .i personally am not as big as these i mentioned so the maintenance would not bother me .

matth
10-25-2003, 10:12 PM
went through 2 honda and then i got a used toro (non proline) with a 2cycle engine (suzuki that has been more reliable and easier to use
deffinately buy the toro

Let it Grow
10-26-2003, 01:19 AM
I think we should be sure that we are all comparing the same mowers here, in order to get a good comparison.

Honda HRC 216 & the Toro Proline...right?

It seems like some of us are talking about homeowner mowers, and others are talking about commercial mowers. Let's get on the same page, then we can get a better comparison.

GarPA
10-26-2003, 04:19 AM
this is almost like ford vs chevy....you cant wear out a Honda...I;ve owned three of them the past 15 years.
Great bag system, superior engine but helpless in long wet conditions.

WOuld like to buy the old John Deere which I've run and kicks butt in all conditions but they stopped making it. (idiots)

Next one will likley be a Toro commercial 4 cycle...for me, the less 2 cycle the better

maple city
10-26-2003, 12:53 PM
Honda HRC 216. You won't be sorry. Check out the Honda trimmers while you're at it.

gusbuster
10-26-2003, 01:06 PM
I said this once before and will say it again, the era of a 2-cycle mower is limited. They can not meet EPA requirements. Now tell me the difference between a hand held 2 cycle, which will still be legal and a mower that is 2 cycle, is illegal.

Goofy enviro nuts

Turf Dancer
10-26-2003, 04:01 PM
I have used both and seen the results of both! I have two Hondas and I have an Accelerator bagger for the second one! I jsut put a mulch kit on one and they both perform real well in both mulching and bagging !
Go woth the Honda. The Toro does not bag as well and it is a crappy bagging set up !

DieselDeere
10-26-2003, 09:06 PM
I've got two Toro's and both are great!

tazz
10-26-2003, 10:25 PM
Don hit anything very soft crankshaft on the hondas. We have two bent this year 600.00 dollar engine replacement. Toros mulch very well and seem to last longer the drive is not as smooth on toro but they still run even after hitting things. just add a new blade and off you go.

GarPA
10-27-2003, 04:45 AM
I'm always amazed when this topic comes up here on LS, and it does often, in that there is such differing strong points of view on Honda vs TORO.

NOw that Deere stopped making the commercial 21, any of you tried the homwowner version?? My neighbor, right next door has the Deere and it seems to handle mulching a whole lot better than my commercial Hondas, especially in Spring when I find the Honda to not cut the mustard