PDA

View Full Version : Leaf drop: late, normal, earlier ?

GarPA
10-26-2003, 05:01 AM
Seems like we got faked out again. Last year after the severe drought, we thought we might have an early leaf drop but then the moisture came in OCT and the trees hung on to their leaves to make food for survival. Now this year, with all the rain, I thought we'd have at least a "normal" leaf drop time frame but I see many trees that are still dark green(aside from the orn. pears which always fall late).

So, are your leaves about on schedule for your area? I think here in PA we're a couple weeks late as I always remember having alot of leaves for Halloween decorating...but not this year.

Good ol Mother Nature is interesting to observe...

David Haggerty
10-26-2003, 05:45 AM
Maples are 50% bare. Some other species are completely bare.
I dunno.. Oct 26th Maybe this is normal for sw Ohio.

Dave

Ax Man
10-26-2003, 05:49 AM
We started about right , then last Wednesday we got heavy winds, which took out lots of leaves, branches and trees. But it seems that we are still basicly on schedule. The oaks are just in color now, Norway Maples are still green as well as the Bradford pears that you mentioned.
(I'm in western NY, about mid way north and south, our elevation varies between 1000 and 2200 feet)

MOW ED
10-26-2003, 06:56 AM
We are close to being right on if not a little slow. I have always heard that it is light or lavk of that makes them drop. My signal tree is an ash in my yard and it always drops first. It did that again this year.
Our stubborn ones are the silver maples. I have a few that hold their coat until late in the season. I usually figure to be done at Thanksgiving weekend.

KenH
10-26-2003, 07:02 AM
I think we are a little slow here. Started falling quick, then stopped.

rodfather
10-26-2003, 08:40 AM
Pretty much on schedule I think...I just hope the white stuff holds off till they're all down and picked up.

GarPA
10-26-2003, 11:19 AM
will the miracles ever cease Rod...you actually mention the white stuff without tacking on the word "Cha Ching" .....wow

mdb landscaping
10-26-2003, 11:24 AM
i think after the big rains and winds come tomorrow, we should be right on schedule. plan on starting cleanups at work late next week. usually cleanups start right around halloween and it looks like that will happen this year as well. got 1 leaf box on, and one more to put on.

lawnkid
10-26-2003, 11:28 AM
We're about normal tthis year. Last yea rI remembe I was doing cleanups even after the first snowfall because there was still leaves on trees. Our maples and oaks still have most of their leave but on some properties they are mostly off so some trees are different than others but for the most part we still got leaves on the trees. Everyone have fun with their cleanups now. ;)

Let it Grow
10-26-2003, 11:29 AM
It's the lack of light as well as the temperature. It's been real warm here except for the last couple days. It's supposed to get down to 10 degrees this next week, and that's COLD for this area. It usually gets that cold maybe a day or two in Jan. or Feb. not October!

rodfather
10-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by GarPA
will the miracles ever cease Rod...you actually mention the white stuff without tacking on the word "Cha Ching" .....wow

Actually Gar, I was in fact thinking of the ol mighty dollar btw...especailly since a buddy of mine decided to quit the snowplowing biz just this past week and gave me his 26 accounts. I've done them all a couple of times in the past when he went away to visit relatives in FL. Now, what I'm thinking is not so much the snowplowing $$$, but what I can sell them come next springtime!

Ah, wtf...CHA CHINGGGGGGGGGGGG:D

maple city
10-26-2003, 12:59 PM
We're in pretty good shape here. Last year, we were doing leaves in December. Our trees are about 50% bare. What stinks is that the grass is still growing here. I do think that we will be done with leaves before December.

tiedeman
10-26-2003, 05:04 PM
leaves are falling really early here. We are way past our peak. Nothing but down hill from here for me.

GarPA
10-26-2003, 05:08 PM
as far as the grass still growing, I;m convinced the dam stuff is going to grow right up to New Years Eve...

GreenQuest Lawn
10-26-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
leaves are falling really early here. We are way past our peak. Nothing but down hill from here for me.

Not in West Michigan, My biggest week is usually 3rd week of October, I picked up very few leaves last week. Heck I do not se my self Starting finals till at least the second week of November.

Gene $immons
10-26-2003, 05:58 PM
Oklahoma City's leaves will start falling heavily in the next 14 days.

Right on schedule.