PDA

View Full Version : Bagging Leaves

Mowerboys
10-25-2003, 08:15 PM
When I am bagging leaves with my Encore 48" WB the leaves shoot out the front and onto grass I just mowed, any suggestions how to fix this?

locutus
10-25-2003, 08:28 PM
anti-blowout baffle. I think you are going to have to fabricate one yourself though.

TRex
10-25-2003, 08:33 PM
I have the same problem and I am going to try standard lift blades and then I am going to try gators. Mine is not to bad just about 10" on the discharge side and till the blades get here I just overlap that amount on the side I just cut.

locutus
10-25-2003, 08:38 PM
Nothing helped my blowout problem until I fabricated an anti-blowout baffle. Tried all kinds of blade combinations, including gators.

Darryl G
10-25-2003, 08:46 PM
I'm assuming the leaves are coming out the front on the discharge side. You can always mow around in circles/squares "homeowner style" rather than back and forth so that it all blows inward. You can then mow some straight stripes after you're done if you want.

You can also play around with reducing your RPMs a hair, changing your ground speed a little, and adjusting your deck height. I get a lot less blowout at 2.5 inches than 3 or above on my Exmark WB.

dfor
10-26-2003, 07:53 AM
Gator blades have worked to reduce blowout. And also having the front of the deck pitched lower.

Roger
10-26-2003, 03:48 PM
I have an Exmark 36" Viking w/b. I've experimented and found the best combo to date:

Gator hi-lift blades, Grass Gobbler, modified striping pattern.

The first two items are easily understood. BTW, I typically use a cloth bagger, but believe the Gobbler works better because of the holes permit better air flow. The blowout problem is created primarily because of disturbing the air flow under the deck and the holes in the Gobbler permit more air to flow out of the bagger.

The modified striping pattern is as follows:

1. Forward pass (uncut on the right side).
2. Reverse pass, but skipping 24-30 inches. This leaves the right corner of the mower moving through uncut grass.
3. Next forward pass covers the uncut strip. The strip is a bit smaller than a normal pass and the blowout problem is nearly eliminated. The blowout problem will vary and the width of the strip may have to be smaller, depending upon the grass height (better if the grass is a bit taller) and the extent of the leaf cover.
4. Reverse pass, again skipping a 24-30 inch strip.

The effect is forward/reverse striping, but the order is merely changed. Also, I believe that moving fast is better than moving slow -- leaves get "stuffed" under the deck more consistently. And, volume isn't a problem.

This may be worth a try for some of you. I hate the round-n-round pattern, mowing to the inside (clockwise rotation around the area). It looks lilke a typical homeowner example!

The Gator blades help mulch up the leaves reducing volume. I've used a single pass, despite the frequence dumping. The time for the entire job is less than double passes, or clearing the leaves whole, then mowing.

Of course, I only use this method when I MUST take the leaves off. They get mulched (double passes) where possible. Some homeowners simply will not tolerate leaving much trace of leaf cover.