PDA

View Full Version : woodchucks

hoight white
10-24-2003, 09:29 PM
hey there folks

i have a problem

i need to get some dirty woodchucks out of a rock wall without paying them rigoddamndiculous prices for an exterminator to coem and done get them pesky critters out

i tried smoking them out with a leaf fire but they doesnt come out?

can someone help me here?

thank you folks at this wonderful forum

-Hoight White, Hoight Lawns INC.

proenterprises
10-24-2003, 10:10 PM
OK heres what I would do.

Go out and buy a nice long plastic hose, then back your pickup nice and close to the wall. Now walk over to the rock wall, and get a nice big boulder and put it aside for later. Take that hose and rubberband it to the tailpipe on your truck and put it over on the wall where you think that dog gone critter it. Now take that boulder from earlier, bring it by the truck, turn the truck on, and take the boulder and put it over the gas pedal so your runnin almost in the red zone. Now pick up the hose and keep shovin it in the wall until that varmit scurrys out. Now it may take awhile depending on wether or not your trucks diesel, cause if it is, the noise will get him good.

TIP*****make sure your truck is in park when you put the boulder over the gas pedal!

Good Luck!

EvandSeby
10-24-2003, 10:56 PM
You can use a traffic flare in much the same way, just make sure the smoke goes in his hole without escaping. Also, I would like to use, "rigoddamdiculous" in everyday conversation but just haven't found the right occasion.

GardenTech
10-24-2003, 11:09 PM
Been doing this all season...went to Home Depot and bought a couple of Hav-a-Heart Traps and bait them with lettuce heads and/or apple slices...once the ground hogs are caught, you deposit them on properties THAT OWE YOU MONEY! Once they pay-up, ofter to remove the "visitors" for a fee...

HarryD
10-24-2003, 11:34 PM
I have a account that was having problems with skunks tearing up the lawn looking for grubs they called critter control they came out and set up some traps and put Cinnamon rolls in the traps. next morning they had caught 3 skunks 1 groundhog 1 raccoon and 1 cat. must be some good eating.

http://www.rpoutdoors.com/havraccagtra.html

http://www.deer-busters.com/traps-live--traps.html

Team Gopher
10-25-2003, 09:25 AM
Here is a quote from this site. (http://muextension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/wildlife/g09452.htm)

"Poisonous gas cartridges are one of the most commonly used methods of woodchuck control. When ignited and placed in the burrow system, these cartridges release carbon monoxide, killing the woodchuck. "

http://muextension.missouri.edu/explore/images/g09452art01.jpg

lawn jockey
10-25-2003, 08:18 PM
Hey!!!! Are Gophers and woodchucks in the same family? Better whatch out Gopher!!!!!! Just kidding

driggy
10-25-2003, 09:29 PM
I got caught in one of those traps trying to get to the cinnamon rolls.

NCSULandscaper
10-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Ive always had luck with the .22 long rifle. But of course thats on the farm and not at a customers house. Go buy the self triggering traps for them and stick at the entraceway to the hole. Their tunnels are built so they are safe from smoke and fumes so that will not work. They are clever because they have tunnels that do nothing but vent in clean air and funnel out all smoke and deadly fumes.

olderthandirt
10-25-2003, 11:32 PM
Seen an old farmer pull this one. He had chucks in a hillside [thats kinda like a wall] so he gets one of those 175 gal water hauling jugs, fills full and starts dumping it down just 1 hole. Then the fool gets a 55 gal. drum of gas [this was when gas was way under a dollar] and dumps it down the same hole, says the gas will float on the water. Well the old boy lites it, and I seen flame shoot out of every hole that was made by a chuck, mole,worm,ant and I think some loose tree roots for at least 50 yds. long and 30 yds high. I swear hollywood could of used the footage for a war movie. And the best part chucks were gone!
Mac

hoight white
10-26-2003, 07:41 PM
well i doen try just about everything to get them pesy vermin out

i tried the washing machine hose idea and i burned out the clutch on my f150, gonna take a few days before i fixed that up.

i dunt think i can light my clients lawn on fire, or id get fire-ED ha ha ha

and them smart cirtters just avoid those traps like nothin

anyone has some suggestions that really work?????

thank you folks

Albemarle Lawn
10-26-2003, 07:49 PM
I have a crossman airgun .177 Caliber, pointed pellet, and that woodchuck's number is up. Fast, non-cruel kill.

Escape88, Who is watching the tachometer when that boulder is laying on the gas pedal?

And so you get him out of the hole, then what????

Still, all in all the .22 Long-Rifle is a good gopher-getter.

KB

Floridalandcare
10-26-2003, 08:04 PM
If you think the 22. long will do some damage , Try hitting them with a 22.250 with a 55 grain ballistic tip . They dont stand a chance.

NCSULandscaper
10-26-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Floridalandcare
If you think the 22. long will do some damage , Try hitting them with a 22.250 with a 55 grain ballistic tip . They dont stand a chance.

.22 is less damaging than a .22250. lot less powerful

NYRookie
10-26-2003, 09:16 PM
1. Try the poison bombs, they do work. Tie 2-3 of them on a broom handle and stuff it down the hole, then throw a wet towel over this hole to keep the smoke in. Cover any other holes you can find first.

2. If you can place a cage trap with 2 doors on it in an entrance to a hole, a trap will work. Cover the bottom with dirt and make sure it is stable, throw a piece of tarp over the top. The object is to make him think he is still coming out of the hole when he is actually walking through the trap.
Sometimes you can bait them with lettuce if you put the cage very close to the hole.

3. Find both holes. If he has more than 2, cover up the other ones. Have 1 guy stand there with a large fish net over 1 hole. Another guy stuffs a garden hose down the other hole. Flood him out one hole into the net. The bad side is that you now have a real live woodchuck to deal with.

I have my state nuisance wildlife licence and this is what I do. Just remember you are responsible for an animal in a cage if anyone was to get hurt by it. So try to keep anything that would interest a child or thief out of sight. Good luck.