PDA

View Full Version : mexican labor force

terryh
10-26-2003, 11:13 PM
i was reading an article in this forum about the mexican work force ... it was a few months ago but i am intrested in hire them for my work .... does anyone have any info on the best way to go about it , or websites to look for

EagleLandscape
10-26-2003, 11:27 PM
My uncle owns a company that specializes in locating legal mexicans for work. I'll find out his info and give it to ya.

troblandscape
10-27-2003, 12:20 AM
I got my Mexican workers from talking to other landscapers and getting their employees relatives, I will always hire Mexican laborers, They never complain...:D

TRex
10-27-2003, 07:29 AM
Ask wal-mart they probably still have a few.

rotgg
10-27-2003, 07:58 AM
u could always ask my friend he was fined 10,000 for having them

Fritz
10-27-2003, 08:08 AM
Be cautious on how you respond - DEA and FBI post similar questions.

On the other hand, if WalMart can do it......

lost mountain
10-27-2003, 08:40 AM
I'm looking for a service such as jwingfield2k mentions - I know of one but they are too far away to make it practical. Anyone know of a company on the NW side of Atlanta?

newleaflandscape
10-27-2003, 12:02 PM
My dad is a farmer and has two working for him. He wouldnt trade one of them for ten white guys as he always says now. Just like guys here though, there are damn good ones and damn shitty ones. Whats so nice for him though is he provides there housing wich is a mile down the road from his farm. He doesnt have to worry about them not showing up is the best thing, if they dont show he gets in the truck and knocks on there door. They are both legal here on vacation visas and one even just got a driver license. I can say it was one of the best decisions he ever made getting them. Helping Hands is a place that provides this service of finding them in alot of areas. You might wnna try and see if there are any in your area.

dvmcmrhp52
10-27-2003, 12:08 PM
Vacation visa's??????

Cheesedawg1
10-27-2003, 12:19 PM
How much do you pay troblandscape?

AztlanLC
10-27-2003, 12:27 PM
Maybe he meant to say H2b visas

terryh
10-27-2003, 01:09 PM
yes the HB2 visas is the way i would want to go .... nothing illegal ... i would appreciate any info or websites you can give me ... i have had it with the white labor force ... i know that sounds bad but it is true

proenterprises
10-27-2003, 04:21 PM
OK This is a thing that gets me REALLY HEATED when people do this:angry: So listen good.

IN ORDER FOR AN INDIVIDUAL TO BE A "MEXICAN" THEY NEED TO HAVE COME FROM MEXICO

proenterprises
10-27-2003, 04:25 PM
sorry-got cut off...heres what i need to say.

Many people refer to any individual with those looks (ie skin color) with the stereotypical and general term that they are a mexican. Most of these men do not come from mexico but other countries such as; brazil, columbia, ecuador, venezuala and belize.

Some people just feel that they should ride the deragatory race train and call every single one of them MEXICANS. Well, news flash, there not.

The South American labor force ("mexicans" for the sterotypical) is very strong and a leader in the manual labor that gets done in the USA. Think about it...if we didnt have that labor force, who would work for us? Chances are we would have a very hard time finding people to. These fine men enjoy our industry, dont mind long hours and hot days and will do good work.

SO, before we go and generize their character, lets take a step back first.

Doc Pete
10-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by rotgg
u could always ask my friend he was fined 10,000 for having them

You can't hire the one that molested and then killed a 13 year old boy in Morristown, NJ three years ago:angry:

lawnman_scott
10-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
You can't hire the one that molested and then killed a 13 year old boy in Morristown, NJ three years ago:angry:

Thats ok, he probably doenst want to. Cant hire John Wane Gasy either, but whats your point anyway?

Doc Pete
10-27-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by lawnman_scott
Thats ok, he probably doenst want to. Cant hire John Wane Gasy either, but whats your point anyway?

Well at least in NJ, 99% of the people that our church offers aid to speak Spanish, can't speak English, have 3 kids, and own a $500 car with $3,000 worth of tires and wheels...............
You need to get your priorities straight..........
That's only one of my points............

lawnman_scott
10-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Well at least in NJ, 99% of the people that our church offers aid to speak Spanish, can't speak English, have 3 kids, and own a $500 car with $3,000 worth of tires and wheels...............
You need to get your priorities straight..........
That's only one of my points............

I'm sorry, I just missed the conection between that, and someone who molested and killed a child. I just think that some just dont like WORKERS coming here from Mexico, and working. But in the same breath we complain about our employees not showing up, screwing things up ect.

edrenckh
10-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Think about it...if we didnt have that labor force, who would work for us?

Hmmmm. Maybe regular Americans would have to do the work, and get paid more. There would be a shortage of workers only to those who did not pay enough. (Economics 101).

If their legal, I have no problem. But adding more workers reduces wages all around, all jobs.

If you can find a company in Mexico, 'rent' their workers. Bring them in on an L1 visa. No prevailing wage law. If they get paid $20 a day in Mexico, you can pay the company $40 a day. The worker keeps his same salary, $20 a day. No minimum wages, no workers comp, no soc sec.

L1 Visa, it's the way to go to get cheaper workers.

Doc Pete
10-27-2003, 08:43 PM
I'm sorry, I just missed the conection between that, and someone who molested and killed a child. I just think that some just dont like WORKERS coming here from Mexico, and working. But in the same breath we complain about our employees not showing up, screwing things up ect.

No, I have my share of my good friend's that are Mexican. Yes, it's not all of them by any means, however, most of those I see can't speak English, and can't communicate "in the country they want to live in". This is America, not Mexico..........
Learn English, don't make me learn Spanish.

And as far as the killing. I've been hear 53 years, and nothing like that had ever happened here. Having something like that happen by an illegal, for the first time, just does help things........

TRex
10-27-2003, 08:52 PM
I am with switch on speaking english at least. I feal it should be requiered for any non-american to have to learn english before they are able to get any type of visa or work for anyone. I am not against anyone but we should not have to learn spanish or japanese or chinese or arabic to comunicate with someone.

Fireman D
10-27-2003, 09:05 PM
Just so happens I got a letter in the mail today concerning this issue. It is from:
Marcus Drake Consultants
2 Dena Ct.
Park Ridge, NJ 07656
Phone 201-505-9122
Fax 201-930-0629
Email marcusdrakeh2b@yahoo.com
Toll Free Number 1-888-544-9122
10 or more $100 each
4-9 persons $200 each
1-3 persons $500 each
Group Orders Avalible

proenterprises
10-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Fireman-what are those prices for?:confused:

edrenckh
10-28-2003, 01:48 AM
I am with switch on speaking english at least. I feal it should be requiered

Yes, English should be required. Even for Americans........

NC Big Daddy
10-28-2003, 10:10 AM
No, I have my share of my good friend's that are Mexican. Yes, it's not all of them by any means, however, most of those I see can't speak English, and can't communicate "in the country they want to live in". This is America, not Mexico..........
Learn English, don't make me learn Spanish.

Nice paragraph. Maybe it would make more since in Spanish. My only question is, why does it matter if they speak English? Are you afraid they might be talking about you? Speaking Spanish gives me an upper hand in recruiting, training and retention of my growing workforce.
If you stand still you'll get passed by. I don't intend to get passed.

Doc Pete
10-28-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by NC Big Daddy
Nice paragraph. Maybe it would make more since in Spanish. My only question is, why does it matter if they speak English? Are you afraid they might be talking about you? Speaking Spanish gives me an upper hand in recruiting, training and retention of my growing workforce.

First, this is a hard topic because it’s not by a long short all Mexican’s and I’d never want to make it sound that way.
However, it seems very odd that a person with intelligence would come to this country and not “want” to learn the language that “from common sense” will yield them a higher paying job. I know when I was in Canada, and didn‘t know French, I felt left out, and had a hard time “navigating” the land.
Furthermore, from first hand experience, as I’ve mentioned, it’s odd to see so many of them riding in $500 car with $3,000 worth of tires/wheels…all the while standing in line for free baby food/diapers and with 3 or 4 young children at their side. In other words, there values as to what is important seem very lacking.
However, those that are my good friend don’t have these values………

Doc Pete
10-28-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by NC Big Daddy

Actually, you put your finger on it without knowing it.... YOU are taking the time/effort to learn Spanish, to advance yourself and social status and get ahead....... BUT, they aren't.....
Also, we should not "have to".............
Pete

Ol'time Lawncare
10-28-2003, 08:48 PM
:angry: there ok workers, but most dont speak english,new jersey is full of them in the grass cutting bizz!ask your clients , bet they dont want 20 borritos all over there lawn, they stair to much too, i use all women workers and they are always on time, always do a good job to!KEEP ALL BORRiTOS IN MEXICO,and give the work to are american people who need it!!!

lawnman_scott
10-28-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Ol'time Lawncare
:angry: there ok workers, but most dont speak english,new jersey is full of them in the grass cutting bizz!ask your clients , bet they dont want 20 borritos all over there lawn, they stair to much too, i use all women workers and they are always on time, always do a good job to!KEEP ALL BORRiTOS IN MEXICO,and give the work to are american people who need it!!!

a few comments on this highly intellectual post:
First, there are alot of americans that are too lazy to work, not all women are always on time, just like all mexicans dont STARE, thats right STARE, too much. Stair or stare hmmmmmm flight of stairs, stare at me. So your complaining that they dont know the language????

Doc Pete
10-28-2003, 10:08 PM
So your complaining that they dont know the language????

For the "Nth time".......No.... It's that "many of them", not all, want to be in America, but don't want to be "Proud to speak our language". How come they don't want to be in their country, but want to speak it's Language?
Why don't you tell me what's big the deal about "NOT" wanting to speak the language of the country you want be in, but hate your "home land" enough to leave it??????

the scaper
10-28-2003, 10:52 PM
i heard some statistics the other day (dont know if they're true but strongly suspect they are) a: mexicans already outnumber african americans in america b: by 2025 they will be the majority in america and white folk will be the minority. the good thing about this is that you won't have any problem finding mexicans. the down side is you might be the one doing the work, that is if keeping the yard clean is still an american priority :D

Coziac
10-29-2003, 02:07 AM
Hello everyone, I can't believe it, but I'm finally posting. I've been an avid lurker for years. I have even gotten some advice from Eric (he was really a great guy, we need more like him) through email and for one reason or another just never joined. I've gotten tons of information here and maybe it's time to start giving something back. Not that I know alot mind you.
Anyway, thanks to all that has helped me before even though you didn't know it.

I hope I don't make a bad first impression, but I do have some strong feelings on this subject, so here goes.

I would like everyone to remember something about our grand Country we live in. We are a Country of Immagrants that hate immagrants. No I'm not saying that this Country actually HATES them, but we forget WHY other people want to come here, and take an attitude that isn't in their favor. We get this attitude because we just don't take the time to learn about these "PEOPLE" and put ourselves in their shoes.

First of all, if you live in Mexico City, or any place in Mexico for that matter. You will be fortunate to get a job that pays in the $60.00 per week range. That is 8-10 hrs a day, 6 days a week. After generations and generations of this, you can see why that most of the Hispanic population are illiterate, or very limited education. This is only ONE reason why they don't learn English. They have a hard enough time learning other things because in Mexico whats the point of an education? You're definately NOT going to get a better paying job. I know of many Mexicans, one in particular who has a very nice job working for the water department in Mexico City. His job requires the equivilant to a High School education, which he has, and he gets the same wage as what I just mentioned. He lives in a house, one room, no bathroom, about the size of an average pick-up truck. He speaks some English and has no wife or kids.

On the other hand. I know of several men that come here for one thing and one thing only. TO WORK AND MAKE MONEY. Why? So they can send it back to Mexico for the families. Not JUST their wife and kids either. Mothers, Fathers, brothers, sisters etc etc.. The last thing on these mens mind is learning how to speak another language when they don't even know how to read and write properly in thier own language.

Put yourself in thier position. Can you even imagine what it would be like to bring home $100.00 per week? Just think of things we would have to give up. And before anyone goes off on the "cost of living" thing, sure the cost of living is lower there, if it wasn't there would be a government overthrow, and the whole Country would be in caios for years. The Mexican government knows this, and keeps things just out of reach for these people. Even though the cost of living is lower, it's still not as low as you think. The essentials are all basically the same.

If this Country were to "rid" ourselves of illegals think what affect that would have on you and me. First of all, that $25 steak dinner that you just paid for would wind up costing in the neighberhood of about $100. That slab that was just poured for your brand new house that should cost $5,000, just added another $10,000 to your mortgage. Should I go on, cause I got more?

One of the points I'm trying to make is this. I've been in Immagrations Attorneys offices before, several times in fact. Yes, there ARE immagrants coming to this Country and taking our jobs. Problem is, it's not the poor, un-educated, back-bone of a lower to middle class worker. It's the son or daughter of a high class family, college graduate, or here for college, working NOT in the "fields" but in the FIELD of Medican, Inginerring, Science. They are already wearing more money on their body (clothes, jewelry) than I have in my house, and will come here for one of only two reasons.
1) To live here in a nice house, own a nice car, pay taxes, and send the rest home without investing in THIS Country. I've seen that too. OR:
2) Get the education, and go home. This will continue the downward cycle in our Countries needs for the well educated. Has anyone seen or heard of the Doctor/Surgeon/Nurse shortage that's happening here in the good ole' U.S.? If you haven't, your kids and grandkids will.

Well it looks like I rambled on and on, sorry about that, maybe it's a good thing I don't post on a simple subject like "weed eater line pro's and con's" ..LOL . Like I said though, this is an important subject to me.

Thanks again everyone, I'll try to be of some help from now on.

Doc Pete
10-29-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Coziac
I hope I don't make a bad first impression, but I do have some strong feelings on this subject, so here goes.

Thanks again everyone, I'll try to be of some help from now on.

I think we're all starting to feel the results of too many people and not enough jobs and are looking at the first place we see a problem for the answer.
We have a spot in my area (I'm sure they are everywhere) where 100 or so immigrants gather and wait for job bosses to pick up workers for day labor. 40 years ago that was never the case. 40 years ago, my town never had in12 people living in a 1 room apartment. 30 years ago, I didn’t drive to a mall and find 70% of the people spoke a language other than English. I sure don’t see these things as improvements in are society.
Sadly, IMO, our country will end up like the lifeboat that can only accommodate 100 people and try to put in 101, which results in all 101 drowning.

AztlanLC
10-29-2003, 08:55 AM
30 years ago, I didn’t drive to a mall and find 70% of the people spoke a language other than English

All that people you see is buying tons of products and boosting the economy, it amazes me how much money we spend when we don't have a family in here, we try to compensate that by buying lots of stuff.

One of the main reason you see 10 people living in a single room apartment (Haven't seen that myself) is cause even the goverment has stupid rules for the h2b program, you are required to find a place for living for each person you bring to this country. that the rent be no more than $100 per month, what stupid is that? where can you find an apartment for that money?

50% of the people you see speking spanish also speaks english, the other 25% maybe are here for a couple of months and the other 25% don't care or just can't.

I think we're all starting to feel the results of too many people and not enough jobs and are looking at the first place we see a problem for the answer.

Or could that be looking who to blame for?

I have respect for you switchless you sound like a well educated person, but not we all are lucky, specially in mexico where you only have two choices , work or study, I've being working since I was 7 years old, and not delivering paper or a 3 hours job.
Not all have the facility to pick up a book and comprenhend what it says, memorize it, understand it, because we don't have the training for it.

Why don't you tell me what's big the deal about "NOT" wanting to speak the language of the country you want be in, but hate your "home land" enough to leave it??????
We dont hate our country by leaving, we hate seein our family starving, we hate seing our childrens not having the oportunities we dream of given'them, we hate seeing our parents turning 65 and not be able to retire, living poorly and a lot of times with no money to buy prescriptions and just watch and not being able to do anything abou it.
It's a big decision to take, leave your family behind miss all those precious moments whe your child starts walking or the first words, christmas, birthdays, some of us are stupid enought to fall for the cracks of alcohol or drugs, some star taking 2 or sometimes 3 jobs to be able to return as soon as posible, I'm 100% sure we all wan to learn english, but have many priorities before that.

leadarrows
10-29-2003, 10:01 AM
I have been working around the "Mexicans" for several years now. In the construction,specifically the drywall end of things I know they are paid the same as any one else. There not getting the work because there cheaper. There getting it because of there work ethics. They have the skills,they are fast and efficient and they are reliable. The two largest drywall companies I work with would love to find white guy crews that they could depend on. There clients whine about the home owners not wanting "Mexicans" in there houses.
I have mixed feelings about this myself. While I can certainly understand wanting to better your life so coming here makes sense. I just expect the playing field to be level. You wouldn't have to worry about a restriction on your housing if all the money came out of your own pocket instead of the rest of us paying for a h2b program. I also wonder why the Mexicans don't do something about there government. Maybe we should. LOL I just figure the best thing I can do is protect my own reputation with quality service and hope there will always be enough people in the world that are willing to pay for it. You just have to learn to compete in the world as it is guy's and gals. Complaining about the "Mexicans" has been used as just another excuse to blame others rather than shouldering it ourselves. Not that anyone on this site would ever do that! :) I did lose some work to a Mexican clean-up out fit once a couple years ago. My biggest client thought he could get it done cheaper so he used this other company for about three months. I got him back because all of his clients were complaining about the drop in the quality of the work.:) I know this is kind of rambling but there just some of the thoughts I have on this subject. Like I said I have mixed feelings on this one.
I have been trying to learn Spanish. Learning another language is not easy. At least not for me. I have a lot of respect for the "Mexicans" that can speak english. It takes some smarts to speak two languages. Just some thoughts of mine on this subject.
One last thought. I thing companies like General Motor's moving all there factories to Mexico is treason. I don't care if there is a nafta or not it's just moraly wrong. If there ever is a world war III do you suppose Mexico will let use change our GM plants over to making war supplies like they did here in WWII?

Coziac
10-29-2003, 10:10 AM
Well said AztlanLC.
I'm not a betting man, but I would bet that if this Country was suddenly put in the same shape as Mexico, we would see the following from our own:
In no particular order....

1) An increase in suicides
2) An increase in crime
3) An increase in depression
4) An increase in men and women leaving this Country for Canada to earn a wage at what ever cost to our family, ourselves, living conditions, health, safety and ridicule/judgement of others. We would do this for the same reasons that AztlanLC just mentioned, basically just to survive.
I don't have the answers either, but I feel it's not helping anything by passing judgement on a person that doesn't know how to speak english, or lives a different way than we do. Sure there are ALOT of immigrants here that need to be not only deported, but put in jail. But for the most part, I think WE ALL could learn a thing or 2 about our own way of living from them.

I'm not trying to flame you switchless, not at all. I respect your concern about our society we have here in the U.S. But if you look closer, I think the things that are flushing our society down the toilet are not done by immigrants, rather our own lack of concern for Govenment officials and the way this Country is headed. You are right that 40 years ago it was a better society, I agree. But 40 years ago we wouldn't have even DREAMED about our own Country doing the things it's doing today. Things that Corporate America is doing, sueing at the drop of a hat, taking the words of the Ten Commandments out of public places, the words "In God We Trust" off our money (or threatening to), taking God out of our schools, not to mention some more "contreversial" things such as abortion, caring for an endangered animal more than a community of Human Beings, etc. The way this Country is headed is to be blamed by us and our parents, no one else.

Proud to be an American we say?? No, I'm extremely THANKFUL to be an American. (I can feel the flames starting so let me explain). I/you or anyone else didn't do anything to deserve to be born here. We didn't take a special test, win a lottery, our parents didn't live a certain way, or anything of the sort. We were born American by the 100% pure grace of God and I consider it a gift. I still Thank God I was born on this patch of ground rather than another. But I still don't think I'm above anyone else that wasn't. Not saying you do either.

With all that said, I still think this is the best Country on the Block.

... that is all.

Ol'time Lawncare
10-29-2003, 10:15 AM
:dizzy: hey lawnman_scott, i see your from florida, so i understand your possition {edited out, please read guidelines)... but here in jersey the lawncare bizz is going to hell. we dont want the mexican labor ors taking all are jobs... the white man wants to be payed for what he does!!! i understand in florida you can get {edited out, please read guidelines)... what does eveybody think, should it be ok {edited out, please read guidelines) remmember what happen on 9-11 when you answer please. be truthfull :D

AztlanLC
10-29-2003, 11:31 AM
Please Ol' time refer to people in the way you expect to be treated, they're people not borrito.

Your question wasn't refer to me but i'm goint to say this, most of the terrorists that were on tha plane had visas, they weren't here illegally, only few of them where, and actually almost none because their visa were expired they weren't hispanic neither.

I have friend in NJ and myself have being there lots of time, I don't see the LC going to hell, my friend is doing better every year, what for the most part is companies that don't know nothig about this business that complain about this all the time, you loose customers all the time for many reason but the only time you loose a good quality customer is either cause they moved or your couldn't perform to their standars and meet their expectations.

Doc Pete
10-29-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Ol'time Lawncare
:dizzy: hey lawnman_scott, i see your from florida, so i understand your possition, tons of borritos down there,lol... but here in jersey the lawncare bizz is going to hell. we dont want the mexican labor ors taking all are jobs... the white man wants to be payed for what he does!!! i understand in florida you can get 3 borritos for the prize of one,lets get a vote on this... what does eveybody think, should it be ok for the borrito invation to are country or what, remmember what happen on 9-11 when you answer please. be truthfull :D

Part of the problem is the white man exploting the "Cheap labor" by paying "cheap" but charging "high". And, because many are illegal if they are hurt or docked pay, they say nothing because they will lose the job. Also, because there are 5 workers right behind them to take their job, they don't complain about working hours, conditions, pay, and general treatment for fear of, again, losing the job.

True, I can't find a college/high school senior that wants to work. But, like everything else that's not the whole problem. Like we all know in NJ, there's 100 day labors sitting around waiting for the truck to pick of some of them..... However, there's stilll plenty that sit around all day..... Not their fault. There's just too many and too few jobs.............. We just cannot save everyone, and that is what is a "hard nut to swallow".........It's just life......And, as more and more come into our country, we will have "more and more" without work, hungry, staving and sick.......

Doc Pete
10-29-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by AztlanLC
Please Ol' time refer to people in the way you expect to be treated, they're people not borrito..

As we say, it's not everyone, and I'm sure it's not you, as is my other friends that have "found the american dream".
Again, 99% of the people our church offers free diaper/formula/clothes/etc. to are mainly Spanish and spanish only speaking. And, I'm not saying thanks so bad... BUT, what I also see is "the laziness" of changing your child by the car and leaving the diapers in the parking lot. Or, getting a free clothes outfit for your child, changing the child in the parking lot and leaving the old clothes on the ground. Or, having the husband sit in the parking lot on the cell phone eating Burger King, and leaving the paper on the ground.............All of these, and with a commerical dumpster 15 feet away.
Again, I realize this is not you, but this is what we see from others.

Moguy
10-29-2003, 12:28 PM
"hey lawnman_scott, i see your from florida, so i understand your possition, tons of borritos down there,lol... but here in jersey the lawncare bizz is going to hell. we dont want the mexican labor ors taking all are jobs... the white man wants to be payed for what he does!!! i understand in florida you can get 3 borritos for the prize of one,lets get a vote on this... what does eveybody think, should it be ok for the borrito invation to are country or what, remmember what happen on 9-11 when you answer please. be truthfull"

Its amazing how certain posts get deleted or closed for whatever the reason, yet the above post is left. This doesnt seem very productive nor worthy of space on a website that is filled with great information. His or her blatant ignorance is sad at the very least. I understand some feel they have been cheated by a certain ethnic group for whatever given reason but, at least do it in a more respectful way.

chuckwk
10-29-2003, 12:49 PM
missed it... these thead topics always get flamed and killed...

closing, thanks MOguy