PDA

View Full Version : Disrespectful Dealers

maple city
10-24-2003, 09:27 PM
We went to our local dealer last week and bought a Husqvarna 165 blower. We already run a 145 and love it. The blower had a frame mount throttle. I asked about the tube mount version and the dealer told me that this was the style that Husky was going to. Bought it, used it, hated it.

Went to the Expo and saw only tube mount 165's.

Went back to the dealer Mon. morn and said that this blower wasn't going to work out for us and could we exchange it for the tube mount. Dealer says he doesn't have them and won't be able to get any more shipments from Husky any time soon. (Didn't call or check, just knew this info off the top of his head).
Told him just to refund our money. He did.

We called Lowe's and they would be able to get a 165 within 21 days. Called other equip. dealers in the state and they would be able to get one within 4 days.

We called our local dealer and asked why they told us none were available. They didn't have a good answer. We told the dealer that we had several occasions where we had received poor service from them and would not consider buying from them again any time soon. We had went to this dealer trying to buy a ZTR this year. We were talking to the salesman and he walked away from us when the owner of another larger LOC walked in. We left and spent the $6000.00 somewhere else. When all this blower stuff happened, we reminded our dealer of that incident. He told us that the other LCO owner DEMANDS respect and that's the way it is. The other LCO has purchased 10 units from him (over several years).

Just because we can't buy as much equipment, this is no reason not to take our business seriously. I'm sure that every LCO only started out buying one or two pieces of equipment at a time. We've been in business for 3 years, we're stable and to the point where we are buying more and more each year.

Are we the only ones that have dealers like this? :angry:

Mowingman
10-24-2003, 09:43 PM
No, there are dealers like that everywhere. The best way to get their attention, is to go buy somewhere else. When they see your truck and trailer full equipment brands that they do not sell, you will have their attention. I love to pull into our local JD/Toro dealer with my trailer full of Grasshopper ZTR's, and buy a $3.00 plastic gas can or some other little item.:D

Envy Lawn Service
10-24-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Mowingman
I love to pull into our local JD/Toro dealer with my trailer full of Grasshopper ZTR's, and buy a $3.00 plastic gas can or some other little item.:D

:laugh: That's a riot!!! :laugh:

I actually do the same thing. But I only buy a pack of Opti-2 that mixes one gallon.

Johnny
10-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Honest sales people ... they are few and far between.

Randy Scott
10-24-2003, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't waste your thoughts on him. He is who he is. Get your satisfaction within yourself by spending your money elsewhere as you have been. You can't change who he is.

parboy
10-24-2003, 10:54 PM
i was working a site one day w/ a deere 250 skid steer loader and a cat dealer acually aproached me told me my (new) equip was crap and to call him when it dies. I took this salesmans card called the owner of this cat dealer and told him of his "sales tactics".Have since bought another deere and thrilled with both.Wont rule out cat equip,but will rule out one dealer!!

Southpaw
10-24-2003, 11:08 PM
We called our local dealer and asked why they told us none were available. They didn't have a good answer. We told the dealer that we had several occasions where we had received poor service from them and would not consider buying from them again any time soon. We had went to this dealer trying to buy a ZTR this year. We were talking to the salesman and he walked away from us when the owner of another larger LOC walked in.

I think you know about how I feel about this already. The combover and the big belly and all the blah blah blah meant "No soup for you, Buddy". I would go through your trash if it wasn't an Echo product you threw away. LOL

sniggly
10-24-2003, 11:45 PM
When I was starting up I went to a local dealer close to the house to buy my stick equipment. Walked in...told him I wanted to purchase an edger, trimmer, blower, and hedger and that I preferred they all be the same make. His reply was.....and I quote, "I can't give you all the equipment in the same name brand but thanks for stopping by".....turned on his heel and walked away.

I didn't get upset......but I did make it a point to call him every day for the next week asking him some really stupid questions like...."How many ounces of oil does it take to make a 50:1 ratio of 2 stroke mix?" Of course he would answer and I would reply, "but what if it's super unleaded?"....and try my best to argue with him.

Point is.....my vindictive side found a way to waste his time just like he wasted mine!:D

maple city
10-25-2003, 12:37 AM
I'm not as upset now as I was at the time. I am angry that I am forced to drive to another dealer 45 minutes away to get decent service. But with an attitude like that, he'll lose more customers than us.

sniggly-
Why wouldn't the guy sell you all equip. of the same brand? Was it going to wipe out his inventory or something?

Phishook
10-25-2003, 02:50 AM
I think I know who you are talking about.

they didn't take me serious when I was looking at a mower, so I drove to Fort Wayne and bought it. Then took it over there to get a set of blades.

Rustic Goat
10-25-2003, 05:36 AM
Maple, dealer could have numerous reasons besides where his head is stuck. Like he's got money in the back from this past summer's sales and plans on keeping it there for Springs equipment orders. He probably doesn't want to place an order with Husq of enough size to get his usual discounts, and doesn't want to load up on Spring inventory this time of year.
That doesn't mean he's right in the way he treated you, just a possibility as why. If that is the case, don't know why he couldn't have just told you the truth.
Couldn't tell from your post, your contact at this dealer, is it a sales type or is it one of the owners/managers?
If it has been anything other than an owner type, and if you care to pursue this any further, contact an owner there and tell him exactly what you've said in your post that started this thread. Might shine some light in a darkened area he's not aware of.

GarPA
10-25-2003, 05:52 AM
Maple...you are not the only one with a dealer with an attitude.
Mine is horrible....no matter how many thousands of dollars I have spent, and will spend. His mechanics are competent...but the owner is a complete jerk....acts like he's doing you a favor to help you with an issue/problem. Many of us locally , hate shopping there but hes the only game in town for Ex, SCAg and echo.

Its gotten to the point where I will drive 40 minutes to buy a blower from another dealer. If I need another mower, I will actually change to Ferris, Walker, Gravely....or whatever as i wont give him another dime of my money. I've talked with the regional distibutor and with one of the manufacturers about the situation...and they both have their head up their anal rectal pore and tell me "we dont know of any problems". Well that is complete bull as I hear from guys all the time here who have the same problems and some have sent letters.

Frankly I get better customer service at WalMart than I get at this dealer. I am done with him. Of course the risk we run is if we have a major mechanical problem but I'll just have to roll those dice as I'm tired of being held hostage because he knows he has no competition for service issues.

The only way we can solve the problem is to go elsewhere to spend our hard earned money.

sniggly
10-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Not sure why he wouldn't sell me all same name equipment. I wasn't even in the store long enough to look at the equipment.

Funny part is I went to a dealer that was CLOSER to my house (walking distance literally) and got the very best service possible. I bought all new Tanaka sticks from him that day including an articulating head pole hedger. Spent around $2000 with him that day. Love this guy to death.

Mowingman
10-25-2003, 10:14 AM
So many folks around here are unhappy with our dealer choices, that I am actually opening a dealership. My partner and I feel we can do a better job than the current dealers here, and offer some highly desirable brand names that they do not sell. We both have been in the lawn maint business for over 10 years, and we think we know what kind of service the LCO's expect. We have set some high goals for taking care of customers. If we can meet those goals, I think we will eventually dominate the market here.
We will be the only dealer in this area to offer demos on everything we sell. We will also be the only dealer to offer loaners if your machine breaks down under warranty. We are really excited about the challange of getting this venture off the ground and providing good service to the professional lawn maint. guys here.
:D

mtdman
10-25-2003, 12:24 PM
The dealer wanted to sell you the equipment that he had on hand. Sure he could have ordered you a blower and gotten it, but then it would not have made a dent in his inventory of equipment, which he most likely has either paid for or is paying an interest rate on. I find that dealers do this often, even my favorite dealer. It sucks, but you have to be a diligent consumer to get the stuff you want.

GrassBustersLawn
10-25-2003, 03:32 PM
I think SOME of it is personality. I go to a "family run" shop here in Indy. I drive 20 miles one way to their shop when I could go 6 miles to the mega-farmstore dealer.

At the family shop, the owner's wife knows me by first name and always SMILES and says "hello Mike" and asks how my 4 year old daughter is.

At the mega-farmstore they don't me.

At the family store I can tell them what I need and they can go pull the part off the rack.

At the mega-farmstore I tell them what I need and they have to look it up in their computer system for 5 minutes and then look in a parts book to put in a number in the computer. Then they can tell me that they only have 2 of the blades when I need 3! (But I can come back tomorrow and they'll have the 3rd one shipped by then from their other mega-store!)

So in the long run I can save time by driving the extra miles and have a more pleasant buying experience. (BUT I know not to bother talking to the husband at the family store because his personality is drab/dull and not upbeat.) THEY are almost always busy during the season, but I have never felt "dissed" if someone else came in. More of a first come first served type store.

I guess if I were "dissed" by a salesman, I would bring that to the attention of the owner and if he did nothing about it I would be spending my money elsewhere!

Mike

dylan
10-25-2003, 06:12 PM
When I was seventeen and in the market for my 1st wb, I visited the closest Toro dealer only to be told that I couldn't afford one of those machines. He would not give me a price until I really persisted. Needless to say I drove 2 hrs to buy an Exmark and haven't looked back since. Did let him know that I bought something else because of his service.

DennisF
10-25-2003, 10:44 PM
This past Spring I went to an Exmark dealer to buy a Lazer Z HP. I had the cash for the mower in my pocket. When the salesman asked me if I was an established LCO I told him I was just starting out and was interested in a Lazer Z HP. He lost interest in my questions about service after the sale and started a conversation with another customer wanting trimmer line. Yeah thats right..trimmer line. He sold the trimmer line and I went to a Hustler dealer and bought a Hustler Z. Every now and then I stop by the Exmark dealer and buy....trimmer line.

mtdman
10-25-2003, 11:48 PM
What the hell is up with these tools? Obviously I have learned I have an exceptional dealer and I feel lucky as hell.
:D

olderthandirt
10-26-2003, 01:19 AM
Took my son in law with me to get a tractor. He was doing most of the talking to the salesman, I asked a question and the jerk looked at me and asked if I had my check book with me. I wasen't sure what he was getting at so I was honest and said no. The SOB told me to go sit in my truck while he talked to son in law. I walked out and Sonny has enough brains to follow. Went right over to New Holland dealer about 15 min. away and bought 2 tracs right then. So I go back to the Deere dealer and showed him my reciepts and asked for the manager which is also the owner. We showed reciept and told the story, almost 50k lost to a small dealer. The manager looked at the sales man and told him HEs the one that needs to go sit in his car. I don't know if he got fired or not becouse we left but he sure was getting his azz reamed out as we walked out.

MOW ED
10-26-2003, 08:27 AM
I feel odd responding to this thread because all the dealers that I do business with are very good. There are some in the area that have a less than good reputation but they carry brands (I'm not saying what brands) that I don't use.

Mowingman will do great as a dealer because he knows what the commercial cutter needs. My local dealer is that guy too. His original business is a 3 crew lawn maintenance company. He owns a dealership too. He got tired of having mowers go down and no one to service them.
When a commercial cutter comes in the door, they get preference. What is nice is that I get treated good even though I am a small operation. That keeps me coming back.

Maple City, eventually the attitude of that dealer will bite him. I saw a guy lose business like that until the point that he now is in another field. The sad thing is that he could have cornered the market at one time and blew it because he had so much work and thought he could cr aP on the little guys. He learned a thing or two about reputation and free market. Good Luck.

maple city
10-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Phishook - The dealer's name starts with "R'. Sorry to hear you had the same problems.

To everyone else,
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has had bad experiences. To any of you who may be opening a dealership, remember what you've read here and strive to do better. It will reward you in the long run.

The saddest part about this whole story is that we didn't deal with the owner. The owner of this dealership is the only one who has ever respected us in the past. We have tried to call the owner, and he seems to be unable to take phone calls.

Rick Jones
10-26-2003, 11:33 AM
Well at least bad dealers aren't exclusive to any particular area.:rolleyes:

The nice thing is there are about 20-30 of them within 20 miles of here. So as soon as one starts in with their ****, I just head on down to the next dealer. I just don't have time to play their games.

Funny somebody should mention trimmer line. At the beginning of the season, I was looking to purchase a new hydro walk behind. I was discussing prices with the salesman when somebody came in looking for trimmer line. Immediately, that became the salesman's top priority. Needless to say, I headed for the door. Once the salesman figured out what was happening, he made a futile attempt to keep me in the store. TOO LATE! Went and bought it somewhere else.

This is just one example of why I bought a trimmer from Home Depot and ordered a ProLine 21" off the internet. There's almost $1500 in sales that these jerks lost!! :p

These guys need to realize that you don't start out with 100 accounts and 3 crews. Someday, I might be at that point, and when I am, I'll remember the guy who decided a $10 sale of trimmer line was more important than a $4000 mower.

GarPA
10-26-2003, 12:13 PM
well its been said here hundreds of times that the most important part of a mower purchase is the assessment of the dealer. Of course thats often hard to know when its your first purchase from that dealer. After a few years of this crap I have come to one firm conclusion...it matters less to me whether its a Walker, SCAG, Exmark, Ferris, Gravely....etc...rather its the reputation that dealer has with guys in this biz, that matters most to me....period. Im no mower expert but imho most of the brands are not junk or they'd be gone a long time ago...yeah each one has its quirks and bells and whistles. Next time I get out the checkbook, the brand of mower will be secondary to the dealers reputation for keeping us productive.

And guys dont just fault the dealer...I have personal experience with the regional distributor AND the manufacturer. BOTH seem to not want to hear the horor stories about some of their "prized" dealers. Well I;ve got news for them all....keep it up and your "prized" dealers will be sucking air.