PDA

View Full Version : What to Use???

precisioncut
10-26-2003, 02:33 AM
Wondering what is the best mower to use? Side discharge, mulching, or bagger?
Many around here use the walker mower with the grass catcher. I am worried about using a side discharge unit because of the clumps and clippings left behind. A mulching mower would be nice but what if I mow a yard with heavy weeds, it just promotes new growth for them.
I'm asking because I'm ready to buy my first rider or walkie, a big step for me. My business has done well with just my push mower but it is time to move up and be more productive. Any comments would help greatly.

Thank you,
Precision Cut Lawn Care

Rustic Goat
10-26-2003, 03:03 AM
Do some searching here;
new mower
best mower
what kind of mower
etc
also research mulching subject by searching here also

kels
10-26-2003, 09:04 AM
If I could have only one mower, it would be a walker for these reasons:

1. leaves a clean cut if grass is wet from heavy dew and/or rain.
2. cleans up nasty spring growth.
3. cleans up leaves like nothing else.
4. change deck size.
5. attachments makes it versatile.
6. cleans up curbs, drive ways and small parking areas/lots.

This is all of course my opinion, and results from my experience and conditions, since you mentioned other LCO's in your area use walkers they are probably ideal for your conditions as well, do yourself a favor and go demo one if you have not already.

NfdBrian
11-01-2003, 08:35 PM
Precision Cut,
I was in the same boat as you earlier this year. I wanted a Walker really bad but couldn't justify $10,000 on a mower while just starting out in business. I ended up talking to a few locals and I went with a Wright Stander. I have heard that the GHS system clogs very easily with wet grass. I have never used one before so I can't tell you from a personal experience. I went with the 52 inch deck with the 23hp Kawasaki engine. I just put a set of high lift blades and they make a world of difference. It was only $6800 with a Grass Gobbler catcher. I am going to get a Walker eventually but I need to see how business goes before blowing $10,000 on a mower, plus I would be in divorce court:cry: . Good luck in your mower shopping.

Brian