PDA

View Full Version : Do you re-use your leaf box, or just build a new one?

The Lawn Boy Pro
10-27-2003, 09:30 AM
What do you do? Store it every year, or build a new one, or just keep it on the truck?

paponte
10-27-2003, 09:56 AM
We reuse ours. Everything is framed out of wood, and just bolts onto our truck. Take12 bolts off and she comes off in two sections and goes in the shop. :cool:

G-father
10-27-2003, 10:52 AM
You might as well spend some time and make a good one (ez on and off). A well made box that is reused every year will mean less problems down the road.

walker-talker
10-27-2003, 12:15 PM
Take your time and do it right the first time...not just with the leaf box, but generally everything. Mine is constructed onto my truck and not easily removed, but the truck is dedicated to this and this only. Built it out of 2 x 6's.

MATT

Boycea
10-27-2003, 02:09 PM
I used to make a new one every year, but now things have changed. This year I had a fabrication company weld up a steel leaf box frame that slides into the back of my dump truck. This should last for years with out having to rebuild it.

Adam

dfor
10-27-2003, 04:10 PM
I reuse mine every year. I just have 3 sheets of plywood that I just bolt them onto the existing racks that I leave on all summer. Then the last sheet for the back door.

Shuter
10-27-2003, 04:23 PM
This season is 50% old and 50% new. I try to reuse as it saves money. Makes better business sense than throwing away the materials.

promower
10-27-2003, 05:42 PM
I reuse mine to, Its all framed in sections around my trailer with U-Bolts, like paponte said a few screws come off and its goes in storage till spring.

SLC1234
10-27-2003, 08:56 PM
If you plan on being in business for a while then, have a metal fabrication/weld shop build one for you. For years we made ours out of wood and every fall would end up having to replace, rebuild and redeisign it because of rot or different truck. A couple years ago we finally bit the bullet and spent the money on an all metal self contained unit. The best thing we ever did, now we put it on in the spring for spring cleanups, (which we never did in the past because it was such a hassel) and if we ever get a large chipping job we can have the box on in less than 15mins. The money that you will spend over the years on wood, will more than equal what you will spend on a well made metal one. Just my two cents

www.schmidtlawncare.com

studentlawn
10-27-2003, 09:15 PM
what kind of prices are you looking at by buying a metal one? also how universal are they? what if i am switching trucks?

Tvov
10-27-2003, 09:17 PM
We have a box that we store over the summer. The box is on stands that keep it at the level of the truck bed. Considering the size of the box, it is amazing, but two guys can just push it into the bed of truck in the fall when you back the truck up to it. Bolt it to the sides and bed, and you are ready to go.

LB Landscaping
10-27-2003, 09:18 PM
I reuse mine too. I am getting one more season out of the one I have now and will be rebuilding in the spring.

Boycea
10-28-2003, 01:43 AM
studentlawn,
I just had a fabrication company build me a metal frame that slides into the back of my dump truck. I used to make a new one every year but decided to purchase a metal one this year. Mine is only a metal frame with plywood sides. The frame in the end cost me $1,000. not painted with no sides. The total price of the box ended up costing me about $1,300 with plywood and paint. I got a price of $3,000 for a metal box with metal sides primed and painted. I felt this was way too expensive for me.

Adam

mike9497
10-28-2003, 01:47 AM
24 bolts and mine comes off in 4 sections door,sides and back

barnard
10-28-2003, 01:48 AM
I don't have a leaf box I leave mine on the ground in very small pieces

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
10-28-2003, 10:07 AM
after 3 years of rebuilding boxes every year i finally went and had a company build me an alum. box.........its very light wieght and i love the look of bare alum.

total cost was 2800

G-father
10-28-2003, 10:40 AM
Big Ram that is a REALLY nice box. It should last forever if you take care of it.

How much weight can you put in one of those things (ez dump)?
Is it dependent on the truck or is the dumper only rated for so much?

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
10-28-2003, 05:24 PM
the box itself wieghts about 350 pounds....

Ez-dumper claimes it will dump 6000# but i would say relistically its about 4500 it all depends on how the load is distributed i guess....but as far as leaves got i havent been able to pack that much weight to where it has overloaded....even when it is a full load from the trac vacs that have been ran through the loader.....so far i love it, the one thing i wanted was the framing on the outside so the loads slide out nice and they do just awesome.