PDA

View Full Version : Horrors found in leaf piles

b & t lawn care
10-24-2003, 07:49 PM
It's that time of year again. LEAF PILES !!! :angry: Pulled into job site and there was a leaf pile, 4 ft high, 12 ft wide, 14 ft long! We looked at each other and jokingly said, "wonder what we will find hidden. Started grinding with the Great Dane when what to our horror we found but 6 tennis balls (boy did they fly), 2 plastic balls, a plastic whistler tube, and a BASEBALL BAT !!! Luckily no one got hit by flying debree. Was glad we didn't go right in with the Walker first. Called the home owner to explain why his fall clean-up bill will be 1 hr. longer in charges due to the leaf pile. His reply was, oh well, the kids had fun. Yah, at our expense. Hate to say anything to owner & risk making him mad as we have 5 of his reletives properties too. What would you all do or done as I'm sure this has happened lots out there. :blob2:

wriken
10-24-2003, 09:43 PM
I was thinking about that yesterday, when I was sucking up a pile the homeowner raked up.

Expert Lawns
10-24-2003, 09:50 PM
I was drving through a city street today and saw a huge pile of leaves in the road. All they have to do is blow them to the curb and the city sucks them up. Well, I wanted to just bust through this pile of leaves SO BAD. It had to be 4ft high. Could have been kids in there hiding or something like that. It is just an accident waiting to happen

Runner
10-24-2003, 10:58 PM
Yes, in some areas around downtown (the college-cultural area), some people put things like cynder blocks under the piles so when these kids come bust through late at night in dad's car, they get a surprise. Yes, the homeowner is liable for it, but they are always able to say. "There was a what?"

Expert Lawns
10-25-2003, 12:37 PM
Runner - that is exactly where I was.

GardenTech
10-25-2003, 01:34 PM
That's why we always kick the piles flat before we pick them up...

Expert Lawns
10-27-2003, 09:47 AM
Last week I had 2 accounts where the kids raked the leaves into piles then left them there. I hate mowing around them. They blow everywhere, ruin my stripes, and just make the lawn look crappy.

CNYScapes
10-27-2003, 09:52 AM
I chewed up a rake a few years back, made some nice woodchips. I put it on the front porch and never heard anything about it. That'll teach em!!

Movinfr8
10-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Nice timing!!

Yesterday, I was mulching the leaves at my mom's house, about 2 acres and a LOT of trees! anyway, I was cruising over some rough ground, and the right blade slammed into the mulch kit and stopped, smoking the belt, and bending the bolts that hold the mulch kit in place. I had hit a pine tree stump about 2 inches in diameter!!pushed the mulch kit into the blade.
Bummer!
I had to remove the Mulch kit and finish side discharging the leaves into piles and running thru them till they were dust and then distribute the dust around. Will be more careful next time.
Norm

Green in Idaho
10-27-2003, 11:57 AM
Several years ago a story hit the local news that a janitor found a shotgun in a pile of LEAVES on the grounds of a local elementary school. It was along the perimeter fence of the school and then of course houses were on the other side of the fence.

It was MY shotgun! It was stolen out of my truck about 2 weeks ealier. I had filed a report and all and then I see it show up on the local TV news. Boy was I surprised! I called and talked to the principal to explain and such. Police said I could come pick it up at their office. I said, "no thanks. you can keep it". It was a poc to begin with... But another example what may lurk in the leaves....

Anyone found a BODY yet???

BobbyG, Any NJ mafia disposals on your properties? :eek:

"Hey, Two-Fingers, just throw it out into the pile of leaves and let the lawn boy compost it.-- Save the cement." Imagine mowing along and you see some toes sticking out of the leaves right in front of your mower...... YUK!!!!!!!!!!!!

It goes well with Halloween... :blob2:

EagleLandscape
10-27-2003, 12:29 PM
no bodies, but i dont do leaf cleanups. im 18 now, and when i was in boy scouts doing my eagle project we cleaned the creek that ran through the dallas zoo. just one moneth before my project took place they found 2 dead bodies in that creek, some zoo visitor saw em. yikes.
but we found tons of needles, 2 water heaters, multiple shopping carts, car doors, about 100 60 gallon bags of trash.

Potchkins
11-07-2003, 01:00 PM
eagle scout ... good job
i didn't get that far

Barkleymut
11-08-2003, 05:18 AM
I was unloading at the dump on Tuesday and smelled something rank. As my employee and I were unloading the last tarp he yelled -watch your foot! Oh yes the flies were circling. It was a dead skunk under some branches. I don't think it was the skunks smelly glands that was the bad smell just the rotting away of a dead animal. I still almost puked since I literally stepped about a foot away from that thing. I'm gonna look closer for flies when at the dump from now on.

DUSTYCEDAR
11-08-2003, 09:41 AM
there is a old guy in the neighbor hood that has a corner property and he has a fire hydrant and he piles the leaves around it and every year he has a least one idiot that gets a surprise

studentlawn
11-12-2003, 12:37 PM
The other day im doing a cleanup in a backyard of mostly rock beds. Im tarping up the piles of leaves when I feel something sticky on the bottom of my shoe.. im thinking, ahhh dog sh**. i shake my foot but the stuff doesnt come off. I shake it again. Still there. I finally look down and there is a 1 foot wood board with 3 sticking pointy end up nailed through the board. One of the nails went straight through my shoe. I was wearing a nike 'shox' basketball shoe which has a far distance from the bottom of shoe to the bottom of my foot, otherwise the nail would have went straight into my foot. I immediatly teed off, stopped working in the back, told the crew to finish up the front and left. She hasnt said anything yet but theres a big pile of leaves in her back on a rockbed. I felt I shouldnt finish becuase to me its unsafe conditions. Yet I feel I should charge her ful price. Do you guys think this is fair? What would you do?

The Lawn Boy Pro
11-12-2003, 12:41 PM
I would have called and gave a piece of my mind about rusty nails almost cuttin me open!

bobbygedd
11-12-2003, 03:19 PM
no green, never found one, the guys i know use the hudson river as a disposal site.

thfireman
11-14-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
I was drving through a city street today and saw a huge pile of leaves in the road. All they have to do is blow them to the curb and the city sucks them up. Well, I wanted to just bust through this pile of leaves SO BAD. It had to be 4ft high. Could have been kids in there hiding or something like that. It is just an accident waiting to happen

Years ago here in Charlotte they would pick up loose leaves at the street. One day the truck pulls up to load leaves and there was a child hiding and playing in the leaves. The truck ran over the child and of coarse he died.

Unless the pile of leaves are in the back yard and I am there to supervise I will not allow my boy to get under them. Just not a safe situation.

PRO PROPERTY CARE
11-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Was sucking the leaves up along the curb a couple of days ago.. smelt something real nasty.....looked down , just in time,, and there was a half decomposed squirrle....yuk,,, almost sucked him up.. that would have been a nice mess.....:nono:

Critical Care
11-14-2003, 01:18 PM
Most of the time it's not too funny, but here are a couple of times that were amusing. One poor kid working for the city was weedeating around a tree downtown at a park while some nice looking young ladies walked by. I guess he was trying to act suave and wasn't paying attention to what he was doing and ended up weedeating through a pile of dog you-know-what. That poor guy was a stinking mess! And not too long ago I was visiting another part of the state and stopped by to talk to a lady that first hired me and got me started in the business. We were talking about mowing over objects; I mentioned mowing over croquet balls, but she said that she could top that. Apparently some kids at a job site got into their mothers private toy drawer and threw one of these toys out into the lawn. Needless to say that when my ex-employer mowed over this "artificial thing" and stopped to see what it was, she heard laughing coming from inside of the house. She said only because she had a couple of beers that she told me that. Geeze, I guess you never know what might be out there, eh?

BSDeality
11-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Critical Care, damn near same thing happened to me today. I just got home from a leaf <strike>cleanup</strike> battle (against the wind) and i was cleaning out around the hot tub. the tub was nestled in a little privacy hut thing, as i'm blowing leaves out i see a condom fly out with the leaves. weird, but, "ok, whatever." Then i goto blow out from under the steps and there it is... it must have been 14" long! ribbed and all. There were also some handcuffs and "beads" sitting on the shelf next to the tub.

This isn't one of my normal customers, got him through one of my advert. signs.