PDA

View Full Version : fall cleanups prices?????

rmartin
10-25-2003, 04:22 PM
When you guys do a fall cleanup on a house that you mow weekley do you charge extra money for the cleanup. I just did a house that i spent 2.5 hours cleaning leaves then i mowed...total of 3 hours. I told her i wanted 50 bucks an hour. She stated that was fine but next time only wants me to spend the hour either cleaning or mowing. how can i get both done.... I cant.

Mark P
10-25-2003, 04:27 PM
This is a test , I rergistered, But on your fall cleanups i charge 35.00 per man hr....Marks Mowing Service

BSDeality
10-25-2003, 04:39 PM
rmartin, hasn't the grass stopped growing up there in MA by now? its almost done here in CT. i did my last scheduled mow on Oct 16th. After leaf clean ups are done i'll give them one final mowing, but thats it.

rmartin
10-25-2003, 04:43 PM
grasss is still growing on my well fertilized lawns. after lastnight it should stop, however some clients want the look of a mowed lawn until the snow flies.........I know i should charge for both but i feel bad doing that.

Shuter
10-25-2003, 05:10 PM
You have to charge more due the the amount of extra work involved. My regular customers get taken care of first, then the extra "clean-up only" customers after the regulars are finished. The phone doesn't stop ringing for clean-ups every Fall, so there is enough work until the snow falls.

rmartin
10-25-2003, 05:36 PM
when i do my regulars do i charge more to pich up the leaves too?

locutus
10-25-2003, 06:00 PM
Mow and get the leaves up at the same time. Invest in some sort of bagging system. I have an accelerator aluminum bagger and it works great. I use gator blades on my Exmark and they do reduce the volume of leaves considerably. When I start to have to deal with leaves it's 2x mowing price and goes up with the volume of leaves. Dont under any circumstances give away your time. Your customers will come to expect it. My advice is to do exactly what she said work for one hour then leave no matter what it looks like. She may have a moment of clarity after that.

Shuter
10-25-2003, 09:26 PM
There is alot more to Fall clean-ups than picking up the leaves. Debris needs to be cleaned from the beds, flowers and plants trimmed, some plantings packed with mulch, and so on. So the answer is yes you need to charge alot more for Fall clean-ups do to the work load.

For some of my regular customers, I will go to the property and blow off the yard once or twice before doing the Fall clean-up. This is done in the time between the grass stops growing, all the leaves fall off the trees and the snow comes. I will usually charge the regular mowing price for this.

bobbygedd
10-25-2003, 09:33 PM
absolutely. how much do u charge to mow that customer? how long does it take? how long to clean up the leaves?

rmartin
10-25-2003, 10:09 PM
it takes a good 45-60 minutes to mow. Today i spent 2.5 hrs picking up leaves and 30 minutes mowing. I told her i wanted $50 per hour x the 3 hours i wasw there. She said it was fine..When she gave my my check i was shocked when i got home and realized it was just the 50 i charge her for the mowing. It was like i gave her a free 2.5 hours of work. Should i go back and tell her i want more?

Shuter
10-25-2003, 10:12 PM
I would not go back. Some lessons are hard to learn. Next time verify your payment before leaving.

rmartin
10-25-2003, 10:12 PM
P.S this women has BIG BUCKS. Its not like the 100 bucks is gonna break her

Shuter
10-25-2003, 10:14 PM
To me it doesn't matter how much the customer has. I have made mistakes that cost me money along the way to where I am today. I learn by them in order to make my business better.

rmartin
10-25-2003, 10:16 PM
you are right...you gotta make a few mistakes before you make some bucks i guess....

bobbygedd
10-25-2003, 10:56 PM
look, i knew a guy who cut all his customers for a price per cut, then just added #$10 a week in november for leaf cleanup. thats retarted! grass cutting and leaf cleaning are 2 completely different , they have nothing at all in common. what i do is "grasscutting"
until oct. 15th, then "leaf cleanup " oct. 15 till december. they are charged a set price for the service from oct. 15th till december. say, $300. this covers the leaf cleanup, whether i go once or 5 times.

paponte
10-26-2003, 08:50 AM
say, $300. this covers the leaf cleanup, whether i go once or 5 times.

HUH?? I hope you mean for each time your there, and not the same price regardless.

We charge hourly for cleanups. I find that you can't have a set rate per house, because there are too many factors involved. You can never lose money hourly, and how picky of a job you do, all depends on what the customer wants to pay for. Like the old saying "you get what you pay for". :cool:

bobbygedd
10-26-2003, 10:33 AM
this is for customers whos property im familiar with. it works out great. i do the leaf cleanup any way i want. one time, split it up between 3 visits, whatever i want.

HighGrass
10-26-2003, 11:47 AM
I don't bag. I charge 60/hr if I am on the mower and 35 an hour If I am just using the blower or cleaning out the cellar windows...stuff like that.
I usually give them a quote and then another for additional clean-ups.
If I mow and clean-up, again 60/hour

dlandscaping
10-26-2003, 12:27 PM
why should this guy take this as a learning experience, he didnt say that he wants $50 total, he said $50 per hour. I would go back and get the rest.

TotalCareSolutions
10-26-2003, 07:22 PM
Lessons are hard to learn...true. That has nothing to do with a woman that steals $100 from you. Get the money that you earned. Be careful to feel out each customer and each yard. Autumn cleanups can be troublesome QUOTE CAREFULLY