PDA

View Full Version : Side Catcher That Easily Empties Into Garbage Bag


DieselDeere
10-26-2003, 08:44 PM
What side catcher will easily empty into a garbage bag?

locutus
10-26-2003, 09:07 PM
I have an accelerator xl aluminum catcher and was looking for the same thing. I found them at home depot . Husky 55 gal clear bags. They fit over the rear opening of the catcher by sort of stretching the bag over the opening. The bag stays on by itself. I then simply remove the catcher from the mower and invert it. Everything falls perfectly into the bag, no spilling and the bag has just enough room left over to tie it up.

Roger
10-27-2003, 02:35 PM
Are you suggesting to take off the rear door, using the bag that is put over the back as the "back door?"

I don't have an Accelerator (sp?) catcher, but have looked at their web page. I see the catcher has a back door that is removable. I have a Grass Gobbler (yea -- so heavy, but it is what I started with several years ago), and perhaps the same idea would work as you suggest. Gobbler has a removable rear door.

I have a few places that require bagging with my Exmark. I am able to leave the bags at the curb for trash haulers, so need to put clippings in plastic bags. Presently, I use 33 gal barrel, lined with a plastic bag. But, getting clippings from the catcher to the barrel is sloppy and time consuming. I also use a cloth bagger (lighter than the Gobbler), and it is more difficult to dump clippings into the barrel - great for dumping onto tarps!

Jimbo
10-27-2003, 03:36 PM
I have the same problem. I like to put clippings into trash bags but I have not found a good solution yet. This is definately something that needs attention. I guess its time to quit looking for existing ideas and actually design what I need.

Sounds like a good winter project starting to form.

Jimbo

locutus
10-27-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Roger
Are you suggesting to take off the rear door, using the bag that is put over the back as the "back door?"

I don't have an Accelerator (sp?) catcher, but have looked at their web page. I see the catcher has a back door that is removable. I have a Grass Gobbler (yea -- so heavy, but it is what I started with several years ago), and perhaps the same idea would work as you suggest. Gobbler has a removable rear door.

I have a few places that require bagging with my Exmark. I am able to leave the bags at the curb for trash haulers, so need to put clippings in plastic bags. Presently, I use 33 gal barrel, lined with a plastic bag. But, getting clippings from the catcher to the barrel is sloppy and time consuming. I also use a cloth bagger (lighter than the Gobbler), and it is more difficult to dump clippings into the barrel - great for dumping onto tarps! Roger, when my catcher fills up I stop my mower, remove the rear door to the catcher and stretch the 55 gal plastic bag over the opening. I then lift the catcher off of the mower and turn it upside down. The 55 gal bag stays on by itself because it is on the rear of the catcher pretty tight. I had the same delima as you about how to dump my leaves/ clippings in an efficient manner. This method solved it for me. I will be happy to explain further. Just let me know if you have any questions.

Roger
10-27-2003, 03:49 PM
Good info ... I understand. I'll have to try this method with my Gobbler.

I've really struggled with this issue. I get very upset about the time spent - mower is idling, not moving forward across the grass while I'm fiddling with bags. I made good progress this season, finding the right barrels, right bags, way to hold the bags, way to tie them, where to place the barrels, etc. My consolation in spending some time is that I'm not hauling away the clippings -- yea!!

This season, I have left nearly 700 bags at the curb (working on 10th box of 70 bags).

locutus
10-27-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Roger
Good info ... I understand. I'll have to try this method with my Gobbler.

I've really struggled with this issue. I get very upset about the time spent - mower is idling, not moving forward across the grass while I'm fiddling with bags. I made good progress this season, finding the right barrels, right bags, way to hold the bags, way to tie them, where to place the barrels, etc. My consolation in spending some time is that I'm not hauling away the clippings -- yea!!

This season, I have left nearly 700 bags at the curb (working on 10th box of 70 bags). Holy clippings bagman! You should defintely give my method a try. No barrels. No walking over to the barrel. I keep 3 or4 bags in my pocket so Im ready to empty my catcher immedately.

Jimbo
10-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Locutus- What size bagger do you have?? How well do those 55 Gallon bags hold up with all the weight?
I really need a solution to this problem and it sounds like you have found it! I hope that all these catchers have the same size rear end so that the bags will fit the one I need for my Scag.

Jimbo

locutus
10-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo
Locutus- What size bagger do you have?? How well do those 55 Gallon bags hold up with all the weight?
I really need a solution to this problem and it sounds like you have found it! I hope that all these catchers have the same size rear end so that the bags will fit the one I need for my Scag.

Jimbo Jimbo, I have the exgcxl which I think stands for Exmark Grass Catcher extra large. I have yet to rip a bag. I was surprised at the strength of these bags. They are husky clear 55 gal bags at home depot. Peter at the accelerator forum on this site would be able to answer your question concerning the size of the rear openings, although I would quess they would be the same if you get the xl size. Happy to answer any more questions you may have.

locutus
10-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Jimbo, I had also considered using some sort of bugee cord to hold the bags on while dumping the catcher if the bags didnt fit as tightly as they did.

DieselDeere
10-30-2003, 09:18 PM
I went to my HD they had several different types, if you get a change could you check the box for how thick they are? (MIL thick, I think)

Runner
10-30-2003, 09:29 PM
Somebody makesa product just for this. I've seen it. It's a holder for the bags, that hold them upright, but it has like a large funnel shaped top. It's wide open, but the edgews are large and taper down toward the bag. I wish I could remember whare I saw these things! This would be just the ticket for what you guys are looking for.

locutus
10-30-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by DieselDeere
I went to my HD they had several different types, if you get a change could you check the box for how thick they are? (MIL thick, I think) I left the box in the back of my truck and it disintegrated in the rain. The name brand was Husky. They were in a blue box that read "55gal drum liners". I hope this helps.

DieselDeere
10-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Yes, I saw a blue box, thanks.

Runner
10-31-2003, 12:40 AM
O.k., Here's the thing (or one like it) that I was thinking of.
http://www.choiceproductsinc.com/trashfunnel.html

stevo22
10-31-2003, 12:59 AM
here is what i use...i also bought the 55gal liners...i have two 55gal drums w/ the bottoms cut out...do not cut the top out...the top is a re-inforced ring for forklifting...cut you two hand nothces and make some air vent cuts all over it so the suction is not an issue when you pull the bag out...mine are plastic...couldn't imagine using netal ones...

locutus
10-31-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by stevo22
here is what i use...i also bought the 55gal liners...i have two 55gal drums w/ the bottoms cut out...do not cut the top out...the top is a re-inforced ring for forklifting...cut you two hand nothces and make some air vent cuts all over it so the suction is not an issue when you pull the bag out...mine are plastic...couldn't imagine using netal ones... Stevo,I dont line my catcher with the bags, Just stretch bag over catcher door and dump contents.