PDA

View Full Version : Hour Meter Problem

Randys Lawn Service
10-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Have big problem as the key to my new Scag Tiger Cub was accidentally turned on and wasn't noticed for awhile. Now have 84 hours on my NEW mower!! Should have 32!!! Is there a way to get my meter to correctly state the hours???

Thanks for any legitimate answers!!!

bob
10-24-2003, 02:04 PM
Try reversing the battery connections. If that doesn't work, buy a new meter and leave the key on until you hit the right amount of hours. I remember a thread that someones Walker mower had the hour meter running backwards.

Randys Lawn Service
10-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Thanks, I'll try switching the wires.

ElephantNest
10-24-2003, 03:23 PM
Also, too avoid this in the future, you may want to look into an after market one, like Briggs & Stratton, that run off of the spark plug wire. Mine only counts when the spark plug is firing, thus a key left on wouldn't affect it at all. I think mine was $18.00, blinks on 25 hours, is resetable, yada yada yada.

~Nest

locutus
10-24-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
Also, too avoid this in the future, you may want to look into an after market one, like Briggs & Stratton, that run off of the spark plug wire. Mine only counts when the spark plug is firing, thus a key left on wouldn't affect it at all. I think mine was $18.00, blinks on 25 hours, is resetable, yada yada yada.

~Nest My tiny-tach is like that. I like it a lot better than the ones that run off the switch.

walker-talker
10-24-2003, 07:55 PM
I post this very same senerio a while back.....not much you can do. I have about 70 hours on the meter when the actual is around 10. If it is very important to you, you could buy a tiny tack and install. Disconnect the factory meter. Use the tiny tach to figure out when you need to plug the factory installed meter back in. The unit I bought was brand new, but the dealer left in on for a day, then I left it on for a little more than a day. I never heard anything about reversing the wires, but in my case it's my overseeder and would take forever using this method. I thought about leaving the key on to flip the meter, but this would take over a year and probably numerous batteries. I know it's 60 hours more than it should read and that is good enough for me. When I go to sell the unit I am not sure if the prospective buyer will believe me or not.

MATT