PDA

View Full Version : Simple/cheap functional OCDC

Doc Pete
10-24-2003, 10:08 PM
One of you guy's wanted this info. Here ya go. This OCDC works on Hustlers, Exmark Z's and other machines with the factory welded metal extension for a bagger. The clips for holding the chute closed are large size paper holders from any stationary story and metal. Takes about 5 seconds to open or close.
The hinge is a gate type from Home Depot or any hardware story. I used a piece of aluminum which made sizing to the opening easy. Total price about $10 and works as designed.
Pete

Doc Pete
10-24-2003, 10:10 PM
Pic #2

proenterprises
10-24-2003, 10:28 PM
WOW thats cheap:dizzy:

But i guess it works

Doc Pete
10-24-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by LandscapeEscape88
WOW thats cheap:dizzy:

But i guess it works

all it has to do is close the chute exit to work. It opens in a few seconds. Again...... functional/cheap

Runner
10-24-2003, 10:49 PM
What's it for? I'm sorry, but it just doesn't seem all that functional for what I THINK it would be used for, and that is mowing. By the time you shut your machine down, got off of it, and set that chute down, then got back on again to mow near what ever you are doing, and then do it all over again, it just seems that there would be better ways. If it's for leaf mulching, I can kind of understand it, except that there would be alot of blowout. This of course, is not the true word of mulching, as it will leave streaks as it all clumps up on the right side of the deck, however, it would work for the basic grinding.

imograss
10-24-2003, 11:28 PM
200.00 quikchute works for me, not cheap but works well

Doc Pete
10-24-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Runner
What's it for? I'm sorry, but it just doesn't seem all that functional for what I THINK it would be used for, and that is mowing. By the time you shut your machine down, got off of it, and set that chute down, then got back on again to mow near what ever you are doing, and then do it all over again, it just seems that there would be better ways. If it's for leaf mulching, I can kind of understand it, except that there would be alot of blowout. This of course, is not the true word of mulching, as it will leave streaks as it all clumps up on the right side of the deck, however, it would work for the basic grinding.

Frankly, with being a member since 2000, I gather you haven't explored the possiblities of an OCDC, in which case you should.
After using it only a week, I've redesigned my way of getting rid of leaves............
No, it's not a mulch kit, but then, you can also instantly (10seconds) mow with an open chute and blow the dust/leaves (without being locked into a full blown mulcher) and cut grass without leaving mulch clumps every time you turn around to make another pass. I have a mulch kit and they aren't nearly as good as they are cranked up to be.
Pete

TLS
10-25-2003, 12:34 AM
Pete,

I think if you could fashion a way to flip it open/closed on the fly, it'd be much more usefull.

Try the 3/8" ratchet swivel and rod up to your handlebar area. I think your buddy BHB has that on his. Thats what I'm going to make for my SCAG WB.

I understand what your using it for, but being able to open and close it on the fly will really amaze you at what it can help you do.

Sure mine spends 90% of its time OPEN, and 5% closed, but the other 5% its half open or just cracked open a hair.

You ever try BACKING over a windrow of leaves with it closed? Thats some serious shredding there!

Good Luck.

Runner
10-25-2003, 03:07 AM
That's kind of what I was getting at. Also, for going over the stuff forward, these work best if the chute is open just a little bit to let the deck breathe. This allows suction to bring the leaves in. When it's fully closed, there is just too much blowout, - especially when the deck gets rather full of material. I've had one of these on my Lazer for a couple of years now, and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's the only way to go. And like Tom said (which you probably already do, anyway), when you have your material somewhat gathered, go over it backwards, and it grinds it right up into dust. I always attributed this to the theory of it kicking all the material to the left side of the deck first, then it has to kick it back to the left. It's the way to go.
One other thing I was thinking, Pete. Since you have the actual plate and hinge assembly, have you looked into exactly what it would take to put an actuator on there like what the Masterchute uses? Didn't someone say that this was merely a powerwindow actuator available at most autostores? Man, for the price you have into it so far, (which certainly can't be beat), that would be awesome to see just what one of these type of units could be built for. Just an idea.;)

Doc Pete
10-25-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by TLS
Pete,

I think if you could fashion a way to flip it open/closed on the fly, it'd be much more usefull.

Try the 3/8" ratchet swivel and rod up to your handlebar area. I think your buddy BHB has that on his. Thats what I'm going to make for my SCAG WB.

I understand what your using it for, but being able to open and close it on the fly will really amaze you at what it can help you do.

Sure mine spends 90% of its time OPEN, and 5% closed, but the other 5% its half open or just cracked open a hair.

You ever try BACKING over a windrow of leaves with it closed? Thats some serious shredding there!

Good Luck.

Tom,
I realize what you are saying, but this is supposed to be the cheap/simple version;), and that it is.
As far as blowout, I don't have a problem, but then again, it's on a Hustler. It works fine for doing spots that don't allow throwing the grass, plus mulching leaves and if it was to be used for "open/close la de da" operation, then it would be a "different design", of which you can use BHB's idea.
Thanks,
Pete

GarPA
10-25-2003, 08:43 AM
this is a little off topic so please forgive me...I'm still getting used to the ECS controls on my new Viking 36". THese things are hard on the wrists/hands. I suppose they will get more user friendly when they get broken in. (I sure hope so)

Anyway, whether I buy on ocdc or make one, for you guys who are veterans with the ecs system, and have an ocdc, how cumbersome/tricky is it to open and close the chute on the fly??

Do you stop and do it or are you doing it on the fly? I still find I put a death grip on this thing 'cause I dont want to let go of the safety bars and have it buck thru a plant or worse

MOW ED
10-25-2003, 09:58 AM
here is mine. I took the deflector and heated it and hammered it down. Cost=torch gas

MOW ED
10-25-2003, 10:00 AM
view 2

Team Gopher
10-25-2003, 10:17 AM
Great designs!

Nova
10-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Here's mine. Ferris 32" Hydro walkbehind.

Since it's a walkbehind, it's not really a problem getting off the mower and opening/closing. I just stop and flip it up or down.

Everything was from Home Depot. Sheet metal, spring and the hinges have adjustable tension springs.

Does what I thought it would and didn't cost alot to make.

Doc Pete
10-25-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Nova
Here's mine. Ferris 32" Hydro walkbehind.

As long as it works!!!

Doc Pete
10-25-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by MOW ED
here is mine. I took the deflector and heated it and hammered it down. Cost=torch gas
You mean we're actually helping each other:D
Looks nice... and functional...

accuratelawn
10-25-2003, 03:25 PM
I use a piece of metal and a pair of wisegrips to hold it in place. It works to contain the leaves under the mower. Mulch everything up, then blow the windrows or put on the catcher.

FrankenScagMachines
10-25-2003, 10:17 PM
Here’s mine. Not as basic as the ones pictured but I think I use it differently than you guys. I didn’t spend any money on it, had the materials although I had to sacrifice one of my 3/8” socket wobble connections. It’s ¼” thick, has a spring to hold fully open or shut, and has a “notch” to hold it pointed like a stock discharge chute although I rarely use that position, sometimes it’s nice when you need to mow very tall/heavy stuff but with limited throwing distance (too tall to mulch). It has a mulching lip on it which eliminates that row of clippings for most conditions, and with this I can flip the chute down and mulch-mow or flip it up and discharge. Works great on grass and leaves especially in conjunction with the anti-blowout baffle I made. It has a lever so you can flip it from the operator’s position. It’s really similar to the EZ Chute made for eXmark w/b’s that Buckeye1 (here on LS) designed, except it has a mulching lip and it might be thicker steel for the plate. I have had no problems with it at all and have not had to “tweak” or adjust it at all. On my Scag w/b I had one just like it except the plate itself was alittle different to fit the different deck.
Pic of eXmark OCDC:

FrankenScagMachines
10-25-2003, 10:27 PM
The one I had on the Scag w/b before I sold the mower. I took the OCDC off of it and kept the handle and wobble joint portion for my eXmark OCDC and gave the plate itself to the new owner because I had made a mulch baffle kit for the mower and the ocdc plate was part of it to close off the discharge area. This OCDC was 1/8” plate with several pieces of 1/8” angle on it for hinges and corners, back of plate to keep debris from blowing backward, etc. it worked great also.

brucec32
12-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Where can I find an OCDC that works with a Lazer HP 48" deck or a Toro 44" deck?

bob
12-30-2003, 12:24 AM
I'd be afraid of loosing one of those clips in a lawn somewhere, then "finding" it when the mower launches it. Maybe find a way to fasten them on the cover. -screws, wire ties-

Fareway Lawncare
12-30-2003, 12:31 AM
$22.95 & I can open from operator's position.

bayfish
12-30-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by imograss
200.00 quikchute works for me, not cheap but works well

I put the Qwikchute on my Hustler Z also, would'nt be without one now.

dishboy
12-30-2003, 10:42 AM
Frankenscagmachine

Does the flap help much with the trail when mulching? This is why I don't mulch. My Exmark kit for my 1996[I think] 36inch viking does not separate the blade chambers and kicks everything to the right side and leaves a trail. I would really love to see any mods anybody has done to make this thing mulch. Thanks Tom

Westbrooklawn
12-30-2003, 01:07 PM
brucec32 -

I have a Director OCDC on my Exmark 48" HP and it works great. Do a search on Director and you will find the web site for York Sheet Metal (manufacturer of Director).

Doc Pete
12-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
$22.95 & I can open from operator's position.

Good picture. Too bad the cable is pulling at the wrong angle to open the chute, but nice try anyway.........

Fareway Lawncare
12-30-2003, 02:55 PM
Actually it opens just fine w/this handle. This design has been modified & duplicated from a hardcopy of another members unit & works quite well. Parts around $22.

BTW, the OC stands for Operator Controlled which yours is not.

GarPA
12-30-2003, 05:06 PM
Darn you guys....will you PAHLEASE stop tempting me with new toys and gizmos! I really need to get one of these....and the Handy Smurf I am not...so making one is completely out of the realm of possibility. I got York Sheet Metals phone # this morning and will be ordering the Director.....based on all you guys glowing reports on it....if it works as good as I think it will, can really save some time I would imagine...interesting how York will not take orders on the net...they prefer we call...thats fine...

Doc Pete
12-30-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Actually it opens just fine w/this handle.

My fault I thought we were talking about the ECS controls and not the controls on that Toro. Hmmmmmmm, I wonder who's machine that is????

Fareway Lawncare
12-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Why would the cable be pulling on the wrong angle on an ECS unit & not on a T-Bar unit? They mount the same way on my eXmarks.

Methinks you are just Confused.