PDA

View Full Version : toroZ500?

jeffex
10-26-2003, 07:28 AM
Anyone have the new toro Z500 with the new style deck. Their web site shows it mowing over leaves without any kick out. Just looking for any reviews on their new deck. It seems to be a copy of the trivantage deck with an adjustable baffle system for different conditions. The old SFS decks seemed to be what people complained about in cut quality. I was told you had to double cut the clippings .

Team Gopher
10-26-2003, 07:57 AM
Hi Jeff,

Here is a post that discussed the Toro.

Gravely 260Z vs. 04' Toro Z500 (http://server2.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54417)

TLS
10-26-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by jeffex
Their web site shows it mowing over leaves without any kick out.

Simple TRICK photography!

Nothing more.

Almost EVERY lawnmower add or brochure NEVER shows a unit MOWING. Just some cheezy male model with a flannel shirt on sitting on a mower that isn't even turned on.

The least they could do is make the area BEHIND the mower LOOK like it was just cut!

qualitylandscaping
10-26-2003, 10:36 AM
If you guys look at a John Deere Z-Trak brochure, on the Quik Trak page it shows a quik trak doing zero turns.. The throttle is at the bottom which means they are contradicting the statement "run your mowers at full throttle to keep your pumps in the best condition"..

Its all in the advertising...

cblackwe
10-26-2003, 04:23 PM
There was another post that discussed someones demo of the Toro within the past month or two. My demo experience was a great one as well. Well built machine, will probably buy one! Do a search on "Toro Z500" and read the ones that come up. I do not know how to link you to it...Good luck.

Jusmowin
10-26-2003, 08:31 PM
Im looking for a Z in the spring and have narrowed it down to a Toro z 500 or a Hustler Z as the dealer I use sell both. So over the winter I plan on reasearching as much as possible.

MOW ED
10-27-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by TLS
Simple TRICK photography!

Nothing more.

Almost EVERY lawnmower add or brochure NEVER shows a unit MOWING. Just some cheezy male model with a flannel shirt on sitting on a mower that isn't even turned on.

The least they could do is make the area BEHIND the mower LOOK like it was just cut!

What you talkin bout Willis????:D :p :D

Cheesy, Yes being that I am in Wisconsin. Male model with a flannel shirt- well a t-shirt and jeans for me.
If you don't remember I was the Gravely dude for a year or so. No pay. They just asked me to take some shots for the website.

Sorry for straying but I got a laugh out of that.

Envy Lawn Service
10-27-2003, 06:52 PM
I am supposed to demo a Z 500 in the field Wednesday. I'll let you know what I think.

Lawn-Scapes
10-27-2003, 09:17 PM
jeff.. I demoed the 72" Toro about 10 days ago and it was nice. There's a guy (named Chris) around here that will meet you at any of your jobs and let you demo any Toro machine you'ld like. I don't have his card handy but I will try and find his number for you. If I can't find it you can give the guys at BackYard Power a call and they should have it. He works for Toro and just drives around the MD area to demo the machines.

-Tom

Mark P
10-27-2003, 09:37 PM
:) I demoed the 580 series 28hp Kohler EFI, Turboforce Deck, and deluxe seat, had alot of good features, the ROP comes standerd i had it for three days it was a verynice machine, pricey, around 10K, my dealer is supposed to drop me off a new 52" 27hp Kohler next week with the cloth bagger just wanted to see how it perfroms.......Marks Mowing Service

4-Leaf
10-28-2003, 08:55 AM
LMAO @ the seatbelt. Where is your helmet?

Mark P
10-30-2003, 12:17 AM
Jeffex i run a 62" SFS Toro and it cuts great, the deck is designed to cut off and throw out the length of grass your cutting, so if you cut very tall grass you will have to double cut it, but does fine for weekly cuts, i run doubles on mine......Marks Mowing Service

jeffex
10-30-2003, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have spoken with Chris too about a demo. He works for the distributer in this area. I am considering dumping my full time job in 2004 and want to ride.

DieselDeere
10-30-2003, 11:18 PM
Mark P- Did you like the control levers?

Envy Lawn Service
10-31-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
I am supposed to demo a Z 500 in the field Wednesday. I'll let you know what I think.

Jeffex,

Get that demo!!! That's the best way to find out if you like it or not. Just try to demo the exact unit you would be interested in buying. I didn't really have a choice. I ended up on the 23 hp Kohler 60" deck (Z-553). I would have rather demoed one like Mark P or say a 25 kawi or 27 kohler.

With that being said, I liked the demo, but I can't be real fair in speaking a lot about it. I run 25 hp on 48" mowers that also weigh in at 400 lbs less than the Z-553.

So let me just say this. The only things I didn't like about the Z-500 were...

#1 - Didn't like the left tank mounted controls.
#2 - Didn't like the way the 60" deck was off set to the left.
#3 - Didn't like the narrow drive tires on the 52" model I looked at.

Now, when you demo take time to check it out closely. The small details of this new mower is what makes it so nice. Check my old thread for the small details and be sure to watch that Toro video.

Envy Eats Crow (Z-500) (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52072&highlight=z500)

DieselDeere,

You didn't ask me but I'll tell you anyways! I love those fat control levers. I can see them being the new industry standard, replacing the skinny ones we have now.

TLS
10-31-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service

#2 - Didn't like the way the 60" deck was off set to the left.

While your probably not the ONLY one that feels this way, your certainly the MINORITY on this BENEFICIAL design aspect.

Its offset to allow better trim side offset. Almost every 52" and up mower is offset to some degree. The more the better! Lets you stick that deck in places normally done with a push mower.

Only slight downside is that it is more prone to scalping or gougeing on that side. Small price to pay for the productivity an offset deck gives you.

If you've never used one, yes its going to be strange. But once you use one, you'll hate it when/if you have to do without!

Envy Lawn Service
10-31-2003, 01:38 AM
TLS,

Yes I'm probably the minority on this one. I just don't like it. The worst example of it that I can think of is the 52" Lazer Z HP. All the trim on the left and none on the right. While this is beneficial for trimming, it is also designed like you should mow with it in a counter clockwise circle pattern. I stripe my lawns and I didn't like having to overlap tire tracks on the right hand side of the mower.

However, the primary reason I didn't like the offset on the 60' was because I didn't feel it was needed. Typically on a 60" mower, if the deck is centered, there is still plenty of trim on both sides. This WAS the case on the Z-553 in my opinion.

Envy Lawn Service
10-31-2003, 02:52 AM
I'm happy with the left side trim on my Kees.

Envy Lawn Service
10-31-2003, 02:55 AM
And on the right. It's even with a few inches on each side. Notice it's a 48" deck. You don't find that on many others.

TLS
10-31-2003, 10:22 AM
Yeah,

Any other company's 48"ers have a WIDER track width with NO trim side. So you should consider yourself lucky that you have some overhang.

You want trim side, take a look at an Exmark Lazer 72" machine! You could eat dinner on the overhang!