PDA

View Full Version : Fall Pre-Em CGM application

Organically_Green
10-25-2003, 08:43 PM
Hello all;
I'm in Northwest Arkansas and have been using CGM on most of my residential lawns for several years in the spring and summer as both a fertilizer and a pre-emergent. One thing I haven't tried is using it to combat the cool season weeds that are inundating some of the lawns. Has anyone tried CGM in the fall or am I stuck using the spade another year?

tennissippi
10-29-2003, 08:22 PM
What is CGM?

Organically_Green
10-30-2003, 03:04 PM
Corn Gluten Meal- it's a type of animal feed that can be used as a fertilizer/pre-emergent weed control application.

One clarification: I just realized how vague my post was regarding type of grass the treatment is being used on. I want to use it on Bermuda lawns.

Thanks

Dchall_San_Antonio
10-31-2003, 02:30 AM
I don't have bermuda and don't use CGM myself (shock!), but from what I read and hear, it works well IF you get the timing right. Lots of spring weeds are sprouting right now - at least here in South Central Texas. Those are supposedly killed out with CGM now.

kobisk
11-04-2003, 07:47 PM
So, to utilize corn gluten meal as pre-emergent it must be applied as weeds are beginning to sprout?

Dchall_San_Antonio
11-06-2003, 02:14 AM
Ideally you want to get the CGM down right before the seeds sprout. Inasmuch as not all seeds sprout on the same day, you can time your application by when the very first seed sprouts. Can you ever find that first sprouted seed? Not at all.