PDA

View Full Version : New Lawn Install problem

jlc31
10-24-2003, 03:13 PM
I put a new lawn in about two weeks ago and i have had no sprouts come up yet i seeded it and strawed it then i went over it with started fertilizer. will someone give me some advice.

Thanks,
Jeff Smith
Jeff's Lawn Care

TOMMY1115
10-24-2003, 03:46 PM
one word....

WATER???

1MajorTom
10-24-2003, 03:51 PM
How cold have the temperatures gone down to in the night?
Has there been any frost?

bobbygedd
10-24-2003, 04:49 PM
i seeded around 10 props 3.5 weeks ago. checked them all and every one is doing great. we had temps as low as 32 here, but as high as 75 since we seeded. how did u seed? "slice" seed? aerating w/seed? topsoil w/seed? toss it on the ground and go home? what was the condition of the site before u seeded? overseed an exsisting lawn, start new?what kind of seed? let me know. u have similar weather conditions there, im sure i can help. my seeding strategies are a bit unorthodox, but very succesful.

ksland
10-24-2003, 05:00 PM
2 weeks isn't that long, depending on moisture, temps and seed type some grass takes 3 weeks such as kentucky bluegrass. Has it been below or close to 50 degrees?

Runner
10-24-2003, 10:19 PM
Exactly. 2 weeks isn't that long, and how much water has it been getting? Is the soild kept moist - consistently? Also, quite frankly, you best bet, (and you should REALLY be hoping for this) at this point is to not have any germination. Whatever germinates for you where you are at, will probably be lost over the winter. The only thing that will hold is that that DOESN'T germinate until Spring when the soil temps reach their mark consistently. I just put in a Soccert field here, and I'm hoping for the same thing.

GardenTech
10-24-2003, 11:58 PM
Soil temp. is key...55-60 degrees consistently and lots of H2O...what kind of starter fert. did you use, what was there before, how old/new was the seed? Killer Frost in our area tonight.

jlc31
10-27-2003, 02:50 PM
the yard is finally starting to come up i used a fairlawn seed mix and scotts starter fertilizer. it has been cold but the yard is coming up great. What kind of seed do you guys recomend