PDA

View Full Version : Who Designs this?

bob
10-25-2003, 05:30 PM
I've been taking care of model homes for a builder for a few years now. This is a photo of a lawn that was just installed and I'll be cutting it next year. What Einstein decided to put a patch of grass as an island with no real access to it?

1stclasslawns
10-25-2003, 06:32 PM
They are called "Landscape archetechs"

I have had more then a cross word with a few. Most are educated idiots you know they can tell you how to do it but they cant do it themselves.

To recieve a degree in L.A. it is my belife that they should do a summer in the lawn care buss.

I am arguing with one now about winterizer application I showed him soil test results from poor soil and he told me I shouldnot have put 21-7-14 50%slow release. The bank says "hes got the degree" I say Ive been doing the business when he was in diapers.

But I told them he guarentees it for 1 year they we'll do it right.

Jim

Mark P
10-25-2003, 06:36 PM
:) One that wants you to use a trimmer i reckon or pickup your 21" and carry it, some folks just don't look to far ahead.....Marks Mowing Service

geogunn
10-25-2003, 06:38 PM
I understand about the access bob.

otherwise it looks like a nice design.

are you on retainer to trim the bushes too? ;)

GEO

rodfather
10-25-2003, 07:24 PM
I have a job almost exactly like that and I cuss and swear every time we have to do it. We wind up having 2 of us carry a 22 incher over some English Boxwoods so we can mow about 150 square feet of grass. The LA for this job obviously (yours and mine) never considered how the grass was gonna be cut each week.

But, I just do what my dear old daddy used to tell me. "Son, when in doubt, just charge accordingly". And that's just what I do btw...

NC Big Daddy
10-25-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
But, I just do what my dear old daddy used to tell me. "Son, when in doubt, just charge accordingly". And that's just what I do btw...

Seems like sage advice. Lots of guys could learn from that.

Mickhippy
10-25-2003, 08:00 PM
I had one job (for half an hour) that didnt have any access to the back yard, at all! Had to push the mower, trimmer and blower through the house over carpet past the TV, out the back slideing glass door. They were units that all had 6' high fences around the yard. Un...beleiveable! Those L/S archies have no idea! The lawn would probably only get maybe an hour or so of sun a day, to top it off!

Green Goblin
10-25-2003, 08:03 PM
are you sure a LA did this ? I don't know too many LA's that design small houses like this.

Tonyr
10-25-2003, 08:29 PM
Mickhippy

Where in Qld are ya mate?

I'm in Hervey Bay.

Tony.

Mickhippy
10-25-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Tonyr
Mickhippy

Where in Qld are ya mate?

I'm in Hervey Bay.

Tony.

On the Gold Coast mate. Its warming up aint it! Looks like a good season around the corner.

Tonyr
10-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Warm yep, nice up here, bloody dry though...not much work on in the domestic area, concentrating on contracts mainly now, too many part timers cutting the guts out of it here.

But yeah, a good season coming, just need that wet stuff :)

Take care,

Tony.

PaulJ
10-25-2003, 09:39 PM
I have one that I have to take the 21" up two steps accrosss the deck oand cown tow steps on the other side to move a 20'X20' area. To top it off they have an above ground sprinkler step up(hoses and sprinkler heads that never get moved,all hooked up to a pump out of a lake) that I have to mow and trim around. small yard and it only takes about 30 minuts total and they are willing to pay what I ask.

At UN-l where I worked grounds crew for a few years there is a builking wiht a courtyard. the only way to get a mowinr in it is to go through the hall of the building. a couple times they had me take the center post out of the double doors (two sets) and drive an oold Heckendorn mower in to mow. :rolleyes:

I agree that there should be an intership requirment for all archetecs in the maintanence side of thing,

bob
10-25-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
" when in doubt, just charge accordingly".

Thats pretty much what I do with this customer. Their more interested in getting the job done on time and the right way , than asking "how much does this cost"?
I'd say its my "Golden Goose" account!

NCSULandscaper
10-25-2003, 11:02 PM
Id say its worth the amount of roundup and mulch to do away with that little bit of grass. Might be cheaper in the long run for you instead of heaving a 21" mower or throwing trimmings on the patio with a trimmer. If an architect told me to do something stupid like that id tell him to kiss my a@@ and id change it. They do this crap because they are not the ones who have to take care of it.

pinnacle
10-25-2003, 11:24 PM
Hey Bob I have designed a few gardens like the one in ya pic.

God gave you arms and hands for a reason mate. (Said in the least smart as# and nicest possible way) :)

MFG's produce 21''ers for a reason too.

When I set out to design a scape (whether it be hard soft) I'll always take maintenance into account.

I'll set up an ornamental lawn like the one in ya pic and just consider that I can lift the 21er over and in...................Not hard.

Can't you pick up ya 21'' :D

Hey Mick, Tony............We've been getting Stinkers down here and stormy arvos..................|I'm loving it!!
Cutting ALL accounts weekly.
Hope some of this grass growing weather is on the way up there for youz.

Tonyr
10-25-2003, 11:38 PM
Hey Alex,

How are ya?

Mate gettin' the wind n all, storm last night only 5 mils...
being on the coast we only have sand, so when it rains the sands drys out quick and we lose growth, amd being as it doesn't rain here anymore on a regular basis ride on mowing is almost dead domestically, no contract, no mow, domestic stuff is too cut throat in these coastal towns, can't compete with dad n dave, ma n pa etc, people here want cheap, not good, and I can't afford to work cheap if ya know what I mean.

I'd rather stay home in the pool than go out and slog my guts for nothing for some miser and be lucky to make it worth the effort...:)

hey Alex, have you seen many of the new Kubota 28 hp diesels ztr's around?

See ya!

Tony.

pinnacle
10-26-2003, 12:01 AM
G'day, Tony!

I'm well thanks mate.

Know what you saying about the coast bud..............I have around 13 accounts in Byron Bay (20min Nor/east of me)
They aint no fun.

As I type theres a BIG rolling front moving in of the coast................. looks like hail.

Pool ay??...................If we were all so lucky :D

I was just reading your other post on the Kubota's and I really think you should have a look at the 04' Toro withe the full fab torbo force deck.
But I have not seen any Kubota ZTR's around here. The only people that run Z's here are me, one other LCO and the Macadamia farmers. All Toro except for my Danes
The first machine I owned was an L/C Diesel Kubota (36'' garden tractor)..............bloody good machine too.

Personaly I wouldn't go there mate..................Have a good look at the Toro.
And better yet have a look at Greatdanes LX Charriot models.

I have run GD for 21/2 years with minimal down time and excellant results....................Can't hurt to demo!

But yes mate, I would have a real good look around if ya going an upper modle comercial machine.

See ya mate................Gota go wack a tarp on the ute. (Dam hail!)

Sh#t I still gota go to the bottlo too...............Gota run.

Mickhippy
10-26-2003, 10:17 PM
Hey Pinnacle an Tony, How was that hail. A mate was parked at the local RSL at Currumbin and the place got nailed by the hail. hehe! Some guy went out to save his car and got hit on the head and got KO'ed and had to go hospital. Broken windows, huge dints in the cars, flooding in the RSL. I drove passed this morning and, what a mess. This was only maybe 5 k's away from me and we only got the little ones. Be a good time to be a glazzier or panel beater. Biggest hail stones anyone has ever seen here!

Tonyr
10-26-2003, 10:30 PM
Hey Mick,

ya can have them there big hail stones ol' mate!

We got the big wind, no rain, no hail...need that rain though.

Hervey Bay looks like Egypt....weeellll, ya know, bugger all grass put it that way :)

I do subbie work for a bloke down your way, Ian Dann at Mount Mason. He has a Feris IS3000.

If you get nice rain, want to share?

Catcha!

Tony.

GrassBustersLawn
10-26-2003, 11:01 PM
30 seconds with a string trimmer ought to do it. If they b - itch about using a trimmer tell them you'll cut an access hole (remove a couple of trees for $100 so you can use your mower.

Mike

Mickhippy
10-26-2003, 11:01 PM
Hey tony, not workin today? Me neither, start the week tomorrow! Good for getting over the weekend if you know what I mean. Indy 300 (or should I say 100) farse yesterday!

Dont know Dann but there are a couple of million of us here. LOL Had a bit of rain lately, which is good. Were still on water restrictions etc but everythings greening up. Just a little more heat and it'll be mad.

As for shareing rain........... No! Maybe after another 24" or so.

Later!

Tonyr
10-26-2003, 11:40 PM
Hey Mick,

Nah takin' some time off...my Toro is in getting a new drive shaft, gear spline etc, this is week 2 that it has been in the service shop, lucky it is under warrantee, parts have to come from the US. So I'm having a bludge for a bit, not taking on any new domestic stuff unless it is good, sick of these lousy locals. Contracts are my interest now.

Too hot to work anyway:)

C/mon, share just a bit of rain?

I'll send a bucket LOL!

Tony.

MOW ED
10-27-2003, 08:12 AM
I feel like I gotta crack a Southwark and join in! BTW anyone seen Karl from Southside Slashing recently?

Just kiddin guys, its neat to see an International exchange of ideas.;)

Sorry to drift from your post Bob. We have one like that and it gets the string trimmer treatment. Of course we don't fertilize it and every now and then it gets a close cut but it doesn't belong there anyway.

Mickhippy
10-28-2003, 02:21 AM
Tony, No damit! No water for you! LOL Next time I go to the Loo I'll think of ya dry lawns!

Too bad about the Toro. Is it a ZTR? One of the reasons I went a tractor is because of parts etc. There just isnt enough ZTR's here yet. Maybe in a couple of years or so.

I'm 95% domestic and 50% acerage at the moment and pretty happy except for the occasional, want to get involved, know it all owner. You know the type!:angry:

For instance hows this, This owner does all the trimming etc and all I do is mow. I get $50 for an hours running around which is ok but resently shes come out and "TOLD" me to mow the front of the house lower, Its Kykuyu so it doesnt like getting mowed to low. Anyway, I said that the only way I will do that is if I do the whole lot like it so I dont have to stop, start to adjust the height. When I finished, she says it looked good and was very happy, then she tells me that shes been mowing infront of the house with her push mower every other week. Its like, no wonder it was so short and when I mowed it, it didnt look like I'd touched it. Now the whole lawns got these scalped brown spots and will probably fill up with weeds etc. Bloody women! She likes the brown spots and it doesnt matter what I say to her. Oh well.

Sorry for jibbering. Just had to tell someone, ya know!

Do a rain dance:blob3:

Later

Tonyr
10-28-2003, 03:14 AM
Ha, Ha, Ha, mate, I know the exact type!

See we are the dumb ones, spose they are right, can't be too bright cutting grass for a living and copping crap from know-it-alls all the time :)

This mowing low mentality amazes me, around here the shorter the grass the deader it becomes and looks worse than the same dry grass cut at 2 inches.

Long leaf in summer so the plant can survive, short leaf starves it, can't photosynthiseise ( can't spell), can't store energy.

I refuse to cut below 1.5 inches, 2 inch is my normal cut length.

Got another call from the prison up here to do more grounds maintenance because the tender forms aren't done yet, I did a big cleen up in July, now they want another, including weed spraying along their fences and roads and inner prison garden areas and want CHEAP....the security crap takes so much time, they haven't even figured out how I'm to get my stuff through the security section...LOL.

They want all this work done with so many ifs and buts, and now I'm quoting against some sort of aboriginal work group, crikey, how do ya win.

I had to explain with tongue in cheek that my work isn't cheap and after my work history there thought it odd to have me compete as they know my fees already....dunno what's going on.

Get this, since July they have been telling me the prison perimeter is 100 acres, I've never mowed it, only the front stuff, today I went for my tour, now they say 15 acres, which isn't right either, more like 25...buggers! I have been stressing out over buying a new ztr all this time thinking I had this job, not much opposition for this kinda work, 15 bloody acres, grrrr!

New prison, new boss, lots of confusion, and lots of weird area calculations.

Even a guard now has to follow my mower and me around everywhere I go, gee he is in for a boring time, I'm pretty steady in this heat here :)

Mick, now mate, buddy, I'm now pleadin' with ya....bucket is on courier, please fill with RAIN and return.

Sorry folks for me being off topic n all, just another inconsiderate bloody mower man as they say :)

Tony.

Turf Dancer
10-28-2003, 04:54 AM
There is an assisted living not far from here that had lawn installed in a courtyard that was in the middle of the building with patio around it ! After they got done they said hey, how are we supposed to access this with a mower ? It was an area about 30x40 and they had to tear out the lawn and bring in a concrete pumper and fill it in with concrete before they could open the facility ! It took almost 13 yards of concrete from what I heard !

Mickhippy
10-29-2003, 04:43 AM
Tony, If I was a chick, I'd slap ya face! NO MEANS NO! OK! hehe

Good to hear that some commercials a buggers too! I think my missesus? uncle works at a prison somewhere up there. Dont know if he's still there though. You could probably do a little sideline business in the prison, if ya carefull. Nah, bad idea.

Tonyr
10-29-2003, 06:51 AM
G'Day Mick,

Gee, here I was thinkin' you were just a big tart 'n all! ??
I like a good ol' slappin LOL!

I never thought of trading at prison, be about the only way I can make good money up here out of mowing, well handling grass anyway, ha, ha.

catcha, tryin' to rejuninate my fluid level, things ya gotta do :)
love these 30 packs....wash down the dust.

Tony.

thfireman
10-29-2003, 11:54 PM
I had a customer that built a new house and then had me follow to the new house to cut. I was surprised to find a 20 X30 court yard surrounded by his house with nice plush sod installed. The only problem was the only way to reach it was through his front or rear double glass doors and across Italian marble and out a set of french doors. I suggested he get a electric mower to store out there and just leave it there. He said he didnt want it to be seen and no where to store it anyway. I cut his grass for a year before he sold and moved to Florida. I pushed my 21" through his house every week during the season. His house keeper cleaned up after I left and everyone was happy. What an experience.

lawnkid
10-30-2003, 12:23 AM
Haha rotflmao, that's too funny with going though the house. Would love to seee that.

Dr. Mow
10-30-2003, 01:51 AM
I would turn that area into a seasonal bed and charge $200- 300 each season to change it out there is big money in sesonal color.

Mickhippy
10-30-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Tonyr
G'Day Mick,

Gee, here I was thinkin' you were just a big tart 'n all! ??
I like a good ol' slappin LOL!

I never thought of trading at prison, be about the only way I can make good money up here out of mowing, well handling grass anyway, ha, ha.

catcha, tryin' to rejuninate my fluid level, things ya gotta do :)
love these 30 packs....wash down the dust.

Tony.

Been called worse than Tart back in the day so I can live with that.

Its Friday about 1pm, just knocked off and just about to crack a Real Mccoy, $35 for 24. Thats a good deal! Mates band playin tonight so its a good time to warm up for that. Supposed to be another storm this arvo so will have some special FX maybe.

Later!