PDA

View Full Version : USED LEAFLOADER:To Buy, or Not to buy? (w/ pics)

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-24-2003, 04:12 PM
The guy that sold me the 2 Redmax 4300 blowers asked me if I want this. Its a Giant Vac (not sure how many hours, or how old it is) It isnt running right now, but I'm pretty sure I could fix it:p. I believe its a 27HP Kohler engine-Twin Cylinder. 14" intake. What whould you honestly pay for this?

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Herres a few flaws I noticed-I'm sure I could fix most of these eaisily:

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-24-2003, 04:17 PM
Welded patches on discharge:

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-24-2003, 04:19 PM
The back:

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-24-2003, 04:33 PM
Engine rust: (note-He JUST took the plugs out yesterday, so no-water hasnt got into the cylinders)

walker-talker
10-24-2003, 04:33 PM
Too many unknowns. The hose I think would be minor. The welded patches mean nothing. Not a lot of moving parts on this kind of machinary. Check the vacuum fan and see what kind of shape it is in. You need to know what it's going to take to get the engine working. Would you want to tow this around or mount it on the front of your truck or on the trailer deck?

Looks like a monster!!
Good luck
MATT

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-24-2003, 04:37 PM
Right side:

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-24-2003, 04:43 PM
So, what cha all think? How much would you pay for it?

mike9497
10-24-2003, 05:42 PM
i would give him $400 since its not running.then i would look for a new engine.nothing wrong with the welds thats normal on a old vac like that.all new leaf loaders have a liner in them to keep the out side steel from breaking down.i wouldn't pay over 1000 unless it was running.looks like a 15 + year old unit

mike9497
10-24-2003, 05:44 PM
this is 15 years old

AL Inc
10-24-2003, 07:48 PM
LBP- I believe the date of manufacture is on the serial # tag on Giant Vac. It will just be 2 numbers, like 1992 will say 92. I agree with Mike, somewhere in the ballpark of $400 is fair. These are pretty simple machines, and even if you put money into it, you will be OK. I see many old leaf vacuums around here, you can get many years out of one. Good luck, Mike

proenterprises
10-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Dont know if anyone has brought this up yet but check the impeller fan...make sure its not beat to ----. The engine shouldnt be a major deal to get running, should run strong. The rest of the little flaws are just detals and will be dollars to fix, no big deal. 400 is fair, although myself I would be willing to give 500 if he wanted go higher on me. But I would say no more than 600.00 since its not currently running.

Isint that thing a little big for you little truck LBP?

Boy I wish I was 16 and had a vehicle....im missing out on ALL the fun:angry:

FrankenScagMachines
10-24-2003, 10:29 PM
It is a beast. Don't know what it's worth, but I don't think Kohler had a 27hp that long ago but I may be wrong.

Envy Lawn Service
10-24-2003, 10:40 PM
I "think" that is a 22 hp opposed twin. Who cares what it's worth. Offer him $100, you never know. A friend of mine bought a Chevy 4x4 last weekend. He offered $100, they took it and get this...he DROVE it home.

proenterprises
10-24-2003, 10:57 PM
LOL ENVY!!!!!!!!!!

wow-I dont care what shape that chevy was in...if you drove it home and paid 100 dollars...youve got the best deal in the world (check for a bomb under the seat though)

even if just the seat, radio, speakers and windshield wipers were on the damn thing you still have more than you paid for.

LBP-try this...maybe you can take it for 100.00

did he give you a price and you are going to negotiate-or did he just tell you to make an offer.

stevo22
10-25-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
It is a beast. Don't know what it's worth, but I don't think Kohler had a 27hp that long ago but I may be wrong.

now how in the world would you know that if you were just one yr old 15yrs ago...just messing w/ ya...your knowledge of motors far exceeds mine...

vipermanz
10-25-2003, 04:37 AM
whoever welded that honestly sucked at it,, i'd give no more than 200.:)

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-25-2003, 08:57 AM
How about I just take it? :p. He said he tested it for compression and I believe he said magneto was good too-and if I wanted it, I could take it and fix er up. If I found it was beyond my hand of repair, or I got it to work and didnt want it, He said he would take 'er back. Hows that for a deal?:D

I hope my luck doesnt run out on this guy soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

FrankenScagMachines
10-25-2003, 09:21 AM
Now how do I get to this place? :D Be there by nightfall buddy!!!! Awesome deal!!! You've got more luck than a 4 leaf clover! :) :D

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-25-2003, 09:42 AM
It was a four leaf clover, but I mutated a new breed of 6-leafers w/ radiation :D

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-25-2003, 09:47 AM
I have al the parts to build a box for my truck, just need to figure out how I'm gonna secure it in my trruck bed. I dont have any stud supports in my bed.:(

DUSTYCEDAR
10-25-2003, 10:41 AM
get it 4 as cheap as u can {free} fix it up paint get the welds fixed and SELL IT and buy a new smaller unit u can move around
that thing is a time bomb and if it was worth anything he would have sold it already check the engine mounts if they are broken u need a new engine and that cost way to much
good luck with the adventure

lawnkid
10-25-2003, 11:22 AM
I agree with DUSTYCEDAR,
I mean if you actually have enough properties to make use of it then I would buy it and sell it. Then buy another smaller one like Little wonder or Giant Vac loader. Another thing is gonna be emptying that truck . If you don't have a dump or dump insert than it's gonna be a pain cleaning out a lot of leaves. You're also gonna probably have to make a really tall box on your truck becase the loader discharge chute is really high. Idk I think it would be too many variables. Tell us what happens.

Grassmechanic
10-25-2003, 03:58 PM
I used that model when I worked for the Army. That thing will suck a glove right off your hand! I lost many. We mounted it to a 5yd dump with a box in back.

PaulJ
10-25-2003, 10:13 PM
Your truck looks like it has stake holes in the sides. Or are you using a different truck. I have never seen a p;pickup without stake holes. some are covered by a bed liner(like mine) or rails. You could use c-clamps to hold a box in place (like the topper in the picture) or get some self tapping screws and drill and screw into the top of the bed. This is how I attach a topper in the winter time and side boards in the summer.

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-25-2003, 11:56 PM
Well, I got it:D Its now officially mine. I took a look at the impeller, and its a 4-tipper impeller, and looks to be BRAND new. I dont even think i saw a scrach or dent on it. Anyhow, I got the engine running, runs VERY strong too! Its electric start, has a pressurized oil lubrication system (with PSI gauages too), and a spin-on oil filter. gas tank holds 5 gallons. I think with a little bit of TLC, (and spray paint ;) ), this thing will look like new!

FrankenScagMachines
10-26-2003, 01:44 AM
Running already?!?!?!?! What did it need? congrats, awesome deal. Like the others said if i were you i'd consider fixing and selling it then buying new or newer 16hp or so truck mounted one. just an idea.

Envy Lawn Service
10-26-2003, 03:25 AM
Congrats, I figured they guy would just like to have it out of the way. I figured he'd take $100....but free is always better.

The stake holes on your bed are probably hidden by the camper shell. But anyways, that's an awfully nice looking bed to be chunking full of crap at a high rate of speed. I'd be looking at other options or a way of protecting the bed from damage.

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-26-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
Running already?!?!?!?! What did it need? congrats, awesome deal. Like the others said if i were you i'd consider fixing and selling it then buying new or newer 16hp or so truck mounted one. just an idea.
Needed two plugs, oil, gas, clean the housing out (big wad of leaves were in there-nest of some kind is what it looked like), and had to clean the bowl and needles off. I pulled theold plugs after i cleaned the housing, and hooked a battery up, and let it turn over a few times, then hooked it all back up. Ran like a champ. Took about 10 minutes. Simple as dat. :p

Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Congrats, I figured they guy would just like to have it out of the way. I figured he'd take $100....but free is always better.

The stake holes on your bed are probably hidden by the camper shell. But anyways, that's an awfully nice looking bed to be chunking full of crap at a high rate of speed. I'd be looking at other options or a way of protecting the bed from damage. I dont know if the stake-punches are on the rails of the bed or not, have to check it today or tomorrow. Its raining here right now-cold and wet. I was thinking of cutting a sheet of plywood to it the bottom of the bed, then line the bottom of the bed with a large heavy-duty tarp so i can drag a pile of leaves out.

I'll post some pics after I get it all cleaned up. Believe me, she'll be pur-dee!:D :D :D

Grassmechanic
10-26-2003, 09:41 AM
Tell ya what, if your going to use that vacuum with your pickup, you had better build a strong box. We had to keep rebuilding our boxes because the pressure from that thing would literrally blow them apart. We ended up using 3/4" plywood and 2x4's, and everything had to be bolted because it kept pulling the nails out. Oh, and we cut an opening near the top of the box and covered it with heavy duty screen, similar to poultry netting. This allowed the air to "flow through" and keep from stressing the box. The box was mounted to the truck using chain! Awesome vacuum!

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
...We had to keep rebuilding our boxes because the pressure from that thing would literrally blow them apart...
Did you have vents in it to begin with? I am thinking of building the box 4-6' high, and making 1/2 or 3/4 of the roof a giant vent. Not sure yet.

I looked for stud holes in the rails of my truck, none were there!

Grassmechanic
10-26-2003, 10:16 PM
Yeah, we had vent holes, but part of our problem was that they were not big enough. We had to keep experimenting and making them bigger. If you're going with 1/2 - 3/4 of the roof for a vent, you should be OK. Make sure you use some heavy duty netting because the leaves will really stick to it. Oh, and dont worry about wet leaves, that vac will pick them out of puddles.

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-26-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
... Oh, and dont worry about wet leaves, that vac will pick them out of puddles. I think it will suck up the whole puddle and the mud it was sitting in too.

mike9497
10-27-2003, 12:56 AM
i will show u my F250 leaf box in the AM.i just finished making a new one tonight

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-27-2003, 08:53 AM
Get some good detail pics if you can, like how you braced corners together, how you built the vents, etc. I would REALLY appreciate it:D

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-27-2003, 06:28 PM
Well, I sand blasted it today, and began painting-starting with the engine. Its already lookin great!

AL Inc
10-27-2003, 06:43 PM
LBP- Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the finished product! Now you need a dump truck! Mike

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-27-2003, 09:37 PM
I think I'm gonna put a sheet of plywod flat over the wheelwells-so I have storage space under the base for hand tools and stuff.

The Lawn Boy Pro
11-12-2003, 05:48 PM
Well, ITs all done:D Pics will be comming tonight or tomorrow.

proenterprises
11-12-2003, 08:40 PM
HURRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Lawn Boy Pro
11-13-2003, 10:21 PM
Here come pics.....:D

The Lawn Boy Pro
11-13-2003, 10:23 PM
Left Side

The Lawn Boy Pro
11-13-2003, 10:26 PM
Back-

The Lawn Boy Pro
11-13-2003, 10:28 PM
Front-

The Lawn Boy Pro
11-13-2003, 10:30 PM
Engine

The Lawn Boy Pro
11-13-2003, 10:33 PM
Last one-Sorry the pic quality is low, but I think you can see the difference between what it used to look like and how much better it looks now!

Rich's Lawn Care
11-13-2003, 10:36 PM
WoW looks good!!!and you can't beat the price. have you sucked up any leaves yet?

DUSTYCEDAR
11-13-2003, 10:38 PM
looks good

The Lawn Boy Pro
11-13-2003, 10:42 PM
Yes, I've sucked leaves (and almost my foot too). It works excellent!

stslawncare
11-14-2003, 09:07 AM
hey, what is that pipe looking thing next to the discharge? is it for holding a rake or something? also dont forget to put lights and tag it if needed in ur area. looks great, you got a good deal it appears. have fun

Grassmechanic
11-14-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by stslawncare
hey, what is that pipe looking thing next to the discharge? is it for holding a rake or something? also dont forget to put lights and tag it if needed in ur area. looks great, you got a good deal it appears. have fun to hold the hose when you're transporting the vac.

The Lawn Boy Pro
11-14-2003, 01:15 PM
That, and its supposed to have a boom on it.

T. Matthews
11-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Hey,
I just bought a 16 hp Billy goat for $800 it is less than 2 years old and is in really awsome condition. Made my money back in 2 days. The previous owner was to big of an operation to own it and needed bigger

GTLC
11-14-2003, 06:17 PM
It's got an Interstate battery on it-the best of the best!

uncle is big Interstate battery distributor